The Cheese Factory Restaurant

A popular stop for families craving healthier food and a respite from chain restaurants, this vegan restaurant provides lunch and dinner served in a warm, well-lit, converted old cheese factory building surrounded by lush summer gardens. Re-opened Dec 2013 with an exclusively vegan and non-gmo menu with made-from-scratch meals, a kids menu, vegan bakery desserts, and cappuccino served at an old-fashioned soda fountain. Location is one mile off I90/94, exit 92N or 89N, down the street from the Tanger Mall, Great Wolfe Lodge, Mt. Olympus, and the Wilderness Resort. Please check its webpage for latest open hours. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, International, Catering

First Review by sim_conners
tauberl
tauberl

Creative menu, excellent dessert!

4 Posted on 08 / 17 / 2014

Like others have said, I was thrilled to find an all vegan restaurant in the middle of the WI dells! We stopped here for lunch as we were passing through the area and I'm so glad we did- the menu was huge and had a ton of different interesting looking options (from all day brunch to spaghetti & "meat"balls to "fish" and chips), and the DESSERT. You know those rotating dessert cases they have in all diner-y type restaurants? They had that here, and the desserts were ALL VEGAN. I was so overwhelmed with choices, it was amazing! We ended up going with the caramel crunch cake, which was delicious, but I was also super tempted by the carrot cake and the chocolate chip cheesecake, so we will have to go back :-). We also had the chickpea chili with grilled flatbread, which was awesome with curry-like spices, pumpkin soup which was the soup of the day, a "tuna" salad sandwich, and the southwestern plate- all were good, but the chickpea chili I would definitely order again! My husband also got an iced almond milk chai latte to go, which was also great. My only suggestion to them would be that it would be great if they had either a separate lunch menu or lunch options, eg soup and half sandwich- they do have a "small plate" section but the entrees were huge! Stop here if you're in the area, you'll be glad you did!

Pros: Creative menu, cute place & friendly staff, HUGE dessert selection!
Cons: Lunch portion option would be great
EJAEarth
EJAEarth

DELICIOUS EVERYTHING

5 Posted on 08 / 10 / 2014

I went with my mom, 10 month old daughter, 4 year old son and my mom! We all loved EVERYTHING we had! I ordered the Chimichanga - a dish totally unique to this restaurant. It was equally sweet and savory, and even though it was a whopping $14, I was so glad I ordered it because it was delicious - and I was able to feed my 10 month old the insides which were cooked soft enough for her gumming and wasn't too overly seasoned for her sensitive pallet and age.

My son ordered the chocolate chip cheesecake - if you like cheesecake... PERFECT! (Though it wasn't quite as good leftover the next morning I must say.) And for the first time in I don't know how long he at ALL of his veggie nuggets, and they were tender and flavorful too!

My mom ordered the "fishc and chips", the portion size wasn't much (there were more fries than the 2 small pieces of "fish")', but she actually thought she had eaten REAL FISH! It wasn't until we were ordering dessert that she said "well I had fish" and I was like "no mom, it's ALL vegan!" She was like, "oh, I guess it really WAS good then!"

So yes, highly recommended! I would NEVER go to the Dells without a repeat visit... NEVER! The music, atmosphere, kindness and thoroughness of the waiters as well was all superb! Has the wonderful atmosphere of a multi-cultural old-school diner. Ever in the Dells, this place is a MUST... JUST LOVELY!

Pros: Unique one-of-a-kind dishes, Scrumptious food and dessert, Wonderful music
Cons: $8 dishes are small servings, Larger portion dishes are a bit pricey
Rambling Vegans
Rambling Vegans

A Great Vegan & Non-GMO Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2014

We were very happy to find out that they revamped their menu to be 100% vegan and non-GMO. The food came out fast, they were very friendly and it was all delicious. Their desserts are SO fantastic- we shared a mandarin key lime ice cream soda and slice of caramel crunch cake. Prices are a bit on the higher side but you get a lot of food. The tropical chimichanga is enough for two people to share.

Pros: non-gmo, fast service, friendly Staff
earthmother30
earthmother30

So happy to have found The Cheese Factory!

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2013

I couldn't convince my family to stop here for lunch, but I did order takeout. All of my family members sampled the food and agreed that we should have went here! I ordered the Malaysian Coconut Noodles and the vegan chocolate cupcake. YUM!

20jlr
20jlr

Food is so good homemade taste

5 Posted on 03 / 17 / 2013

The food was wonderful.Black bean burrito,and three mushroom stroganoff was truly delightful. The service is very good and very prompt, just a little weird..... as in stoic or robotic but friendly. Will definitely go again.

Pros: great food, ok prices, prompt service
Cons: "freeky" service

Caroline12345
Caroline12345

My favorite restaurant

5 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2012

This is my favorite restaurant. The food here is all homemade and delicious. I have not yet had a bad meal. The food is fresh and you can tell it was just made. The desserts have sugar in them which is disappointing because I heard they are great. The workers there are some of the frienliest people you will meet. They have a whole menu just for vegans so there is no trouble in finding something to eat.

Pros: great food, great service, good location
Tish
Tish

You won't be disappointed

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2010

We live in Northwest Indiana and often travel to Eau Claire, WI. We plan our trip based on when The Cheese Factory is open so we don't miss dining there. The restaurant used to be a cheese factory, hence the name, but the entire menu is vegetarian/vegan. The ambiance is superb.
This restaurant is fantastic. The food isn't your every day run of the mill vegetarian fare. You can taste the care and creativity that goes into the menu.
The wait staff is always friendly and it's worth it to make the trip in the summer just to see the gardens.
If you are vegetarian/vegan, don't miss this restaurant. This is a favorite of all of my non-vegetarian family members as well. It's that good. This is one of my top two favorite vegetarian restaurants in the United States. I have never been disappointed with my meal.

Pros: excellent food, good variety, friendly staff
lexic
lexic

Excellent food

5 Posted on 04 / 08 / 2010

I enjoyed everything about my visit to this restaurant. The food was excellent and the service was friendly. What more do you want?

It is a casual environment and the prices are reasonable. There are choices for many different types of cuisine and a separate vegan menu is available.

Pros: delicious food, friendly, reasonable prices
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Surprise!! Middle-of-Nowhere WI Vegan Goodness!!!

5 Posted on 05 / 26 / 2009

WOW! I couldn't believe there was a fully Vegetarian restaurant in the middle of nowhere in Wisconsin - they even have a huge separate Vegan menu! Had this place not been suggested to me by a fellow Vegan I may have not stopped here on my way home - the name Cheese Factory, as a Vegan, sounded opposite of my diet; wow was I wrong!!!

My counterpart and I stopped here for lunch yesterday and found this to be a neat little restaurant, cozy, decorated well with Wisconsin feel, and had very friendly employees. Someone mentioned cult/religious stuff...nothing was in your face or anything, there may have been a book or two by the cookbook display at the register, but who really cares - I'd sell whatever I want at a restaurant I owned.

Too bad I wasn't starving because I just got the Romesco Potatoes (holy goodness!!!) and my counterpart got The Big Cheese (sadly he's not fully Vegan) - you should have seen the look on his face when eating this, we may have to go out of our way to eat here again!

This place is definitely a find and I recommend anyone passing through to stop here; it's conveniently located just off of the interstate!

kim_denver
kim_denver

Quite a find!

5 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2008

I didn't expect to find any vegan food in the Wisconsin Dells and figured I would starve there. But this place had a large vegan menu! It was great food too. The staff was nice and the food was fabulous. The atmosphere was fun too. I highly recommend this place.

Pros: Large vegan menu, tasty food, friendly staff
Cons: none
Guest
Guest

Cult food is delicious, apparently

5 Posted on 10 / 26 / 2008

This place has great vegetarian food but I have a hard time bringing my fiancé here because he's creeped out by the fact that it's run by a cult. The waitstaff always has a weird stoic demeanor and they have pamphlets and DVDs advertising their cult at the registers.

Pros: Vegetarian, Good food, Eclectic
Cons: Cult-run, A little creepy, Odd atmosphere
sim_conners
sim_conners

Taste the love

5 Posted on 08 / 14 / 2008

My wife and I ate here just about every day on our honeymoon. The food is so well prepared. You can taste the care and attention they put into every dish. And very creative and delicious combinations and creations. Their thai bananas appetizer was scrumptious. If you're in the Dells, don't miss it!

Pros: Delicious, Caring and courteous staff, Generous portions
Cons: Can't think of any. Seriously.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Cheese Factory Restaurant: