Artisan chocolatier with an attached cafe that also makes dairy-free vegan cakes, hot chocolate, and sorbet suitable for vegans. Soya milk, coffee, and loose leaf teas. Relaxed atmosphere with free wi-fi. more-less
123 Bruntsfield Place

craigmc
craigmc

Vegan cake

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2014

I was recently out with people and declined desert. A habit of a life time as I have grown to avoid as rarely can I have desert, I stated I don't like desert.

Not true I guess as my vegan chocolate raspberry tart here was fantastic. It was a choice of this or a vegan chocolate gateaux. Although not a massive selection still better than most places, and the tart was mighty fine! I have had there chocolate before and that is also very good.

There is a lack of seating and I imagine in the summer this is an issue, luckily there is a massive green area 100 yards away and on a nice day, sit on the grass and enjoy life and cake. A stronger coffee would be better, and I just wish more places would look at the coffee they offer.

Staff were lovely and would recommend coming here for cake if in Edinburgh.

Pros: vegan cake, staff
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

Divine chocolate everywhere

Posted on 11 / 05 / 2013

I'm not normally into chocolate but at the chocolate tree I've spent many a moments savouring every single bite of chocolate cake, and every single slurp of beautiful hot chocolate. Amazing feelings I have experienced whilst consuming - quite heavenly. Superb vegan options too - cakes, hot chocolate and sorbet. Highly recommended. When I have guests come visit me I convince myself that it is only proper to indulge them...and of course me. I have found all the staff their very friendly also.

Pros: Amazing chocolate, Amazing chocolate, Amazing chocolate
Cons: Amazing chocolate, Amazing chocolate, Amazing chocolate
Aida813
Aida813
  • raw

veg choko

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

accidentally saw it form outside, felt the vibe from other side of the street!

amazing staff, owner very informative and warm, best mayan hot choko, vegan hazelnut choko spread worth to die for.. made one almost raw at home, thanks!!!

Pros: vegan ice-cream, friendly and cosy, shop and cafe
Cons: gets busy, few seats

Stevie
Stevie

The Chocolate Tree, Edinburgh

Posted on 04 / 07 / 2013

Quite an interesting place. I am broadly in agreement with what other reviewers have said. They don't have the greatest number of seats. There's only 5 tables plus a bar so all ends up there's approx 25 seats max. There's various things dotted around publicising their ethical policy re recycling etc. The gelatine in the ice cream is made from apple.

If you like chocolate and cakes you'll be in heaven.

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Delicious vegan hot chocolate and cake!

Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

I've been here a few times and the vegan hot chocolate and cake options are amazing! I also love their vegan sorbet. The only problem is the lack of seating space for customers inside which often means it's very busy.

Pros: Great vegan options, Great decor, Fantastic hot chocolate and cake!
Cons: Small customer seating space, Often busy
OneNightStanzas
OneNightStanzas

CHOCOLATE HEAVEN

Posted on 07 / 28 / 2012

[Un?]fortunately, I live only a short walk from the Chocolate Tree and visit on an all-too-regular basis -- I absolutely LOVE and SALIVATE OVER this place.

The main event is the huge menu of hot chocolate drinks, almost all of which are either vegan or can be veganised. You can have a mild 55% cocoa content or a pungent 90% -- or anywhere in between, including varieties from all over the world (Ugandan, Mayan etc). Most of the hot chocolates come in a big chunky mug -- you get loads for your money! For those of you not so into chocolate (although, why are you here if so?!), there are very good coffees and a huge range of teas, too.

There is also an amazing range of eye-wateringly beautiful cakes and tarts. Very few are vegan but many are either dairy-free or egg-free, and some are gluten free too. There is a vegan variety and when it's available (it always has been whenever I've asked for it) IT IS UTTERLY AMAZING. Very, very rich though-- my advice would be DON'T attempt to drink a hot chocolate AND eat a piece of cake in one sitting! Fortunately, the staff will happily box up any cake you can't eat so you can take it away. You can order a whole cake for a birthday or other occasion if you give them three days' notice or so. The sorbets, which are all vegan, are also delicious and there is usually a big range to choose or mix and match from. I particularly recommend the cherry!

The Chocolate Tree also does a great line in delicious takeaway bits and pieces including delicious chocolate bars, about 50% of which are vegan (try the sea salt and caramel!). They also do an a m a z i n g vegan hazelnut/chocolate spread (essentially posh Nutella), which is quite pricey but totally worth it, and you can buy your own cocoa powder so you can make your own hot chocolate at home. Om nom nom!

The service is generally great, too -- though sometimes the place is super busy (it's a small space), and the staff understandably get a bit rushed. It's worth going in the morning when it's a bit quieter so you can get a seat :)

Pros: Huge mugs of hot chocolate, OMG vegan cake, Lovely chocolate bars etc!
Cons: Can get busy - go early!
Aine
Aine

Chocolate cake!

Posted on 08 / 19 / 2011

I've been here a few times. I usually have black coffee and vegan chocolate cake. The coffee is good, the cake is excellent. Very rich. It's like a really thick mousse on a lovely chocolatey base. They do two varieties, hazelnut or berries. Sometimes, alas, they have neither. Instead, I have had a vegan hot chocolate which is really lovely. If you love chocolate, it's great. If you want savoury food, then don't bother! You can also buy their chocolate bars but most of their individual chocolates aren't vegan. They've started doing sorbets and ice creams, some of which are vegan.

Pros: Chocolate cake, Hot chocolate., Friendly staff.
Cons: Sometimes no cake., Can be busy.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Chocolate Tree: