CLOSED: The Cross

Cocktail and wine bar offering fine dining in a stylish grade 2 listed building with chandeliers, a velvet sofa, and an eclectic mix of antique and modern furniture. Menu changes regularly, and caters for coeliacs & special diets. Has Wi-Fi and gallery exhibitions, and outdoor fire pits. Reported closed to HappyCow June 2013. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Beer/Wine
2 Church Street
Woodbridge, England IP12 1DH

Open Tue-Sat 12-3pm, 6pm-late. Sun 12-3pm, closed Mon.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Lupercal
orangensaft
orangensaft

Not there anymore

Posted on 06 / 25 / 2013

The restaurant described in other people's reviews doesn't seem to exist anymore. This place is now called the 'East Coast Diner' and serves meat. It has a lot of pizza options so I guess it's vegetarian friendly, but I wouldn't go back there as a vegan: the veggie burger I think probably came from the frozen food section at Tesco and they had run out of vegan burger buns. It was tasty I guess (looottttss of chips!) but I made my family travel quite a long way to go there based off these reviews and was pretty disappointed. They were pretty happy with their bacon and steak burgers though.

Pros: Lots of chips (lots!), Nice garden to sit out in
Cons: Only 2 vegan options (plus a salad), Not homemade food (processed burger)
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Great place!

Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

Nice, stylish vegetarian restaurant with a decent number of vegan options - about a third of the menu. We had a pumpkin curry, a burger and a beetroot and carrot salad. All were delicious. For dessert we had the spiced cherry sorbet - which was a truly fantastic culinary experience - definitely try it!

Pros: Great dessert, Perfectly presented food, Perfectly prepared food
Cons: Could have more vegan options
Vegan Jonathan
Vegan Jonathan

Superb meal

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2012

We travelled to Suffolk for the weekend just so we could visit this restaurant and could not have been more pleased. A taxi is just £7 from the nearby Ufford Park Hotel! The restaurant is in a really nice old building, with an open fire at this time of the year! It has really nice artwork and is well laid out.

Service was excellent, friendly and with an in-depth knowledge of the menu. I could feel teh passion because it is run by the owners, who were both working very hard to keep customers served and appropriately amused.

The food was pefect, the team were flexible and certainly plenty of choice on the menu for vegans (me!). Vegan wines were also clearly listed.

So, good value, great food, really nice host in an exceptional environment...highly recommended!

Pros: Vegan choice, Passionate staff, Integrity

Michelle Stoddart
Michelle Stoddart

Vegan food in Suffolk, brilliant!!!

Posted on 07 / 30 / 2011

My boyfriend and I were driving back to London from Suffolk and I used the happy cow iphone app to see what was near by, I wasn't expecting a lot of vegetarian choice to come up but to my surprise The Cross was a 7 minute drive away from where we were. What a find! Woodbridge is a fabulous little town too, very picturesque! The Cross is not strictly vegan but they have lots of vegan choice and a knowledgeable friendly team of staff. I was pleased to say they had a decent amount of customers for a Tuesday lunch time, it looks like the locals like this place too. We had 3 courses and all were great, well thought out dishes with unique use of ingredients and very flavourful. Mmmmm mmmmm mmmmm, we'll definitely be back. I'm so pleased to find a vegetarian restaurant in a little Suffolk town, exciting!!!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly Staff, Lovely decor
Cons: none
marcstevens
marcstevens

Super Suffolk surprise

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2011

Having left Suffolk 8 years ago with barely a veggie restaurant in sight, we were very pleased when carnist friends suggested The Cross, prior to the seasonal Eastern Angles theatre show last night.

Great decor, perfect service (the right level of attentive and knowledgeable but not in your face), fast and excellent food, decent loos, centrally placed, nice building, who could ask for anything more?

Our non veggie friends also seemed well satisfied, and we'll definitely all be returning for more. Hope this lovely place survives and thrives.

Pros: Decent vegan selection, Great vegan drink selection, Super service
Cons: Could be 100% vegan!, Can't think of ..., any others!
Lupercal
Lupercal

Best. Dessert. Evar!

Posted on 05 / 23 / 2010

Just popped in after a weekend in the area, and was very pleasantly surprised. The restaurant is tasefully fitted out, and housed in a wonderful building. Service was efficient, friendly and showed an in-depth knowledge of the menu.

The food itself was very good indeed and offered a wide and varied choice for my Vegan partner, including a comprehensive Vegetarian wine list. Whilst all the food was delicious and of a very high standard, the desserts were simply amazing. I had the Chocolate Soufflé, and am stuggling to think of a time I have had a better pudding. And believe me, I've had a lot of puddings!

I cannot recommend this restauant highly enough, and will make sure to build in time for a visit whenever we are in even the vaguest vacinity again. One for everyone Vegan, Veggie or Omnivore!

Pros: Desserts, Wine List, Staff
Cons: Not in Birmingham!

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Cross: