CLOSED: The Crosby

Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant, lounge, bar, and bookstore. Dinner menu is offered til 11pm and includes pizza, pasta, tapas, salads, and soup. Live music some nights. Reported closed to HappyCow, June 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by kristinlovesfood
kristinlovesfood
kristinlovesfood

My favorite place to hang out in the OC.

Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

Ok, so first off, this place is NOT full vegan. They have a small vegan section on the menu and many vegetarian friendly items throughout. This place is still one of my favorite places to go w/ friends. Anytime I have a friend coming from out of town, I always bring them to The Crosby.
AND THEY'RE OPEN UNTIL 2AM EVERY NIGHT AND SERVE FOOD ALMOST UNTIL THEY CLOSE!!!! IN ORANGE COUNTY!!! LATE NIGHT VEGAN FOOD FIIIINALLY!

Lol, I apologize for the outburst, I just get so excited when I think about it. Now on to the review...

THE FOOD:
The best item on the menu (for us vegan's), in my opinion, is by far the "Orange Tomatoes". The title sounds odd, I know, but give these delights a chance. Before I became vegan, as a kid, one of my favorite foods in the world was Orange Chicken from a local chinese food joint. This is just that, but in a delicious vegan friendly form. I honestly can't believe the texture that they've created just by using the skins of a tomato... it tastes just like Chicken! It's culinary genius. :)
I like The Crosby's sweet potato fries slightly better than Veggie Grill's. Although they do seem to somewhat resemble eachother, Their's always seems to have a better texture and taste. They also offer a (vegan) chili cheese sweet potato fries dish that is amazing (I order without the cheese to make it vegan, but my vegetarian friends order with).
I frequent this place w/ many non-vegan and non-vegetarian friends of mine, and they all say that the food is amazing all around. Rarely are my friends ever displeased. I've only heard of one dish being a little bland, but other than that, everyone is consistently blown away by the chef's many creations.

THE STAFF:
I guess a lot of people have called this place a "hipster hangout" referring to it negatively, but it by no means carries the same i'm-way-better-than-you attitude that usually comes with things recieving a "hipster" title. I've met all 3 of the (very young and rather attractive) owners now from my frequent visits throughout the last year, and they're all extremely humble and helpful. Most of the staff is also just as pleasant. The only time that it's hard to get good service, understandably, is late night during the weekends. I heard that one of the cooks is also a cook over at Avanti Cafe, which is my favorite "all vegetarian" restaurant.

AMBIANCE:
Amazing. Boomboxes lining the walls, Dia De Los Muertos wallpaper, dark faux leather booths, dark woods. Yes.

Pros: Ambiance, Food, Staff
Cons: Really busy on weekend late nights, 21+ after 9pm on Thursday - Saturday

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Crosby: