Serves meat, veg options available. Restaurant, beer garden, and live music venue. There is a vegan burger on the menu, and on the first Thursday night each month vegan specials are offered. Relaxed atmosphere; next door is a car wash and a laundromat, and in the back is a kids' playscape and an outdoor fireplace. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Organic, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
606 W Cypress St (San Pedro Ave)
San Antonio, Texas 78212
210-227-2683

Open Tue-Thur 11am-10pm, Fri-Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 12-7pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by Elsie
JoanScotVilla
JoanScotVilla

their vegan bacon cheezeburger is where it began

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2014

I tried their vegan bacon cheezeburger last year and decided that if veganism can taste this good, I can give it a shot. Many documentaries, podcasts, and restaurants later, I'm a devoted vegan.
My husband and I went back by The Cove today to have some lunch, and that glorious burger is still as delicious. One solid bite of cashew cheeze pickles lettuce tomato burger and bacon transported me back to that special life-changing day! YUM!

eleven11
eleven11

fun for you and your friends

4 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2014

You get your vegan fix, with whole organic ingredients! And your friends get organic "happier" free range meat. Also they have love music, a big play area for the kids, lots of plants, 50 something texas beers on tap one of which was made in town and organic (blue star- the texican) I liked my food and enjoyed the experience

Pros: Atmosphere, vegan friendly, organic whole ingredients
alxsrbraun
alxsrbraun

Such a unique SA experience

4 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2014

The Cove is a restaurant, bar (w/ live musical performances), laundromat, and car wash. And it's a truly unique place.

It's a great place to go with an omnivore group, because they have really tasty vegan options, but most of their menu contains animal products.

I SWEAR by their vegan bacon cheeseburger (w/ sweet potato fries). It's one of my favorite veggie burgers I've EVER had. It's amazing. Do NOT miss it.

Pros: Vegan bacon cheeseburger!!!!!, Tons of Texas beers on draught, Cool place - very fun - eat outside!
Cons: Long lines to order, Always forget they're closed Mondays

sarahandjesse
sarahandjesse

LOVE this place!

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

My husband and I had a great time here! It is such a fun and unique place. They have live bands, a great playscape, a dog run, and fifty beers on tap. We had the vegan bacon burgers, and they were incredible. Try this place out- it's awesome!

OceanLover
OceanLover

So good!

4 Posted on 12 / 21 / 2013

I went here with my meat eating family and they really enjoyed it too. They literally have something for everyone.

Debraruns
Debraruns

Awesome Food

4 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2013

Once again, I was not disappointed in The Cove. I had the Lisa Special, 2 Fish Tacos and Spinach salad. The special sauce is to die for, so incredibly Yummy. And shared a piece of the Carrot JalapeƱo cake. Drove from South Mississippi and had to make sure a stop here was included in the trip. I would eat here everyday while visiting if I could, but I don't think my eating lifestyle can take it.
Try it, I promise you won't regret it.

Pros: Excellent Food, so Yummy, Great atmosphere, Friendly, fast service
Cons: Dining on covered patio, was pleasant though
askkaren
askkaren

Fun and Funky!

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

Love this place when I am looking for a casual, urban experience. The owners have built most of this by hand, and they are committed to doing good in and for their community too. I've hosted meetings in their independent party house and I love both the food and the vibe! They use local meats and produce and always have a dessert I can eat!

zaphod
zaphod

Good food, cool place

4 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2012

I had the vegan bacon cheese burger - it was really good. My wife had the vegan BLT on gluten free bread - it was good, too. The only problem was something had gluten... probably the veggie bacon. The fresh cut french fries are good, too. The band that was playing was pretty good, just a little "twangy" for my taste (of course, we were in Texas).

Pros: Good food, Fun place, Friendly
ErikaAnne
ErikaAnne

Naked

4 Posted on 06 / 14 / 2011

Looooooooooooooove the Naked Bella Burger! By far the best thing on the menu!

Pros: Great food, Veg Options, Live Music
Cons: Pricey
JenD
JenD
  • raw

Finally getting the recognition they deserve!

4 Posted on 05 / 06 / 2011

We have been going to The Cove since 2002, shortly after it opened. It instantly became our favorite restaurant. Not many places have excellent food, a wide selection of beer and wine, and a playground. The Current quickly named them the best place to go if you have kids.

Since then, they have been featured in Texas Highways, (Quirkiest Places in Texas) Texas Monthly, (Best Burgers) and of course, "Diner's, Drive-ins & Dives."
It's a great place to take out of town guests, since they have options for vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores. People are always amazed that great food can come out of a place with a car wash and a coin laundry.

We moved to Laredo a few years ago, but we still get to The Cove about twice a month. The vegan BLT with sweet potato fries and an ice cold Peroni is well worth the drive.

Pros: Kid friendly, Great staff, Awesome Food
patitacolordecafe
patitacolordecafe

Best Potabello Mushroom Burger in SA!

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2010

I started going to The Cove because they had hamburgers from "Happy Cows", grass fed free range cows. However, I recently adopted a vegan lifestyle and still go there for their Bella Burger. Although it is not labeled as Vegan, you can order it w/out cheese and poblano sauce. It is definitely awesome. I have ordered their vegan burger but in my Opinion the Bella Burger is better. They also have some great sweet potato fries and lentil soup. Today they had vegan cookies which were so delicious.

Pros: Healthy Options, Eco Friendly , Outside seating
Cons: Not 100% Veg, Can get Loud, Limited Vegan Options
d0nk3yd00d
d0nk3yd00d

One Item to Try!

3 Posted on 11 / 10 / 2010

The Cove has good intentions. It is a great place to take fellow meat eaters and to still enjoy this one delicious vegan item on their menu.

I'm referring to the "Vegan Bacon Cheeseburger" that another reviewer posted. This item is worth coming back for, it's great for non-vegans also!

My only problem with the cove is that it sells this image of "happy" or "responsible" meat. As a vegan, I don't think this helps further a socially proactive approach to veganism. There are many mainstream buzzwords on the menu such as "humanely raised" or "organic/free-range".

I still applaud the cove for being conscious of veganism, but it should definitely try supporting it more. With an item as tasty as that burger, and vegan night (every first Thursday of every month) where they experiment with new vegan dishes, it is something they should definitely cater more to. Vegan food is as "conscious" as cooking can get, which is something that they're aiming for--they just kind of miss their mark by saying that their meat is any less cruel than some other restaurants dead meat.

Pros: Delicious Burger!, Great selection of Beer, Nice Atmosphere
Cons: Pro-"humane" meat, Not enough vegan options
lwayne
lwayne

vegan food in texas?!

4 Posted on 11 / 01 / 2010

yes there is! At the cove you can throw in a load of laundry order up some vegan clubs and vegan bacon cheese burgers AND get your car washed. This place suits everyone, kid friendly, dog friendly, meat friendly, and vegan friendly. There's a play ground for the kids, a bar for the adults and everyone is happy. They are organic and try to be sustainable (biodegradable cups and a veggie garden). The cove makes everything 'homemade', from their own vegan burgers to cutting their own fries. (I'd rate this 5 stars but since they serve meat, top is 4)

Pros: homemade, food for everyone, good value
Elsie
Elsie

Relaxed atmosphere with made-from-scratch food

4 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

I just moved to San Antonio, and was happy to find this place near my neighborhood. I took an out-of-town guest (who eats meat) there because they have both meat and vegan options, and I was able to pitch it well since one of their (meat) burgers was voted #5 in the Top 50 Best Burgers by Texas Monthly magazine in 2009. In fact, the atmosphere is so unique that my guest kept asking if I knew of any place like it in our home state, even before tasting the food! The vegan menu seems to be more extensive than what is listed online because I ordered a vegan bacon cheeseburger that I found written on a vegan menu chalkboard inside the restaurant. I am really impressed that they make their own thin crispy tofu bacon, rice/bean burgers, and spicy cashew cheese- so nothing is from a package here! Also, they had big, thick vegan snickerdoodle cookies the day I went, which I was told sell fast, so be sure to order your vegan dessert when placing your meal order. Oh, and try out their homemade ginger ale- it is awesome and fresh tasting! Everything is served in plastic baskets like a diner and the whole place is just very relaxed...seems to be really popular with families with kids, and dog owners. Just be aware that when you go looking for this place, keep a look-out for a carwash! It is all connected with the restaurant, along with a laundromat, haha! I can't wait to try out the "Vegan Night" next month and hoping to meet other like-minded people there.

Pros: Homemade food, Very vegan-friendly, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: small parking lot/street parking

Dear Owner and Manager of The Cove: