Serves meat, veg options available. Key West restaurant offering mostly vegetarian and vegan food, except for fishmeat. Has veggieburgers, vegan chicken, faux sausage, tofu parmigianan with pasta, tofu benni, spring rolls, seitan, fresh juices, organic wine. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
509 Southard St (Duval)
Key West, Florida 33040
305-296-5515

Open 11am-10pm, Sunday brunch 9-3.

First Review by Stevie

amazing

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2014

Great food, lots of it, portion-wise. I couldn't finish and I was hungry. Very tasty options and a wide range. Juices are great and refreshing. Wine and beer. Decor was chill and it seemed like a nice crowd. Owner is Aussie (I think?) and very nice. Super cool place.

In the midst of all the tourism, a gem!

3 Posted on 07 / 26 / 2014

My girlfriend and I were in a rush and called to order for pick up. Even though the veggie burger and kale salad were 20 minutes old in our hotel room, the meal was fantastic. The curry-lime and orange mango vinaigrette dressing were superb. And the watermelon-cucumber-lime juice and lemonade mint drinks were some of the best drinks we've had on the trip!

We went back the next day and had brunch. The only disappointment were the portion sizes. Too big! Perhaps they can charge less and serve less. My girlfriend ordered the Eggs Benedict, and there were way too many potatoes and the Eggs Benedict portion (the bread) could have been smaller. I get that you want to please the customer, but a veggie friendly place should serve moderate plate sizes and not encourage overeating (and wasting of food). But perhaps since most of the clientele are American tourist, the portions are needed to keep its main customers happy.

Otherwise, The Cafe is a fine restaurant establishment. If I'm ever to return to Key West, I'll be sure to eat there once a day. And drink a pint or two of their mircro-brews when it's not too humid.

Pros: Watermelon-cucumber-lime juice!, The beer on tap!
Cons: Portions are too big!, Tough to find parking.

Vegan Key Lime Pie :)

4 Posted on 07 / 09 / 2014

This is a very cute relaxed restaurant. The food is good with HUGE portions. None of our food was to die for, but still it was very good. The Key Lime Pie was incredible though and it's worth a trip to this place just for that. I honestly could not tell it was vegan. Just make sure to tell the waitress if you're vegan b/c some of the sauces served with the vegan dishes contain dairy.

Pros: vegan desserts

Chips or fries.... ?

4 Posted on 05 / 04 / 2014

Key West is perhaps a little stereotyped for it's culinary reputation, consisting mostly on citrus based desserts. Our recent visit to the area did little to change this view except when we visited 'The Café', Southards excellent vegan friendly eatery.
A minor oasis in a desert of 'me too' menus, the choice in 'The Café' was a refreshing change, offering some excellent vegan dishes including a fabulous vegan burger, complete with homemade sweet potato chips; or as the locals call them, fries. So tasty it litteraly brought a tear to our eyes......
For those who have eaten out too often and have nothing more to say to each other ;-) there are some interesting works of art aournd, created by local artists. A rare treat indeed!
Everything considered, a 'five cow' recommendation, although it is not 100% vegan.

Pros: Vegan desserts, Stupendous value, An artists delight
Cons: Not 100% vegan, Would benefit from more fresh air

Satisfying brunch

4 Posted on 02 / 24 / 2014

My partner and I came here on a Sunday afternoon when they were serving the brunch menu only, which was okay since there were still quite a few vegan options to choose from. We settled on the tofu benedict and the vegan "chicken" curry salad sandwich. They were both pretty good, but the latter definitely stood out in terms of flavor and portion size. The bean salad side dish was also very tasty. The best part, though, was the housemade vegan cakes they had - minty chocolate, red velvet, carrot, coconut, etc. YES, ALL VEGAN, and sans artificial coloring to boot. They also boasted to offer the only vegan key lime pie in town. After having caught sight of the chocolate cake for another table, we just had to get one, and boy was it delicious! It came in a hearty serving as well that was perfect for sharing.

We thoroughly enjoyed our brunch. The prices were on the high side (even the simple-looking salads were all $10+), but the food quality and the vegan-friendliness made up for it.

Pros: good food, all vegan cakes
Cons: slightly pricey for what you get

Fantastic food and service!

4 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2014

I was so happy I made it here on my visit to Key West! The food was bursting with flavor! The staff made suggestions for portable food that would be good to take out on a boat. I will definitely be going back again before my week here is up!

Best Cafe in all of Florida!!!

4 Posted on 02 / 13 / 2014

SO HAPPY to have found this! The only problem was deciding what to order. Everything looked so fantastic and everything we ordered was too. SO many choices, including beer, wine and a few organic selections too. Would recommend this to anyone. By far the best food I have eaten anywhere in Florida or just about anywhere.

great place

4 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

My husband and I were in Key West for the Half Marathon this past January and with both of us being vegan we found this place. The food there was amazing, very flavorful and the portions were perfect. The desert was to die for! You can't get vegan key lime pie any other place on the island and it was amazing! The service at night was excellent while the service in the earlier afternoon was ok. The waitress was a bit unattentive and forgot to put a addition on my sandwich. Other than that, I would recommend this place. The atmosphere was comfortable and welcoming. We were in Key West for 4 days and we ate there everyday.

Pros: excellent food, many choices, friendly
Cons: long wait for dinner service

Kaleriffic

4 Posted on 01 / 15 / 2014

I'm a bit of a vegan cesar salad nerd and their kale cesar was outstanding! Wish there wasn't meat on the menu. Cute space just off the main drag.

Pros: Open later than other veg places.

fantastic!

4 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2013

The iced soy chai is an absolute must! The veggie sausage pizza is the best I've ever had. You can get it vegan. They hv daiya cheese.

Went here twice on out trip & would have eaten here every day if we had the chance.

Street parking out front. Pay at box, put ticket in window. Be careful not to hit the chickens & roosters in the road out front.

Excellent!

3 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2013

Offers a huge variety of Excellent vegan food! In a word incredible!

Pros: Variety, Delicious, Friendly
Cons: Only One Location

Delicious!!!!!

4 Posted on 11 / 09 / 2013

We are there twice on vacation this week. DELICIOUS! First time got the veggie sandwich and falafel sandwich. Second time got the curried "chicken" (vegan) salad and falafel sandwich again with the cold peanut noodles as an appetizer (my husband and I share). The falafel is AMAZING and the curried chicken salad to die for great. Veggie sandwich ok, nothing to write home about. The cold peanut noodles were also great. Quaint, eclectic atmosphere, the staff are super friendly.
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 09, 2013

Pros: Vegan options/relaxed atmosphere, Falafel and curried chicken salad, Downtown Key West
Cons: Wee bit pricey

awesome food

3 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2013

This place is great. Really friendly staff, cool atmosphere and the vegan food is amazing freshest creative veggie based options I've seen in awhile. They even have several dessert options that blew us away

Pros: vegan, atmosphere , staff

Yummy!

4 Posted on 02 / 12 / 2013

So refreshing to find a restaurant in Key West that has more than fish! I'm vegan, my husband is not and we both loved this restaurant. They had a LOT of vegan & seafood choices - it was just perfect. Artsy, cute, friendly & I hope to go there again soon!

Pros: Nice Vibe, Friendly, Large Portions
Cons: A bit small, A bit pricey for the vegan food

Good enough to eat there twice

4 Posted on 02 / 09 / 2013

This is a very busy restaurant and it appears to be more locals than tourists. They also seem to do lots of takeout. The meal we enjoyed most was the Falafel with fries and a beer. We were there on the weekend which apparently is busy time. The staff are friendly and the place has a nice sense of energy.

Pros: Lots of vegan choice, Good comfort food, Friendly atmosphere

Truly Amazing

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

We ate here twice during our three day stay in Key West. The first night we ordered the seitan pepper steak sandwich and replaced the cheese with Daiya to make it vegan. It was so good that we got the same thing the second time around! We also tried the un-wing dings which were also very tasty. We ordered the vegan chocolate raspberry cake to share and had to bring some home because it was a huge slice. We're already planning another trip to Key West so we can visit The Cafe again! The service was good and the waitress even remembered us on our second visit.

Must try

4 Posted on 04 / 10 / 2012

One of the best place I have ever eaten! So many choices. Generally our veg food comes from a hole in a wall. This is a charming place with character and friendly service and awesome food. I wanted to try their whole menu. But we had Stuffed baked eggplant(unique & delicious), Stir fry (amazing), gyoza dumpling(yum),Stuffed peppers and more.All great! Definitely recommend it.

awesome variety

4 Posted on 03 / 16 / 2012

The veggie burger (made in house), served with a chickpea salad, was super tasty and filling. The only non-vegetarian items are seafood & dairy, my boyfriend enjoyed a Mahi sandwich. This place is a MUST for vegetarian/vegan's visiting the Keys! Draft & bottled beer available.

Pros: vegan options, beer options
Cons: small tables

Delicious food!

4 Posted on 03 / 14 / 2011

I recently stayed in Key West and this was the first restaurant we ate at. We ate here 3 more times during our stay, and weren't disappointed a single time. I had their falafel, curry stir-fry (which was so huge I saved it and had it for my next two lunches), and veggie burger (twice). Everything was delicious. The waitstaff were all very pleasant and accommodating. My only complaint is that I had their vegan cheesecake for dessert one night, and it was delicious. However, when we came back another night the waitress mentioned that it was not, in fact, vegan. I didn't get too upset about it (what's done is done), but that's kind of a simple thing that a restaurant like this should be able to get straight. Besides that though, I highly recommend The Cafe.

Bad Management, Rude Staff - Avoid if there are on

1 Posted on 02 / 06 / 2011

If there are only 2 of you then be prepared to be treated like 2nd class citizens. You will be ordered to only sit at a table for 2 (which are uncomfortably small) and if you dare challenge this order you will have the maitre d' in your face telling you to move. And then the waitress will also tell you to move. Unbelievably rude staff. We were treated in this way when we arrived at 8:30 pm and were told we would be moved if a large party came in. There were plenty of other tables available and the restaurant was set to close at 10:00 pm. Come on, was this kind of treatment really necessary? After 10 minutes of this abuse we just walked out. Cafe needs to change its seating policy for couples - or get bigger tables. Oh, and replace some of those waitstaff while you're at it!

Cons: Bad attitude, Rudeness, No professional courtesy

Favorite Vegan Food in Key West

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2011

My wife and I (both vegan) recently visited Key West for vacation. We ate at the Cafe three times for dinner. All of the dishes we had were excellent. I had the Artichoke Sandwich (twice) and the BBQ Tofu entree. My wife had the Udon Noodle Bowl, the Vegan burger, and a Sausage Pizza. We had a slice of Carrot Cake for dessert (it took us two nights to eat it). The food was always great. The vegan items are clearly marked on the menu, and it is a nice cozy place to eat dinner. The only negative is that they are closed on Sunday.

Pros: Great Food, Lots of Vegan Options, Reasonably Priced
Cons: Closed Sunday

Great Food

4 Posted on 01 / 01 / 2011

We had lunch at The Cafe during Christmas week. Was really happy with the food and service. Everything we had was very tasteful and served with great presentation.

Pros: Exelent food, great service, healty cruisine

Just wish there were more vegan options

4 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

A nice sit-down restaurant in Key West. The un-wing dings were divine. Excellent craft beer selection.

The Cafe

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2010

After a trip down to Key West. I used Happy Cow to find a plac eat. We found The Cafe, which was very close to where we were staying. The food was great, service was great. I read some previous reviews about them not having certain things. Location can be a problem when it comes to the style food they have so keep that in mind. BUT THE CAFE IS WELL WORTH IT!

Pros: Great location, Wonderful Food
Cons: NONE

Great Food and Service

4 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2010

I had dinner at The Cafe with 3 non-vegetarians in June 2010. The service was excellent. My boyfriend and I shared our entries which were both excellent. We ordered the szechuan stir-fry with seitan and the couscous and quinoa stuffed acorn squash. The waitress warned us that the szechuan was spicy and it was hot, perfect for our tastes, but would probably be too spicy for some. The two other people in our group had the PEI mussels and tuna and both said they were delicious.

Pros: variety of options, service, food quality
Cons: pricey

favorite place to eat in Key West

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2010

This was the first "vegan-friendly" restaurant that I tried in Key West. For my taste, hands down the best I found. Vegan options plentiful and clearly marked, my fish eating friend was happy too. Great beer list! Often veggie restaurants don't offer alcohol. Prompt and friendly service. Cozy atmosphere. When we arrived just before lunch, the place was mostly empty. Then it quickly started to fill up, so I am not the only one who likes it. Thanks!

Cold vibe

3 Posted on 01 / 24 / 2010

I really wanted to love this restaurant but the fondest memory I have was the cool corner moroccan style seating area we got and the dessert. The wait staff was cold and undereducated on some of the dishes. My husband wanted the seitan sandwich on rice instead of bread and was told it couldnt be done (even though you could choose which kind of bread you wanted). We didnt understand why this dish could not be made without the bread. A good restaurant will be more than happy to modify any recipe to please their customer. I got the tofu piccata. They veganized it for me. The picatta sauce was excellent but I thought the tofu could've been done with a littel more imagination. It was just sliced out of the box and baked for a little while so it was slightly crispy on the outside and typically soft and mushy in the middle. As other reviewers have mentioned, they were out of a couple of desserts. I can understand this being a very once in a while problem but this is sounding like it happens a lot. That is not cool. The dessert I did have was the vegan coconut ginger cake and it was fabulous. The portion size of the dessert was extremely generous, that was a big plus. And vegans understand how important dessert is :)

Overall, I wouldnt rush back there again, mainly because of the cold vibe and wicked slow service.

Pros: vegan options, dessert portion, funky decor
Cons: Slow service, cold waitstaff

Decent food, horrible service

2 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2010

I'm a strict vegan and I was pleased to find a restaurant in Key West that has more vegan options on the menu than not. That said, it was quiet Saturday night with the restaurant at less than 50% capacity and apparently that's what they were serving tonight. Each time our waitress tried to take our order, she'd say, "Sorry, that's not available tonight." Finally, I asked her, "Are there any other items not available?" and she added a few more.

The food: The Falafel special with caramelized onions and zucchini was great- as good as any I've had in the middle east. The Bruschetta were very good- fantastic bread. The stir fry was over-done-- WAAAAY too hot-- and somewhat burnt. The spinach Gyoza were overdone and oily.

Then, when we were going to order dessert, the waitress says, "I'll tell you up front that we're out of apple pie." So we looked over the menu, and when she returned to take our orders, I ordered the coconut ginger lime cake to which she replies, "We're actually out of that tonight, too!" I mean, you can't make this stuff up! Unreal. My husband ordered the Warm Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream and he said, "it tasted like it was a Drake's Cake or Entenmans' Cake. Almost like the devil's food portion of a ring ding."

We won't be going back even though we're here in town for a few more days.

Pros: Many options for vegans, healthy cuisine
Cons: service, service, taste of the food

Cafe The

4 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2009

I've eaten here a few times over the last few years and I must say that this is the best, albeit semi-, vegetarian restaurant in the Keys. We've always had great food and service. I imagine the restaurant thrives off of tourists, and having fish on the menu helps bring them in. They serve beer - including from my favourite brewery: Dogfish Head. Although, I'm sure, most of the ingredients have to be trucked in from the mainland, I'm told that they do make their own seitan. Bravo!

Pros: Tasty Food, Great Service, Great Beer

nice staff

3 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2009

someone wrote a review with a bad experience with the staff - ours was the exact opposite when we visited the cafe in april. we had a very nice waitress.

the food, a veggieburger for my boyfriend and the bbq tofu plate for me, was good, but nothing fabulous. the food was beautifully presented, but unfortunately laked a bit in taste.

Pros: nice staff
Cons: a bit tasteless

LOVED The Cafe!

4 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2008

What a pleasant surprise to find vegan delights in Key West! This cool little Cafe offers a comfy island oasis to those seeking vegetarian & vegan options in a town where they still think fish is a vegetable... The "Veggie" Veggie Burger is unique and wonderful, the Lotus tea tofu over green tea noodles was outstanding and the seitan steak rocked a mighty rocking! Chef Keith is friendly and accessible, helping me to feel right at home. I ate at the Cafe daily during our vacation and, if it weren't for the four-hour drive from Palm Beach County, I'd still be eating and relaxing daily at the Cafe. I'll definitely keep coming back for more! - Keith Berger, Boca Raton, FL

Pros: Fantastic food, Comfortable, Relaxed atmosphere

Great food

4 Posted on 02 / 22 / 2008

They advertise this restaurant as "almost vegetarian," and we weren't sure if we wanted to eat there. We looked at their menu in the window and saw things like pepper steak and chicken. We went inside and asked about it. The staff person said that these were meat analogs. The "almost" is because there are two or three fish dishes on the menu.

I had the pesto pizza (the cheese had no animal rennet) and my husbamd had the BBQ tofu plate. Both were delicious, and portions were so large that we brought some back to our rental cottage to heat up for lunch the next day.

Service was good, and the restaurant location is right in the heart of all the Key West action.

Pros: great food, no smoking, big portions
Cons: not 100% veggie

Good food.... not so good service

3 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2008

Me and my huband are vegetarians so we were excited to have lunch at all veggie place. We ordered a kous kous in a squash with raisins which was fabulous we also ordered a sip and a bread (I dont remember the name) which was O.K. and the sangria was damn good. but the worst part of the whole experience was our waitress. She didnt get our appetizer and when my husban reminded her she said "Oh! I wasnt sure if u wanted that!!!" woooow no appoligies nothing after that all we recieved were frown from her She never came back to ask if we were good or wanted something else..... If someone asks me I would definitely recommend this place but plz stay away from that ill-mannered woman!!!

BEST VEGAN RESTAURANT IN KEY WEST

4 Posted on 01 / 13 / 2008

We love the Cafe. It is my favorite restaurant. If we get a chance to eat out my husband doesn't have to ask me where I want to go if the Cafe is open. If your a Vegan you need to give it a try, and you will agree.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

I love this place

4 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

I can't believe I haven't written a review for The Cafe yet! Living in Key West isn't so easy for a vegan, but The Cafe makes it all ok. My friends and family are probably sick of going there every time we go out, but I love it so much! The good thing is that they do have a fish dish or two and some non-vegan items, so no one is totally thrown off. I usually get a stirfry, the brown sugar baked acorn squash, or one of the awesome salads. I haven't had the falafel in ages because I remember it not being very good the first time I had it, so I tend to steer clear. If anyone tries it and it has improved, please let me know!

Pros: Awesome waitstaff, Delicious food, Lots of variety
Cons: Noisy when busy, Don't have crayons for drawing anymore:(

Excellent!

4 Posted on 09 / 14 / 2007

The Cafe is one of the few places in Key West that truly caters to vegetarians. They even have a lot of vegan options. Their veggie burger is vegan out really, really good!

Pros: Good vegan selection
Cons: In the Keys - they run out of stuff!

The Cafe, Key West

4 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2006

I was taken to this place by my friend who I was visiting and enjoyed it so much I wanted to go back the next day. Great tasting food, superb portions, great atmo, plenty of vegan choice. A shame it isn't 100% vegetarian (most of the menu is). Good opening hours also. If it was 100% vegetarian I'd have given 5 out of 5.

Pros: Tasty food / big portions, Plenty vegan choices, Nice staff / atmo
Cons: Not 100% vegetarian

Dear Owner and Manager of The Cafe: