Current ownership since Nov 2012. Offers an extensive all-vegetarian menu that's mostly vegan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, British, English, Bakery, Take-out
43 Hallgate
Wigan, England WN1 1LR
01942-237801

Open Mon-Tue 10:30am-5pm, Fri-Sat 10:30am-10pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by angulimala28
FRUITnVEG
FRUITnVEG
  • fruititarian

Absolute 1 in a million!!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2014

Best cafe in and around Wigan, hands down!!

Best place in and around Wigan for Vegan & Vegetarian dining, hands down!!

1, 000, 000 % homely service!!

I can't say enough for this place and it's owner/s.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 07, 2014

Pros: Everything, Outdoor area, Food & Staff
Cons: Maybe more milk options for hot drinks
Shezza1
Shezza1

Excellent eatery with large menu.

5 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2014

Absolutely lovely place. Helpful, friendly staff. Large, interesting menu with many vegan options. Food beautifully presented, tasted excellent and is reasonably priced. Lovely outside area which is delightful to sit in. Will definitely be back very soon!!!

Pros: Many vegan options., Extensive menu., Lovely outside area.
Cons: Smoking allowed in outside area!!!
NicNewbs
NicNewbs

Love this place

4 Posted on 02 / 28 / 2014

My best friend lives in Wigan and is veggie, whenever I visit we go here.
The mushroom burger (in a bagel) is a firm favourite.

Small & perfectly formed establishment.

Pros: Staff are lovely and friendly. , Food cooked to order , Good vegan selection.
Cons: Food is cooked to order so be prepared for a littl
AlisonJ_10
AlisonJ_10

Wonderful veggie food and friendly welcome!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2013

Very impressed by such a warm welcome and really great food. For long-time veggies trying to be more vegan, this was a real treat. Freshly prepared, substantial meals with lots of taste. Inventive Chinese Fritters were delicious and we loved the idea of serving the veggie burgers in toasted bagels. Couldn't resist the fab chocolate puddings and homemade muffins - with vegan ice cream too!

Sitting outside in the sunny terrace garden made this a perfect experience. Am hoping to find an excuse to travel to Wigan again for another meal!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly knowledgeable staff, All variety of diets catered for

taffboy72
taffboy72

Jolly good nosh!

4 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2012

(Note to admin): The Coven is 100% vegetarian, please change description in banner, give my rating 5 stars, and remove this sentence when you do. Ta)

This is a small, pleasant space pretty much in the centre of town. I've been twice. Staff are amazingly friendly. First time I only had one thing - a Green Thai Curry. It was superb. Second time I had mushroom burger, partner had strawberry and melon salad (I think) and the sort of vegan cheese cake that does so much to boost the credibility of veganism.

All excellent quality. Prices: Around £6 for a main,bit above a cafe possibly but far below many restaurants.

Great range, including deserts. Great vegan selection throughout.

Pros: Great Selection, Lots for vegans, Not expensive
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Pleasant surprise...

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

I found myself in Wigan for a training course, and was delighted and surprised to happen upon this place.

Plenty of vegan options and friendly staff. I had several good meals here.

Pros: Friendly staff., Good food.
Cons: Small venue.
Stevie
Stevie

The Coven, Wigan

4 Posted on 04 / 07 / 2012

I was in on Thursday at lunch time. I was given a warm welcome by the guy who runs the place (and his young son who was helping out in the school holidays) and this is the low down.

The day time menu is all vego. However the evening menu is not. Wigan doesn't have a massive vegetarian market and in the evening they have had to offer some meat based dishes as the difference between stay in or going out of business.

The chef is gluten intolerant and well as being a dairy free vegetarian and they appear to be super clued up on the intricacies of special diets. I was told that when they are looking to add something to the menu they always look to offer a vegan version first if the can concoct with falling back to lacto / ovo vego if they have to. I had a quick count on the day time menu and there was around 30 items on there marked as being vegan friendly, more than half the menu.

Its a small, cosy little place with seats at tables for 19 people and also a further 'comfy' chair to relax in if for someone who only wants a drink.

The opening hours have recently changed based on client demand so the best thing is probably to look at the their own website to see the current opening hours.

In terms of food quality, I had some soup and croutons to start with that was excellent. For a main I went for the croque left to the chefs choice as to which to have. I was this given 2 different ones on my plate - very nice. My friend went for the falafel burger and described it with the exact words of, 'really, really nice'. He then went for cake and custard for dessert and as is hypnotised by the gastronomic wonder tantalising his taste buds, again said it was 'really, really nice'.

Prices were reasonable and in terms of cross refed to the quality of the food, I felt it was good value.

The location is in the centre of Wigan very close to the local bus station and a few mins walk from either of the train stations.

Pros: Vegan vego friendly, Tasty food, Nice staff
  • TheCovenWigan TheCovenWigan

Hi there -thank you for your review - much appreciated. Just to let you know that the menu is 100% veggie with no meat products at all - this is the same daytime and evening menu. Our menu is, in fact about 90% vegan now with very very little dairy used and only available on specific dishes. We also offer raw vegan dishes daytime and evening.

dawnymarie
dawnymarie

A little piece of heaven!

5 Posted on 03 / 10 / 2012

I have visited Colin & Maria in The Coven (newly updated and looking fabulously quaint)twice recently and will be making it a regular habit.

The warm welcome is genuine and the cozy atmosphere makes dining a great social experience as well as an extremely tasty one!

I was highly impressed with the menu's - as I am vegan I was given a wonderfully creative menu of my own! The choice of homemade goodies was amazing. The prices competitive too. My husband is not veggie but this place is one of his favourite places to eat now - he loved the veggie lasagna and polished off some veggie desert too. I had mushroom burger and tried the jalapeno burger on the next visit - delicious and both come with a lovely salad that is dressed in the most divine taste sensation.

I cannot praise Colin & Maria highly enough - this establishment is rapidly becoming known as 'The best place to eat' in Wigan and I can understand why as I consider it to be one of the best places to eat in the UK!

Creative, tasty, fresh homemade dishes to tantalize your tastebuds!

Try it and see - you won't be disappointed!
Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 13, 2011

Pros: Excellent Food, Fresh produce, Extremely warm and friendly hosts
lady_linzi
lady_linzi

Fab little place!

5 Posted on 03 / 02 / 2012

Great food, lovely hosts and lots of vegan options! We are very lucky to have somewhere catering for vegans in Wigan. The place is run with real dedication and an obvious love of food, the menu is quite large and really varied and everything is yummy. They also do a lot of raw food and gluten free food so they cater for a lot of people. They have recently started opening for one evening a week too which is a real bonus for those of us (like me!) who can't get there in the daytime.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Very cosy, Evening opening once a week
Cons: Sometimes too busy and no tables free
northern foodie
northern foodie

welcome news at the coven

5 Posted on 02 / 26 / 2012

nothing too much trouble in this cafe. humble, upmarket, wonderful fresh food. dishes made just for you. made me an amazing vegan birthday cake. so many teas to choose from. raw food a speciality.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly, good value
Cons: not open 24/7 !
raisetheruth
raisetheruth

Best place to eat in Wigan Town Centre

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2011

There is an excellent choice of vegetarian food, it is all fresh and home-made. My favourite is the falafel burger and also Greek salad, Staff are always happy to accommodate individual needs/dietary requirements. There is also a good selection of drinks e.g Teas from around the world.

The only problem is that the seating area at the front of the deli/cafe is quite small and can sometimes be full however, on a nice day the garden to the rear is superb - It almost feels like your not in Wigan (which is a bonus).

The Coven serves the best and freshest food in Wigan town centre!

Pros: Fresh Food
Cons: Very small inside
angulimala28
angulimala28

Delicious food... convenient location

4 Posted on 05 / 17 / 2011

We have just made a trip to Wigan to try this place out.... the variety of food suitable for vegans was great! We had so many options.... and the welcome couldn't have been better... I had the satay stir fry extra spicy and my husband had the falafel burger... extra moist! He had a soya milkshake with fresh strawberries and I had a soya caramel latte and then we had vegan cake for dessert... lemon cake and peanut cake... both delicious and again so moist. Nothing is processed, it is all fresh food. It was certainly worth the trip. It is also conveniently located near to the bus and train stations. Friendly, casual eating and good for a chat.

Pros: vegan range, tasty and healthy, convenient location
Cons: bit small

Dear Owner and Manager of The Coven: