The Chicago Diner - Logan...

Opened fall-2012, this is the second location of the long-time operating, popular vegetarian restaurant in Chicago. Serves American comfort food. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, American, Bakery, Catering, Take-out
2333 N Milwaukee Ave (Logan Square)
Chicago, Illinois 60647
773-252-3211

Mon-Thu 10:00am-10:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm

First Review by SynthVegan
vegva4eva
vegva4eva

Great

4 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2014

We ate here twice during a recent trip to Chicago. Previously, my husband had been to the Halsted location. We loved the food here. The first time (a Thursday) the service was much better than on the weekend, when we needed to send out a search party and bloodhounds to track down our slacker (waiter).

I had a vegan Reuben on the first visit. It was awesome. My husband had the bahn mi, which was a special for the day. I found them both a bit salty, but otherwise quite delicious, hearty and filling. I got the peanut butter cup dessert (awesome).

I can't recall what we got on the second visit, because the service was so bad. Really, the second dinner was a blur, until the dessert (another peanut butter cup).

Pros: great food
Cons: inconsistent service
Daveggie
Daveggie

Absolutely Incredible

5 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2014

After seeing all the great reviews we had to try it out while in Chicago. We were not disappointed. The service and food was amazing. So many choices. All vegan menu with optional eggs and dairy cheese upon request. I had the best veggie burger of my life. In 13 years of being veg I have never had a better burger than the Titanic BLT with seitan bacon and avocado. Yum yum. We also had the seitan buffalo wings which were also delicious. If in Chicago you must make the trek here.

Pros: vegan, delicious, service
MarisaClark
MarisaClark

awesome!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2014

Chicago Diner is one of my favorites. Tried this location and it did not disappoint! Started with a side salad with ranch dressing. Had the portabella truffle melt with a side of Mac and teese. All were super yummy. Wish I could have tried the avacdo tostadas-maybe next time. Wrapped up with a chocolate shake!!! I have dreams about this milkshake. Highly recommend!!!

Pros: vegan milkshakes!!! need I say more!!!

Poliesquee
Poliesquee

eat here!

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2014

Everything on the menu here is amazing. Completely vegan except for dairy cheese and eggs if requested. I love this location way more than the original on Halsted. This one is pretty low key and much bigger so you're not sitting on top of each other. Also has a full bar and a rotating craft beer draft selection. I've never had anything here I dislike.

christineelena
christineelena

Awesome place! Highly recommended.

5 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2014

The Chicago Diner is the polar opposite of a typical diner. Awesome ambience and decor hidden by a plain storefront, delicious food, and, if the crowd was any indication, the place to be.

We arrived a little before 1pm, and the place was packed. There was an approximately 10 minute wait for a table, so we sat at the bar to check out the menu and order a drink. My cousin and I split a large Cookie Dough Peanut Butter vegan shake. I could have and would have drank an entire shake by myself. It was to die for. The shake itself tasted like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup cereal, and it was topped with whipped cream, a couple of chocolate chips, and bits of peanut. Already this restaurant was on my good side.

They brought us the menus, which are entirely meat free, and mostly vegan, with the exception of rBST-free cheese from grain-fed cows, and hormone/antibiotic free eggs from grain-fed and cage-free chickens. If you ask to see a gluten free menu, it tells you what items are corn free and soy free as well. I ended up ordering the Mexicana plate with eggs and Daiya cheese. This dish comes with scrambled eggs or tofu topped with dairy or non-dairy cheese, black beans, Mexican-style rice, guacamole, and salsa. You can also add corn tortillas for an extra charge. When it came out it didn’t look like a lot of food, but I wasn’t able to finish the whole thing. That could have been due to the half a milkshake I devoured beforehand OR perhaps it was the fact that my first meal of the day was being eaten at 1 in the afternoon. Either way, I had no issues whatsoever with the portion size. And it was delicious! Everything was spiced perfectly, and it all went together very well.

The diner has an overwhelmingly young and attractive staff. They play great music (I heard The Beatles, Neil Diamond, and The Temptations), although it was hard to hear the music over the noise of people talking. The plain, if a little beat down storefront is completely misleading, as when you go inside you are met with brick walls, awesome art displays, and the type of decor you might expect in uptown New York (or maybe Chicago, but then, I wouldn’t know that). The food is on the pricy side, but for me, it was worth the splurge. And that is coming from someone on a pretty tight budget for this next year. Overall, I paid about $16 for my meal with the shake cost split down the middle.

Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

Best place in town!

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

If you've only got time to go to one vegan place in Chicago, this is the one not to miss. Not sure we can admit how many times we went in the month we were in town!

Amazing brunches, delicious sandwiches, they specialise in comfort food done really, really well. Everything is available vegan

Really friendly staff, excellent range of beers, superb coffee, delicious (but huge) cakes & icecream- if we had any criticism it was that we ate too much every time we went!

Updated from previous review on Sunday December 01, 2013

Pros: amazing food, brunch!, very friendly
Cons: huge portions!
sglcklch
sglcklch

Just as good

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

After my partner's and my amazing experience at their original location the weekend before (where we had the philly cheesesteak and the breakfast bowl), I just couldn't help but keep thinking how much I'd miss out if I left without trying their award-winning vegan Reuben sandwich. So on my last day in town, I headed out to this newer location on a mission... to get the Reuben, and it was epic! So glad I did it. Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of their sandwiches. I just wished I weren't alone so I could've tried more.

As for the difference between the two locations-not much besides the décor. This one is simply newer and has a bar; the original one is more throwback and has a covered patio in the back. Menus were the same.

earthville
earthville

Great as the original, and more eco-friendly!

5 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

Whenever we pass through Chicago, the Chicago Diner has always been our first destination.

The food is great, but for us the big attractions are the vegan shakes (peanut butter cookie dough is divine) and desserts.

Everything on the menu either is vegan or has a vegan option, which we really appreciate.

Servers are very friendly, helpful, and attentive, making the whole experience even nicer. :-)

We applaud them for making such efforts to be eco-friendly at the new location, including extensive use of reclaimed wood. Bravo!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 21, 2013

Pros: Mostly vegan, Great vegan desserts and shakes, Very eco-friendly :-)
Cons: It's easy (and tempting) to spend a lot!
Sjstevens23
Sjstevens23

CAN'T STOP EATING THE NACHOS

5 Posted on 04 / 24 / 2013

I'm not joking. I wake up thinking about them (seitan on the side for me). They also have GF vegan options, which are delicious.

Pros: NACHOS
mollypitcher
mollypitcher

Great Addition to Logan Square

5 Posted on 12 / 27 / 2012

I've been making the trek over to the original Chicago Diner for years and I have to say it has been inconsistent over the years. However recently they seemed to have returned to their roots and the quality has improved and I am happy to say this appears to be the case at their new location. Our meals were delicious and things seemed to be working smoothly after only opening a little over a month ago. I am looking forward to dropping by in the summer for their awesome shakes!

Pros: Friendly staff, Good food, Super desserts
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Chicago Diner

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2012

I was very fortunate to have had the opportunity to eat at the new Chicago Diner location last night - it was amazing, as expected!

I was expecting this location to be reminiscent of the Boys Town location, but the decor resembled the surrounding restaurants in the area - which is a good and welcomed difference in my opinion. Mind you, the original location is 29 years old, this one is simply newer - I love them both.

Service was great for their first night, I especially give kudos to Brian who has always been a friendly and attentive server, he's been my server many times at the original location and has always been great.

Now to the important part, the food! The food was quite amazing, just as I expect from Chicago Diner. I had the nachos and BBQ Burger with vegan mac and cheese. Everything was quite amazing and my favorite was the BBQ Burger by far, it was quite tasty. I have been eating at Chicago diner for over 12 years now and will say that all of their food is amazing, so you can't order anything bad here! I highly recommend this location!!!

Dear Owner and Manager of The Chicago Diner - Logan Square: