The Coup

Modern Calgary vegetarian restaurant with art display on walls. Non smoking. Patio seating available. Food prepared from local and organic ingredients. Try the curry, peanut satay, and veggie sushi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Beer/Wine
924B 17th Ave SW (8th St SW)
Calgary, Alberta
403-541-1041

Open Tue-Thur 11:30am-3pm and 5-10pm, Fri-Sun 9am-3pm and 5-11pm, closed Mon.

First Review by juliotnunes
Friendlyjj
Friendlyjj

Now we're talking!!!

4 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2014

Reminds me of eating clean in Los Angeles. Great vibe. Awesome atmosphere. Staff is incredible. Food is electric. Thank you for this stunning experience!

I'll be back, again and again!

vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

best veg option in Calgary

5 Posted on 11 / 02 / 2013

A vegetarian staple in Calgary. My favourite item is the veganized Treehouse Sandwich with smoked tofu and basil pesto vegan mayo. Nice location. Very busy!

ljdahl
ljdahl

Great Funky Food

4 Posted on 05 / 01 / 2013

I've eaten here several times with some omnivore friends and each time the food has been fun, fresh and original - everyone always enjoys the food, the service and the atmosphere....but get there early as there is always a line up.

Great vegan/veggie food for Calgary - a steak city.

Pros: fun food, great flavors
Cons: long wait to get in at times
kimward8
kimward8

Really Good

4 Posted on 12 / 16 / 2012

I had a vegan pasta dish that was really good. I love how you can add steamed broccoli or chickpeas to any dish. For Calgary, it was way better than I expected. All three omnivores who came with me and ordered vegetarian dishes liked their food too.

saveur
saveur

nothing spectacular but still good solid meals

4 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2012

The food is good but it is not spectacular and certainly nothing to rave about. I had the smoothie of the day which avocado and mint which was nothing that I couldn't make myself. Good but nothing novel. I had the club med salad, as recommended by the server. It was romaine lettuce with olives, sun dried tomatoes, carrots and sprouts with cold mashed falafels in a lemon-tahini dressing. However I think they forgot the tahini in the dressing. The dressing was a bit too heavy for me, but the salad was pretty good nonetheless. For dessert, I had the chai ginger float with tofu ice cream. Liked this a lot despite the ice cream being a bit icy for my liking. All-in-all, a solid meal, but nothing too adventurous. A bit pricey for my tastes, too.

Pros: good at accommodating vegans
Cons: pricey, standard veg eats

vegan frog
vegan frog

As good as it gets for Calgary?

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2012

As Calgary has such a poor selection of veg*n options, this is pretty much as good as it gets for them. The restaurant has been open 7 or 8 years, yet the menu has barely changed. There is always a line up outside and they won't sit you unless your whole party has arrived. They take no reservations either. Fair enough when you're popular.
Brunch is great, the tofu messy Jane is delicious and the Yam fries with the miso gravy - apparently vegan is also a must try.
The vegan options are not clearly identified on the menu as they should but servers are usually knowledgeable enough. It helps that the owners are veggies as well. For Calgary, it's a hit. If this was teleported to Portland or San Francisco, might not have worked out so well.

Pros: convenient location, decent vegan options
Cons: often long wait, noisy
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Great food but....

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

I love this place, but its always busy. And I mean ALWAYS busy. Its super small, the wait always takes forever, and the hours kinda suck. However that being said the food is amazing. Just make sure to check for honey in some of the vegan dishes. Last time I went (a very long time ago) they had vegan rootbeer floats. Yes please!

Pros: Super good food, Interesting food creations, fun atmosphere
Cons: A little pricey, Super busy and hours suck, Table waits are long
vvvvegan
vvvvegan

Very disappointing

2 Posted on 06 / 10 / 2012

Loud though pleasant enough ambience. Easy to get seated if you go early. Food average - not very original or very subtle. All the dishes I have had are one taste items - the first mouthful will be what you taste throughout the dish. Boring. Cracked and chipped plates a real turn off. If this restaurant was in a town with more veggie options the Coup would not get the inflated ratings thatit has. Wouldn't go again.

vegtravels
vegtravels

great little place!

5 Posted on 06 / 09 / 2012

one of the best experiences for us in veg restaurants - the food was amazing and was ready pretty quickly, the design was pretty cool, as for the service is was simply awesome - our girl server was really friendly and helpful, and totally went out of her way to advise us on the menu items. really great place, we'll definitely be back on our next Calgary visit! oh and they have a great outdoor patio too!

Pros: service is awesome, food is totally yum, design and location
Doritto
Doritto

coup

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2012

One of my favorite Calgary eating establishments. Good food, local fresh, interesting twists on the menu. Central location, a nice stop on 17th.

Pros: Good menu, local fresh whole food, yummy
Cons: small, could improve seating, needs to expand.
Profound_Raincloud
Profound_Raincloud

Best Vegetarian Restaurant IMHO!

5 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2012

We came down to Calgary for a fun weekend. Visited the Glenbow Museum, the Calgary Tower and just wandered as my fiance had never been to Calgary. For dinner our choice was The Coup. We had looked up restaurants on Happy Cow prior to going and decided on this one! I was pleasantly suprised/blown out of the water and quite jealous that we did not have a restaurant/lounge like this in Edmonton. There was a wait so we began in the lounge and got to choose drinks from an extensive and fun drink menu! Once we were seated in the restaurant we had the pseudo sushi to start and were both amazed by it. It was the best veggie sushi we ever tasted and was not at all boring like you might expect or have come to be familiar with. For dinner I had The Green House Effect and my fiance had the beach front hot pot. Both great dishes. This restaurant is the best vegetarian restaurant I have ever been to. It has yet to be topped.

Pros: Amazing Food, Friendly Staff, Amazing Atmosphere
erised
erised

Delicious

4 Posted on 02 / 19 / 2012

The Coup offers many choices for both vegetarians and vegans, and almost any dish that has animal products can be replaced with a vegan alternative.
I have been here twice, and the first time was slightly mediocre (I bought the tempeh shawarma). I thought it was good but nothing I hadn't tasted beforehand.
However, the second time was astonishingly delicious! I purchased the tofu on organic foccacia, and was pleasantly surprised. The tofu was marinated very well, and not overcooked. The foccacia was hot and fresh.
I would say it is a bit overpriced as I can prepare the same food at home for a lower price, but it's nice to see what they offer for vegans.
Very friendly, as well. They aren't offended if you ask them if it's vegan or not, and are very warm.

Pros: Delicious, Very friendly staff, Healthy
Cons: Slightly overpriced
krazykone
krazykone

Amazing

5 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2011

I have nothing bad to say about this place. The food is always amazing and the staff are all friendly. anyone who says the food take too long neeeds to realize that good things take time!! They also have a cookbook!

Pros: great food, vegan friendly, great staff
daphne1d
daphne1d

What amazing people! And the food is even better!

4 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2011

I live in Saskatchewan and was lucky enough to dine at The Coup when visiting Calgary last spring. My family and I had a wonderful time, but I had been craving the Luigi Linguine ever since.
When I noticed that the Luigi Linguine wasn't on the online menu I wrote to the staff to see if this was a specialty item or if they had discontinued it.
The responded and told me that they switch up the menu a couple times a year, but then offered to make Luigi Linguine the evening special when I got to town!
What exemplary service! Talk about going above and beyond.
So we went, we ate and once again we enjoyed.
I also have to recommend the "Hot Pants" beverage, a fabulous twist on the Bloody Mary and the baked rosemary yam fries with garlic aoli were too good to be true.
The Coup is a wonderful place to eat, and though it might be a bit of a wait for dinner, the "Meet" lounge is a lovely place to sit and enjoy some nibbles while you wait.
My Luigi Linguine was worth the wait!

Pros: great food, outgoing staff, good portions
Cons: long wait time, loud dj
francistegg
francistegg

Stylish - with attitude

2 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2010

Details researched on Happy Cow, I arrived in the 'Coup' to find a gentleman waiting in front of me.
He was sorted out and lead off, and I was then informed there would be a 'wait' of about 45 minutes, and would I care to wait.

As there appeared to be spare tables, and they don't accept 'bookings', I declined the invitation, and went looking elsewhere.

Apparently they have a waiting area (so I am informed) that serves drinks - to be purchased of course.
I don't know if this a ploy to get more money out of clients, that's not a known fact to me, but telling people there is a wait when there are visibly tables open seems strange at the least.

Pros: pleasant decor, easy to find, menu looks great
Cons: no spare tables, could be hard to find a parking spot
Tara2323
Tara2323

Love the Adult Atmosphere

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2010

Date: Saturday, August 21, 2010
Time: 12:00 pm
Wait Time To Be Seated: 2 minutes (Sat on Patio)
Meal: Lunch - messy janes, grilled treehouse, side of seasoned potatos and a fruity piece of cheesecake

The atmosphere appeals to us. Casual yet still a nice restaruant. Love to have the option of a patio. The Coup is geared towards adult clientele. They have a sign in the enterance that states that they do not provide high chairs or kids menu and ask that all children remain seated for the duration of their meal. **Huge round of applause!**

Messy janes is The Coups version of a "trashy" lunch dish. I would say it falls somewhere in the sloppy joes and poutine category but healthier. The crumbled tofu, red onions and miso gravy were a nice combination.

We enjoyed the grilled treehouse sandwhich. The smoked sliced tofu and crumbled gouda was a good combination. Although it was hard to eat. (Difficult to hold like a sandwhich and hard to cut through with fork and knife.)

We both had seasoned potatos as our side. The rosemary seasoning was tasty and potatos were cooked well, however, we found them to be a little salty.

The white chocolate cheesecake with fruit had a nice texture. Not to sweet. The crust had a nice pumpkin spice to it.

The Coup does not take reservations, is geared towards smaller groups (not more than 6), and you will have to wait to be seated if your entire party does not arrive at the same time as you do.

We enjoyed our first meal at The Coup and will go back again. We cant wait to taste the dinner and apps menu.

Pros: Creative Dishes, Adult Orientated, Atmosphere
Cons: Price
Rawtastic
Rawtastic

• raw

Falafel Magic!

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2010

I ate here last weekend after a hiatus of I don't know how long for no other reason then that usually when we want to go out to eat dinner and we inevitably drive by The Coup there is an awfully long line or 'Meet' looks packed meaning LONG waits! But rightfully so as this place is delicious and has a fantastic vibe with great menu options. I had the falafel quesadilla with the house salad and it was perfection - Fresh ingredients and awesome flavor. I also had a cold coconut chai with almond milk and this I would highly recommend as it was mind blowing. Overall the service was great, the food was delish and the wait wasn't a problem on the Saturday afternoon we were there:)

Pros: Delicious food, diverse menu, great prices
Liam Wilson
Liam Wilson

I back it...

5 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2010

When a restaurant is doing things like composting waste, growing their own organic vegetables, running the place on wind power, filtering all their water, and making it a point for guests to bring their own to-go containers, they have my support...Although I was in a bit of a hurry, I didn't mind the wait too much, and at least they had a comfortable side-room/bar to spend it in, but I agree there is one, and that it could become daunting if you're a regular. I had the Komodo Salad and a daily special potato leek soup, the burger looked great on my friend's plate and the vegan torte was a nice meal-topper. The friendly, hip and attractive staff didn't hurt either...

Pros: Ethical
Cons: Long wait
Nora74
Nora74

Great food, great service

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2010

I come to Calgary for business, and what I look forward to most is eating at Coup. The drinks, the food, the dessert. I eat there every night I'm in town (except Mondays unfortunately), and for lunch whenever possible. Can't get enough of it! Some of the best and friendly service anywhere. LOVE IT. Please open a Coup in Vancouver!

Pros: Great staff, So many options, Soup of the day
Cons: Closed Mondays
bobotheclown
bobotheclown

Still Disapointed

2 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2010

I visited The Coup last year for the first time, didnt have a good experience, not fond of having to wait in line for half hour to eat, ecspecially for food that is bland and over rated and overpriced. I decided to give them another chance recently, unfortunately nothing changed, I am resolved to realize that I just dont like it!

Pros: location
Cons: expensive, bland, long waits
23skidoo
23skidoo

I love this place

5 Posted on 11 / 23 / 2009

You may have to line up to get into the Coup, but the wait is worth it. Great casual vegetarian/mostly vegan food, and some nice cocktails. The service is great.
Note that some dishes are bigger than others - you'll probably get way more dip or bread than you need, and the panini are a good size, but you might find the french toast or tempeh Reuben small.
One of my favourite dishes there is Club Med, basically a falafel in salad form. Everything is so fresh.

Pros: Excellent food!
Cons: Inconsistent portions
Jessica O
Jessica O

4 Posted on 11 / 13 / 2009

The Coup is only okay. I find the portions too small, and the restaurant too small as well. It's always a wait and it's always too crowded to sit and talk, or be comfortable at all. The music is also often too loud, which also makes it a pain to carry on a conversation. The food is GOOD, very good, but also very overpriced for portion sizes. The staff there is always friendly and kind but it's too bad the owner is so cheap.

Pros: fun staff, great food
Cons: overpriced, crowded
dagny70
dagny70

Lovely Surprise!

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2009

We'd spent a few hours hungrily wandering around Calgary, looking for restaurants that had either closed down or looked a bit grim. The Coup was the last one on our list, and what a great surpise it was. Small & trendy, like a hip bar, it was jumpin' when we arrived, but we managed to get a nice booth. I had the dragon bowl - tofu, rice, veggies, miso gravy - and my partner had a veggie burger and sweet potato fries. The food was really delicious, just the right amount, and our server was nice & friendly, giving us tips on where to go in Calgary. Only con I can think of was the rubbish music playing, which seemed more suited to a cocktail bar. But hey, it sure didn't interfere with our enjoyment of the meal!

After such a long, arduous trek to get there, The Coup was a lovely reward. We would definitely eat there again.

Pros: Great food, Ambience/decor, Friendly staff
vegan madd
vegan madd

to blow the coup

3 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2009

Everyone told me I must go here for amazing food and drinks. Well, I went 5 times, no visit was amazing! The drinks - not amazing, bland or too sweet. The food- too posh. I want real food that's not on foccasia/frozen wraps/or red quinoa. Staff- pretty top notch, they know there stuff. (not to say for the Saturday morning staff) Breakfast- vegan options-limited- only one thing I'd consider ordering again.
On my second visit I got a long blond hair in my quinoa curry. The server said no one worked there with blonde hair- funny enough-I could see through the windowed door to the kitchen -a blonde haired guy with a pony tail. The server said he's just the dishwasher...not kitchen staff! Whatever-they took it off my bill, then I gave it to a homeless guy outside (they put it in a to go container)
I am a vegan living in calgary---where can I eat out???

Pros: service, atmosphere
Cons: closed 3-5?, expensive, still thirsty!
  • Bigbluewhale Bigbluewhale

Hi Vegan Madd try UP THE ROAD its in forestlawn, they have real food1

• Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi there Vegan madd, I thought your review was helpful. I sure get pretty disgusted when I find hair in my food.

ericn
ericn

• non-vegetarian

Top notch

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2009

What a surprise! What delicious food! And great service. I like to check out different kinds of food on the road. Vegetarians (and those who wish we were) will be in seventh heaven. Non vegetarians will, like us, come back the next day for more.

bobcat
bobcat

LOVE

5 Posted on 07 / 24 / 2009

My friend and I discovered this restuarant last summer while I was living in Calgary. She was a vegan and I a loving-meat eater. She took me here and i was a bit apprehensive, however I loved it! We ate here everyday while she was here at least once, and I ate there at least once a week on my own. You could say that this little restaurant helped me become a vegetarian, as of that September I was a declared non-meat eater. It's been a year, and we're back again and we still love the food. And, wiht the added menu for the meet lounge it is great! The Poutine, Sushi sans the rice, Dragon bowl (any sauce), and of the salads and soups, smoothies...we've loved it all. Only negative, the service is ALWAYS friendly, but a bit slow. We don't mind as we are never in a rush, but if you bring some meat eating friends here, make sure to prepare them for a LONG dinner, as you will find yourself waiting a lot. Love the food, love the servers. THey are always so friendly, and very helpful when it comes to choosing dishes. The Upstream Burger is Divine, as is the Rose Stack, the Tacos and the Yam fries, my list goes on and on. If you have a wheat allergy, the menu is limited for breakfast (my friend is Vegan and has this allergy), but there is one thing on the menu she can get sans the bread...we're going to try it this weekend!

Pros: Excellent food, Healthy Choices, Friendly
Cons: Slowish service
ReneeR
ReneeR

Super!

4 Posted on 06 / 26 / 2009

I love The Coup! I find it so hard to find inventive meals as a vegetarian in this city trying to eat out that its nice to have a place I can try different things- and they all taste fantastic! The only negative is they don't seem to change their menu very often, and as it is fairly limited it would be nice to see some new items.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff
Cons: Needs menu update
CarolineLouise
CarolineLouise

Over Rated

2 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2009

I have been to The Coup several times over the past four years. A few of those times, the food has been very good. The rest of the time, the food hasn't been anything special. I once ordered some take away and they got my order wrong. I did not notice this until I got home an hour later. I phoned and they told me I'd have to bring it back to the restaurant for a refund. This was half an hour before they closed. So, I went the next day to return it and they refused to give me a refund, stating that it was "too late." As the ex president of the Calgary Vegetarian Society, I can say that The Coup has never been open to any cooperation with the society at all. They did, once, promise to give some leftovers to me for me to take to a vegetarian family from Edmonton who were staying with their son at the Alberta Childrens' Hospital. When I got there, there was only a cup of soup available. I'd taken the bus for an hour to get that! In comparison, other organizations were very generous and supportive of the family during their time of need. I don't appreciate The Coup's refusal to sit anybody other than a full party. I find their servers quite arogant, at times. As a "fat vegan", I can safely say that some of the staff have been very rude and snooty with me -- even though I've been vegan since before they were born. Compared to many other vegetarian restaurants I've been to, The Coup is a largely unsatisfactory experience. Their food is over priced and over rated. I don't bother going anymore.

Pros: good location, good cajun tempeh
Cons: over priced, over rated, unfriendly staff
veg.dan
veg.dan

Best in Calgary

4 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2009

Being "cowtown" by title, Calgary doesn't offer much when it comes to vegetarian or vegan cuisine. I first tried this place in 2006 (before I was vegetarian) and really liked the food...showed me that veg could be fun and interesting as the soul members of the meal. And recently I was in Calgary again and it was just as good. I had the Satay Tofu. Unfortunately that was all as I had to run off but service was quick (did get there on the dot of when it opened) and the service was good.

Pros: Good food, Cool environment, Best in town
Cons: Tad pricey
Maddymac
Maddymac

Amazing

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2008

Best Vegetarian Restaurant i've been to so far and i live in vancouver. All the dishes are inventive and delicious. The yam fries are amazing, Best veg restaurant in the city!

bella
bella

suprised

5 Posted on 10 / 06 / 2008

I am suprised at the past couple Coup reviews. I am their every week, and find the atmosphere, values, and food consistently good...especially for this tough, somewhat impatient, meat oriented city.
I give top ratings.... the general public must be behind me aswell, since they received 2 more ffwd awards this year....keep up the good work.

Pros: friendly, consistent, cozy
Cons: closed mondays
tinac
tinac

Just okay

3 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2008

With so few veg restaurants in town, I am sad that I just dont enjoy The Coup that much. I have eaten at vegetarian & vegan restaurants around the world and this one falls at the bottom of my list. The mixed appetiser plate is decent but all of the main courses I have tried were either bland, boring or dry (despite how good they sound on the menu). The atmosphere is nice, the staff have always been friendly, but the food is quite underwhelming.

Jetgirly
Jetgirly

Underwhelming

2 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2008

I went to The Coup in Fall 2007, for a late(ish) lunch. The Coup is the type of place where middle aged women in track suits will sit there chatting for forty minutes after they've finished their meal, even though they know you're waiting for a table (and the staff don't do anything to hint that they should leave). In other words, it doesn't have that friendly, "we're in this together" vibe that a lot of vegetarian places have. I had "El Taco" and was totally disappointed. I couldn't see ANY evidence of avocado or sweet beans. It was like a dry tortilla stuffed full of dry quinoa. Dry, dry, dry. Boring, boring, boring. The Soup of the Day was a bit better, I believe it was a curried yam and lentil. I had hoped The Coup would be like Rebar (in Victoria, BC), but instead it was dull, uninspired and just plain bad. Skip it.

Pros: Menu LOOKS appealing., Nice decor.
Cons: Menus TASTES appalling., Laissez-faire staff.
dkingdesigndotcom
dkingdesigndotcom

The Dijon There Taste Just Like Wasabi

3 Posted on 08 / 29 / 2007

The attendant went to the kitchen and confirmed that it was dijon. (My husband told me that dijon don't usually taste that way.) I am sure it was wasabi. The colours and the taste were totally ones of wasabi. I have tasted mustards before, and this one was totally wasabi. The tempeh appy consists of 3 tempeh sticks (equals to 6 to 9 pieces of french fries). The beach hotpot wasn't that hot. Overall they were good food. Our meal was 18 CND (excluding the gratuity), the portion was medium (not big). It was worth a try, but it is out of our usual budget range. (The had loud music there, maybe it was the volume).

matthew
matthew

Fantastic

5 Posted on 08 / 05 / 2007

We recently went to The Coup on a Saturday night around 7pm for dinner while on vacation, and the wait was only 10 minutes or so. Our server was very helpful and friendly and recommended some great dishes. She was also very knowledgable about what was vegan or could be made vegan (almost everything). We got the spiced rum coconut chai to drink, cajun tempeh sticks, the upstream burger, the dragon bowl with quinoa and green curry, and the chocolate torte for dessert. Everything was excellent. We didn't expect much in Calgary, but this is one of the best veg restaurants we've ever been to. Highly recommended.

Pros: great food, drink and dessert menu, friendly service
Cons: not located where i live

Dear Owner and Manager of The Coup: