The Cherokee Rose Inn

Vegan bed & breakfast in a century-old Craftsman home. Two guest rooms. Convenient to public transit, shopping, dining, green space. Free pickup/dropoff at airport, train and bus stations for travelers without cars. Full vegan breakfast daily. more-less

First Review by vegancupcakesd
Posi Britt
Posi Britt

Perfect

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

This place was phenomenal.
Sandy was super nice and a great cook! Our room was cute, quiet, and spacious. I looked forward to breakfast each morning which is rare for me, as I don't generally eat breakfast. One morning she made us these vegan chickpea omelettes with mushrooms and asparagus. I have been haunted by their tastiness ever since! The house was located in an adorable little neighbourhood and close to pretty much everything (by car) that we wanted to do! We met some other nice vegans from New Zealand and the property was kid friendly. My 8 year old son had fun playing with some of the toys in the common room and every day there was some sort of sweet treat waiting to be devoured in the candy dish.
I would definitely recommend this place. I have never stayed in a B&B before and was worried it wouldn't be very private or that it would seem too busy but it was neither. Quiet, quaint, private, and rounded out perfectly with delicious breakfast each morning! We'll be back!

Pros: Centrally located, Great food, Kid friendly
Santerra
Santerra

Great stay with Sandy at The Cherokee Rose Inn

5 Posted on 04 / 06 / 2014

Such a great place to stay! I've never stayed at a B&B before and wasn't originally planning to for my trip, but this little gem popped up on HappyCow and my boyfriend and I decided to try something new and let me tell you...It did not disappoint. The location is just on the other side of the river from downtown and conveniently located within walking distance to many restaurants, bars and boutiques. For the vegans out there, it is minutes away from the vegan strip mall and a great vegan bar called The Sweet Hereafter. Sandy is beyond sweet and she goes above and beyond to make sure your stay is comfortable and unobtrusive (although, ironically, I wished that she would be more intrusive because I love talking to people and hearing their stories. But that's just my personality). The room and the bathroom were huge and we were met with complimentary vegan truffles. The bed was so comfortable and in the morning Sandy had a delicious, vegan, southwest breakfast ready for us (I ate 3 biscuits and would've eaten more if others hadn't wanted the rest). And lastly...her lovely pets. She has the sweetest little dog that looks like the dog from the Caesar food commercials and the absolute sweetest cat named Bill who knows tricks.

I highly recommend Sandy and a stay at her B&B. Not only will I be staying there for all trips to Portland, but the stay has also convinced me to explore other B&B's on other vacations. This place is great for vegans because of the guaranteed vegan breakfast, but even if you're not vegan, it's great because the food is amazing and the stay is relaxing.

Pros: Vegan, Location, Sandy
lebfam
lebfam

Yes, it is true!

5 Posted on 08 / 06 / 2012

We just came back from our two-night stay at The Cherokee Rose. I agree with the first reviewer. The house is homey, non-pretentious place that comes with a great dog! Sandy is a wonderful, gracious host who went out of her way to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

Sandy worked with our many food issues (I am celiac and my husband is allergic to everything in the nightshade family), and she prepared us a delicious, healthy and satisfying meal. Our two kids made themselves at home right away.

Around the corner is the fantastic new vegan restaurant, Caravan, from the people who own the food truck Sip. We also hung out a little at Black and Red, which is near the vegan strip mall. Portland is such an intense vegan paradise that we didn't even make it to the vegan grocery store or Herbivore!

Sandy is a lovely, fun, committed vegan and The Cherokee Rose reflects her personality. We wish her much success with the B&B!

Pros: Wonderful Host, Vegan-centric location, Reasonable Price
Cons: Shared Bathroom
  • Meowmeow Meowmeow

The restaurant around the corner on Stark is called Canteen, not Caravan. There's also the Sweet Hereafter, a vegan bar with a really good menu on Belmont.

vegancupcakesd
vegancupcakesd

A Wonderful Place!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2012

We just returned to San Diego from a 4 night stay at the Cherokee Rose Inn. We had a fantastic time in a great neighborhood. Sandy is a kind and compassionate hostess that made a delicious vegan breakfast for us each morning. Hammish the dog was a funny guy and it was a pleasant surprise to have a dog away from our dogs there.

The Inn is about a mile from the "vegan strip mall" where you can visit a bakery, clothing store, grocery store, & tattoo parlor. It is less than 1/2 mile from Sweet Hereafter, a vegan bar, and the Paradox Cafe, a great diner with tons of vegan options.

Don't hesitate to make your reservation! You won't regret the decision to stay with Sandy at The Cherokee Rose Inn.

Pros: Location, Vegan Breakfast, Spacious room

Dear Owner and Manager of The Cherokee Rose Inn: