Serves meat, veg options available. Bar and grill with a restored 1920s look, pressed tin ceilings, exposed brick and an oak floor, and serves as a gallery for artists as well as live music. Offers a veggie burger made from scratch and a portabello sandwich on the lunch menu, which could be requested without the cheese. Dinner menu includes spinach pie, veggie johnny cake (could request no yogurt), a mezza plate (could request no cheese), and a stewed tomato dish. Brunch on the weekends. Italian dinner on Sundays with some ovo-lacto vegetarian choices. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, American, Italian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by AquairyFairy
MikeSwiston
MikeSwiston

Great food, great beer

4 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

We ate dinner here in late May, it was a great meal after a long day of travel. The food was a big hit with our 2 small kids, they have a good selection of local beers. The server was very helpful with choosing vegetarian options. There was a band in the front room at just the right volume for listening but still being able to converse.
Unfortunately they do not have the veggie burgers at the moment, hopefully they will next time we are there!

Pros: Food is very good, Helpful stuff
Cons: none!
Jo-Anne
Jo-Anne

a gem

4 Posted on 11 / 30 / 2011

The Bluegrass Kitchen is a gem in an area that is not very vegetarian friendly. For us, it was like finding a river in the desert. The vegetarian / vegan menu items that they do have are really good quality, fresh food. I've probably tried most of the vegetarian options now in our travels through that area, and enjoyed everything. We don't eat the processed stuff that passes for food at Denny's, so this was a real find for us.

Pros: made from scratch, quality ingredients, knowledgeable, helpful staff
hollip
hollip

should not be on happy cow

1 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2011

i thought a restaurant had to be at least 50% vegetarian to be listed on this website. i understand there is little to nothing around here, but a veggie burger and a grilled cheese sandwich is offered at denny's and virtually an restaurant on the planet these days. those items should not qualify this restaurant to be listed on a vegetarian website.

Cons: not vegetarian

mtnfavorites
mtnfavorites

I'm a loyal regular here!

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

I love this restaurant. Really, really love it. I have tried every vegetarian item on their menu except fried green tomatoes (I don't like them), and I have liked all of it. My favorites are the amazing veggie burger and the portabello sandwich. They also regularly have vegetarian and vegan specials not listed on the set menu. I eat at Bluegrass at least once a week, sometimes 2-3 times. It is consistently good, and they care about using local and organic ingredients, too.

Pros: friendly staff, consistently great food, interesting specials
Cons: noisy
aMs42
aMs42

great evening :)

4 Posted on 09 / 13 / 2010

Grabbed a late, light weekend dinner here and got the fried green tomatoes as an appetizer, unique and yummy.
I especially loved the art and things to read, I never got bored of looking around. Keep it up, Bluegrass!

AquairyFairy
AquairyFairy

A Unique Restaurant with a great veggie burger

4 Posted on 02 / 07 / 2010

They make their veggie burger from scratch, and the waiter said it had taken them a few months to figure out how to perfect their vegan recipe. My partner ordered it and it was quite tasty!

They prepare all their food fresh, so be prepared to wait awhile.

My biggest complaint about the menu is that it seems very heavy on the dairy. I ordered a breakfast burrito, described as "seasoned beans, scrambled organic eggs, cheese"..... When it came there were almost no beans and it was like a giant pocket of melted cheese.

But if you order the veggie burger without the cheese on top, it is an easy vegan option.

Pros: one of a kind, friendly waitstaff, a few tasty, fresh vegetarian options
Cons: very heavy on dairy, long wait for food

Dear Owner and Manager of The Bluegrass Kitchen: