Small vegetarian cafe with vegan options. Price: Moderate more-less

Yolanda
Yolanda

Disappointing for vegans

2 Posted on 08 / 30 / 2014

I popped in to this cafe to see what they could do for us as vegans as we were planing to dine there the next day. The counter person didn't know so she got someone else (the owner I think) to help. He was nice but told us all there was available was a tomato lentil soup and a raw pie/cheesecake kind of thing. The raw pie looked ok but tomato lentil soup doesn't do it for me (we eat it all the time at home so it is not something I want to eat when I am dining out) and anyway, soup and cheesecake is not dinner in my book.

It is nice to see a vegetarian cafe in such a small town but as always, it so disappointing that it is the kind of vegetarian food where everything must be covered in as much cheese and egg as possible and no account is taken of modern veggie cuisine which is really so much more plant based these days. It reminded me of vegetarian cafes in the 80's.

Pros: central location
Cons: disappointing for vegans
hasbal
hasbal

vegetarians only

2 Posted on 01 / 29 / 2014

This cafe was disappointing on 2 fronts. The lack of any vegan options and the particularly rude service from one staff member and the owners.

It is a lovely little cafe with a particularly pretty outdoor court area. The problem was patrons smoking and it did invade the indoor seating as well. This was really annoying and disappointing that management allowed it.

We found the young chap who eventually served us as friendly and professional and made particularly good soy flat whites.

The young French(?) waitress was rude and completely disinterested in providing any possible options or accommodations. She also ignored us when we first came in.

In nuce, great coffee and setting, patchy staff manners and smoking policy. If you want a vegan meal, I suggest you try somewhere else.

Pros: setting , coffee
Cons: lack of vegan options, smoking policy, staff manners/service
Vegangelist
Vegangelist

OK for vegetarians, not great for vegans.

2 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2014

I would expect any vegetarian eating place to have a reasonable number of vegan options. The Chai Tea House had some lovely looking wraps, etc in their cabinet, so we had high hopes, even though nothing was marked as vegan, there or on their menu. When we inquired about vegan options, we received blank looks from the man on the counter. He discussed the situation with his colleague, and we were offered "rice pudding and a salad".
If you're a rice pudding afficionado, this is the place for you, however we wanted something more substantial so we hot-footed it down the road to the Driving Creek Cafe, which was WONDERFUL, and I suggest, if you want a vegan meal, you do the same.

Pros: Nice location, Bustling
Cons: Not good for vegans.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Chai Tea House: