The Coach and Horses

London's first vegetarian pub. Normal pub, with an upstairs tea room serving vegetarian food with vegan options available. Free wi-fi. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, International, English, Beer/Wine

First Review by LilacHippy
jollypig
jollypig

Veggie Pub!

5 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2014

Love the concept of a veggie pub! We went early evening before heading to the theatre. You get shown upstairs into a nice dining area where, because it was early, most people were having tea. I had a veggie burger & chips which was lovely. And a pint. There's plenty of choice on the menu if you want to go for something healthier.

The girls serving the food were friendly and efficient. The pub is in a great location in Soho and it's excellent value for the area. Highly recommended.

Pros: It's a pub!, Great value, Fab location
Miggi
Miggi

Secret Tearoom

3 Posted on 05 / 12 / 2014

Always great to visit a veggie pub and the Coach and Horses had several vegan options on their main menu but we fancied cake and had read other reviewers mention the Secret Tearoom so we tried it out.
You have to ask about the Tearoom and they let you in through the bar, so it's quite cool. Upstairs they have gone with the Vintage Tearoom theme, including the music, and it is lovely. The service was incredibly slow and disorganised, even though they weren't busy, so don't go if you are in a hurry.
If they had been able to offer a whole vegan cream tea we'd definitely have ordered it but the only vegan thing they had was one cake, so we had tea and cake - don't know why they don't provide a vegan option on the whole cream tea (as Terre a Terre has tried this year, for example) as that would be great and their downstairs restaurant was quite vegan-friendly.
The tea and cake were great, very rich chocolate and coconut cake and a good pot of tea (they have a massive range of teas).

Pros: vegan chocolate cake was v good, secret tearoom atmosphere
Cons: no whole vegan cream tea option, service was REALLY slow!
PatrickVeg
PatrickVeg

Wonderful Amazing Treat of a Meal

5 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2014

I think Norman's Coach & Horses on Greek Street is fantastic. The staff are great, the atmosphere is quaint, it's right in SOHO... and somehow they've been able to create a "fishun chips" experience that stays wonderfully in your memory long after you've paid the bill. EVERY time we're in London - we make it a must-do (along with Mildreds, Imli, Inamo, and Food for Thought - and in the good old days, SAF).

Sometimes it's hard for traveling (or local) #vegan people to really enjoy and experience unique cuisine ... Coach & Horses delivers!

Pros: Wonderful amazing #Vegan FISHUN CHIPS, Right in SOHO, Fun tea-room atmosphere
Cons: there's only one location!
xdanix
xdanix

Pub and tea room

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

It is a pub downstairs and a tea room upstairs. Tea room needs booking, something I understand considering the small space.
I always go for the tofush and chips and I can't understand how some people think it's a small portion. I always leave very satisfied. The burger and Sunday roasts are also great.
I recommend the cream tea upstairs, they have vegan scones and some vegan desserts, as the carrot cake and the chocolate mousse. And the environment, all inspired in the 40s, is really nice.
The downside is that not always they have many vegan desserts available, depending on the day and time, although the mousse is a fixed item on the menu.

Pros: Good vegetarian pub food, Cosy atmosphere in the tearoom, Good sized portions
Cons: Small tearoom so bookings needed
Fettot90
Fettot90

It's not a vegetarian pub!

2 Posted on 10 / 30 / 2013

I've been there three times now, once upstairs in the tea room and twice downstairs. It feels like the staff is on a trail shift every time you go there, even if it's the same staff member as the time you went there 3 months ago.

The menu has some vegan options, even some of the things who aren't marked as vegan is vegan... And as much as they try being a vegetarian pub, they just can't do it! They are serving Guinness, non-vegan/vegetarian ales, they even serve fish! I'm not sure if it's on the menu but I remember I saw some sandwiched in the tearoom containing fish.

The food takes decades to get, minimum I've been waiting was 30 minutes... When the place was completely empty! Ordered tofush and chips that time, which is basically a deep fried battered tofu with some nori. (30 min to prepare that..?!) oh, I tried to order drinks as well, and the server got it wrong 4 times.. Ordered 2 pints of coke without ice and a glass of tap water. Yay.

The food does taste amazing though! It's a bit expensive considering the size of the meals (very small portions!), but wouldn't mind paying it if the sizes where bigger... Last time I went for a mushroom pasta, left the place more hungry than before I got there.

Pros: Tasty food
Cons: Small portions, Not vegetarian, as advertised, Staff doesn't listen to the customers

AlbertTsui
AlbertTsui

They have MICE walking back and fore!

2 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2013

3 of us went there and so glad we found a decent and not overpriced Veggie restaurant in Soho until....

We saw 2 mice running back and fore in middle of dinning room and they were walking passed next to our shoes!!!! Plus those mice didn't seem to scare of humans.

We told the waitress and she said they are fully aware of this and they custom made their kitchen units to ensure the kitchen cupboards have no corner for the mice to go in???

I am not sure which world we are living in but I have not seen or heard in any countries that Mice can be part of the 'furniture' in a commercial restaurant serving food and drinks to customers??

Shame, the food was nice but I really cannot go to a restaurant which let mice walking by your foots while having dinner!!!!

All 3 of us will never go back!

Pros: reasonable priced, Fairly good food
Cons: MICE in the restaurant, Doubtful health and safety
Neridah
Neridah

Limited vegan options

3 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

The pub was loud and crowded, so we headed upstairs to eat at the restaurant. It was quiet upstairs, without the pub atmosphere. There were limited vegan options, but the menu and the drinks were clearly labelled. The tofish & chips were good.

Pros: Clearly marked menu, quiet, tasty
Cons: Limited vegan options
KatieBatty
KatieBatty

Only okay

3 Posted on 08 / 20 / 2013

The restaurant is a little odd - you can't just walk upstairs, the bar staff have to call ahead and ask, then you wait and get waved up.

I didn't get the fish and chips because I had read really bad reviews on here, so I decided just to get a starter and eat somewhere else later - the summer menu looked that lame. They didn't have the Sunday roast which is why we went there on a Sunday in the first place.

I got the beetroot ravioli which was TINY and very expensive, only about four little pieces of ravioli. My partner had the burger and chips which was very nice.

For dessert we had the chocolate mousse which had orange on the bottom. It was far too dark in cocoa.

The service was very slow and we had to keep asking for our little jug of water to be topped up.

Cons: Not many options
Epstein
Epstein

A real surprise

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

Expect the unexpected. You have to be a dedicated food lover receptive to unusual and creative ideas to appreciate this little gem. If you're that type of person you will be well rewarded.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 20, 2013
They also serve cream tea, so on the strength of the delicious meal we had a few days before,we returned one afternoon. It was however very disappointing. The scones were very small and the price was very high. Definitely not value for money or very satisfying.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent value for dinner, unusual ambiance
Cons: on top of a pub, very steep winding stairs
lauraXsynthesis
lauraXsynthesis

Terrific!

5 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2013

I was worried after seeing the mixed bag of reviews on here. Happily, my visit was great. I got the vegan Sunday roast which was butternut squash stuffed with quinoa, tofu and macadamia accompanied by vegetables, herbed yorkshire pudding and gravy. It was all excellent. A terrific place too - all the cake stands and mismatched crockery and framed Private Eye covers on the walls. I also got the apple tart with vegan ice cream. I hadn't expected to like apple tart but it was excellent with cinnamon and caramel syrup - very well made and gluten free as well. Will certainly return.

Pros: Excellent food, Great atmosphere, Plenty of vegan options
Cons: Usually seem to need reservation, Will be too pricey for some
ColletteFarnol
ColletteFarnol

Dissapointing Experience

2 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2013

I went here a couple of weeks ago after reading about it being the first pub that sells veggie/vegan pub grub. So naturally was expecting a British pub atmosphere with great food. As I entered the doors I coulden't help but feel dissapointed, the place was empty par a couple and the place as quiet as a mouse, no music as in other pubs. When I asked for a vegan soft drink, all I was told was coke or lemonade, I ahd to ask about fruit juices myself. Looking at the menu i perked up, the food sounded good, if not a little pricey. I ordered the 'Tofush & Chips'. Apparently the vegan burger (a popular choice) was not available even though the pub has only a small menu and all options should be available. When my 'Tofush' arrived I was again dissapointed, chips meant shop bought french fries and peas straight from the pack frozen peas. I was expecting home made chunky chips. The tartar sauce was homemade and did taste good and the tofush was moreish and tasty, It was quite a small portion for the price though and the atmosphere was dull. A thumbs down from me and my boyfriend!

Pros: Nice 'Tofush'
Cons: Dull Atmosphere, Lack Lustre Food
earthdave
earthdave

A decent start

3 Posted on 03 / 15 / 2013

Being in England, trying a pub made sense. I was very hopeful as it was advertised as 'veggie/vegan'.
First, the premises are classic enough but looking a bit scruffy. Then, we couldn't eat in the dining room upstairs as it had been totally booked by the staff of Private Eye.
Our food came and it was OK. They could do better with their 'tofush and chips' if they froze the tofu a bit first to give it a bit of texture. It's weird to bite through the batter and get a slimy block of lukewarm tofu!
The foreign server was friendly, until her English coworker spent ages telling her off for a mixup in ringing in people's orders, which justifiably made her seem miserable.

So, no great atmosphere, and the dishes were just OK despite us being happy that they were all veggie and some vegan.
Work on this concept a bit more and you might be huge!

Pros: all veggie English dishes, classic pub atmosphere, reasonable prices
Cons: not spectacular food, not very warm atmosphere
MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Not A Vegetarian Pub.

2 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2013

Came in from the cold for a drink and the staff were unable to say which wines were vege/vegan and I noticed they clearly served Guinness which is not either. Quite how this makes the place a vegetarian pub is beyond me.

Pros: Has Vegetarian Food.
Cons: Not A Vegetarian Pub.
Sunnytraveller
Sunnytraveller

Awesome pub, food & afternoon teas

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

Fabulous Vegetarian pub that caters for vegans. I have been a few times now and I am obsessed with the 'Tofush & Chips', its totally delicious.

Great service too. Very cute restaurant upstairs that you go through the bar to get to.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great value
martincalisto
martincalisto

Amazing a must go for vegetarians/vegans in London

5 Posted on 11 / 29 / 2012

The place is spectacular, great atmosphere, awesome staff, a top class menu for a very affordable price and excellent beer. Probably the best pub I have ever been to so far.

Pros: Succulent food, Great Beer, Cool Ambiance
Cons: A bit crowded downstairs
Jayneisastarr
Jayneisastarr

A lot of Potential

4 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2012

Good hearty pub menu. Busy dining room early on a Monday night so obviously word is getting around. Tofush and chips with peas were very good. Good to see something a bit different on a menu and make us veg*ns feel like we can eat normal pub food. The starter and dessert options have some way to go for vegans (crumble was not vegan; surely it would be quite easy to make it so?!) The vegans and vegetarian wines also were only available by the bottle which I can only logically assume will be rectified soon. Overall this is a great new addition to the London pub scene and if Coach and Horses makes a few improvements based on feedback in its early days this will make a fantastic regular.

Pros: Vegan fish & chips, Central location, Pub food!
Cons: Vegan offerings have a little way to go
LindaFern
LindaFern

total disappointment

2 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2012

I came with my family on a rainy, cold day. The pub was quite chilly, since we had a stroller we ate downstairs as the staircase to the dining room is very narrow and our baby was asleep. My older son, 7, was so excited to finally try "fish and chips" but sadly the tofish was a plain block of tofu dipped in batter and fried, the chips were nothing special. I ordered the mushroom burger which was a tasteless mushroom about the size of a flattened golf ball with a wan tomato and piece of lettuce on a bun. Is this the best we can do?

The pub itself is attractive, if eerily quiet. There was no music and people were talking very quietly.

Pros: friendly staff, attractive pub
Cons: pointless for vegans
dianaf
dianaf

The bartender didn't even know what vegan meant

2 Posted on 10 / 19 / 2012

We came in here with friends very excited to have the possibility of a pub with vegan options. I'm not very strict about beer etc but my fiance is and the bartender didn't even know what vegan meant let alone whether any of the beer or wine was vegan. We asked for a menu and when we were all set to order we found out they had virtually nothing on the menu available and none of the vegan options. The manager inquired with the cook who found out they could make us some kind of sandwich vegan but when we inquired about the bun we found out that it wasn't actually going to be vegan. Neither the decor or the patrons in the pub were anything special, in fact not even as nice as many pubs I've been to that serve meat. All in all a very disappointing experience.

Pros: It's a pub, nice location
Cons: nothing available on the menu, nobody knows what vegan means, ambiance, decor
Deano
Deano

Warm welcome at a very welcome veggie pub

3 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2012

The positives first.... It's great to finally have a veggie pub in London. The dining area (which is upstairs) was crowded but the waitresses were really friendly, attentive and helpful. The food was pretty good too. I went with two meat-eating friends and they both enjoyed the food and said they would be happy to go back (though one pal said his burger could have done with some extras such as coleslaw). The atmosphere was really friendly and the all-round experience was good.
The negatives.... There were NO vegan starters so I had to twiddle my thumbs while my mates tucked in. NONE of the main courses are automatically vegan, (which is daft) though a couple of them are marked on the menu as "vegan option". My "vegan option" main course arrived with what looked like dairy on it. Luckily, I checked and it was indeed dairy. The waitress was very apologetic and sorted it out pretty quickly and said I could have a side order for free as compensation.
I enjoyed eating here and the atmosphere was great but the lack of vegan options and the dairy blunder means I can only give three stars.

Pros: Atmosphere, Service, Atoned for mistake
Cons: No vegan starter, Dairy on my vegan main course
bencamps
bencamps

The Wests Ends Best Boozer Now Veggie!!!!

5 Posted on 08 / 28 / 2012

This pub has always been one of my favorites in Soho, there aren't many 'proper pubs' left and the Coach and Horses has always served a great selection of real cider. When browsing on Happy Cow a few weeks ago I almost shat myself when I discovered that it had become 'London's first vegetarian pub'! I've now been a couple of times and can confirm that the dining room upstairs is lovely, the food really good and the waiting staff friendly and helpful. The pub is just as good as it's always been and still has cockney sing-a-longs on Wednesdays and Saturdays. I could not recommend enough!!

Pros: The building, The Staff, The food & bar
Cons: Could be more vegan options on the menu
giorgiapix
giorgiapix

Love it!!

5 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2012

well..I must say that this is one on my favourite restaurants in London! When we went the food was amazing (we had 2 of the vegan options), the waitress was delightful and the decor was so retro and nice...it felt like going back in time...to a happy time :)!!
I hope they'll add a vegan cake to the Tea Rooms menu....... :)

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Lovely decor
Cons: No Vegan cakes :-(
LilacHippy
LilacHippy

Unpretentious Vege Pub

4 Posted on 07 / 19 / 2012

This pub does not show off it's vegetarian cuisine, it is a modest, normal looking after work boozer and at first, you will see an ordinairy looking menu with the usual pie of the day type fayre available, then you will realise it's not normal food when you spot the tofush and chips. Tofush? Yes. It was my first ever 'fish' and chips experience. Very good it was too. All of the food is vegetarian, and they have many vegan options. All of my friends (not all vegetarian) were very satisfied on our visit. The eating area, which is upstairs (be sure to ask) is a quiet and quaint countryside style tea room! Very contrasting with the downstairs busy drinking area. They also have cakes, coffee and lots of different types of teas, of course. I will be sure to go back!

Pros: Great food, Accommodating staff, Free wifi

Dear Owner and Manager of The Coach and Horses: