CLOSED: Little Cupcakes at ...

The former Big Strawberry is home to Little Cupcakes since early-2014. Offers vegan baked goods and food. JULY 2014 REPORTED SHUT, CONFIRMED BY ITS FB. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan, Organic, Bakery, English, British, Fast food, Take-out, Delivery

jonbec
jonbec

Can't recommend enough!

Posted on 11 / 23 / 2013

This is by far the best place I've been to in a long time. The welcome and generosity of the owner Charlie was amazing, I could've happily and nearly did, stay all afternoon!
For lunch I ate Mexican wrap which was a wonderfully tasty and greedy portion, for a fraction of what I'd expect to pay!
The hot chocolate was better than any dairy and I can't wait to pay another visit to drink chocolate and sample the rest of the menu!
Please visit if you can, I'm sure you won't regret it!

Pros: Wonderful value for money,vegan menu, Warm welcome, Relaxed and comfortable atmosphere
Cons: Don't et the heavy door put you off!
JoshuaMatthews
JoshuaMatthews

Afternoon Lunch.

Posted on 11 / 17 / 2013

I first heard of this restaurant when I was tabling for Animal Aid in Hanley. A friend suggested we visited after we packed up. The Big Strawberry is a very nice, very friendly place with good prices. It's approximately 5 minutes walk from Hanley shopping centre.
Updated from previous review on Sunday November 17, 2013

dropscone
dropscone

Great start to a holiday!

Posted on 07 / 13 / 2013

The friendliest welcome I think I've ever had in a place to eat! Massive portion sizes, excellent value for money, and the bags of mixed sweets to take away are a great idea. If I didn't live over an hour's drive away I'd be here very often indeed!

Pros: Great value, Amazingly friendly owner, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Bit slow (we weren't in a hurry tho!)

juniper7
juniper7

I can't say enough about how good this place is!

Posted on 07 / 08 / 2013

If you want good healthy, freshly made, vegan or vegetarian (but its all vegan anyway :) food then eat here! My favourites are garlic mushrooms on baked potato, and the Mexican wrap! I have never had a bad meal here! I LOVE THE FOOD, THE PLACE, AND CHARLIE! Such a warm welcome I have never had! I am doing my best to always eat here when in Hanley as we must keep this place going! The food is so good we even commissioned our daughters recent birthday cake from here and it was absolutely gorgeous! Best cake ever!!! Vegan chocolate cake, like no chocolate cake that went before! We also love the vegan hot chocolate, the cup cakes, oreo cookie cake, OMG I want to go there now and I already went there today!!!! See you there soon! X

Pros: Excellent food, far too good value!
Cons: None.
LeighandDawn
LeighandDawn

Totally great!

Posted on 07 / 06 / 2013

Been meaning to visit The Big Strawberry for ages and finally made it - and it was worth it. Met the lovely Charli, had some coffee and the Vegan Breakfast on Flat Bread - totally great.

Also chatted to Charli about geocaching and fingers crossed she'll be out there, finding geocaches soon!

We will be back :-)

Take care, Leigh and Dawn.

Pros: Location, Food, Lovely staff
Cons: None.
MokuMoku
MokuMoku

Awesome food, awesome people!

Posted on 06 / 27 / 2013

In the past year I've been visiting The Big Strawberry the food has been amazing, and the people have been so much fun to hang around with, they can always cheer you up when needed, their place is clean, their food is excellent and their drinks are brilliant, every time I visit this place they never fail to make me happy, this is one of the best places to go to for vegetarian and vegan food, they do a big range of dishes and I have tried many of them and I am highly impressed by everything they have produced!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great food, Great atmosphere
Veganbogey
Veganbogey

What a gem!

Posted on 10 / 14 / 2012

Lovely little place. The menu is all vegan and the staff nicely crazy. We had brunch, breakfast panini and pizza panini . Coffee and tea from an incredible range of tea. We then went around the shops and museum and returned for more drinks and cake! Well done to Charlie and Ellie for the lovely atmosphere and letting us sample cake experiments.

Pros: Inexpensive, Vegan, Friendly
Cons: Food can be a bit slow (made from fresh), Difficult to find
1960sveganhousewife
1960sveganhousewife

Setting the bar very high for other vegan eateries

Posted on 08 / 16 / 2012

After living down South and eating in vegan cafes like Iydea, Infinity Foods, etc. in Brighton a lot, I was amazed at how cheap the prices at The Big Strawberry were, and how nice the food was at the same time!

Now I'm a regular visitor, and go at least once a week if I can. I love the roasted vegetable panini, the pizza panini and the peanut butter and oat cookies! I always get a milkshake or a fruit cocktail - the best cocktail I've ever had by far. You can get drinks to take away as well as sandwiches too.

One of the last times I went, they also had a test batch of vegan Battenburg too! it was amazing. I really hope they start selling it more.

Great place to eat and great place to make friends in the veggie community. The only 'cons' I could think of were that service can sometimes be slow - but it's a small price to pay when you consider you're getting handmade, freshly prepared food. It's always worth the little wait - and that the specials aren't always available. I only complain about that because they sound so yummy!

Definitely worth a visit, wherever you're travelling from, and a great place to get your lunch - vegan/vegetarian or not!

Pros: Friendly staff, Delicious food, Stupidly cheap!
Cons: Sometimes slow service, Specials not always available
The Smiths
The Smiths

Vegan Haven In Hanley

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2012

We are so thrilled to have found The Big Strawberry! Having left the area 10 years ago, we still return to visit our folks & how wonderful to know we can finally eat out with confidence! We loved the wraps & look forward to visiting again when we're next up. The place has a lovely atmosphere, very chilled & Charlie (owner) is extremely friendly, bubbly & very welcoming. The area has been desperately in need of a place like this & now it's here. We would highly recommend a visit - great vegan grub, at great prices too! The popularity of The Big Strawberry is bound to soar & it will become a focal point for veganism in The Potteries. The only downside for us is that we live 300 miles away...

Pros: Great Value, Delicious Food, Friendly Staff
shcantliff
shcantliff

A lovely, lovely place with a friendly atmosphere!

Posted on 12 / 02 / 2011

When I first heard about The Big Strawberry, I was slightly concerned that this little, out-of-the-way secret wouldn't live up to my high expectations as a vegan and a Stoke-on-Trent resident. After all, in a city in which a plain salad without cheese/dressing/tuna is classed as a challenging and precise masterpiece of a dish, I did worry that by "vegetarian", the cafe would probably only sell a small selection of jacket potatoes, cheese sandwiches and, at a push, a soup suitable for vegans.
However, I was relieved to discover that The Big Strawberry serves as a perfect, albeit little and modest, location to eat some lovely food, relax, and have a coffee! There is a wide range of vegetarian and vegan dishes, ranging from a delicious leek and potato soup, to a vegan full-English breakfast panini. I have to admit I am addicted to their soya milkshakes, as well as their delicious hot chocolates'. For dessert, there is always a varied and tasty selection of cakes, ice cream (vegan!), jelly and cookies which are just as delicious as the real thing.
In addition to the delightful menu, the staff are absolutely lovely, and the location itself is cosy, welcoming and homely. More importantly, it's cheap - a friend and I both ate 3 courses, as well as buying two hot drinks and a milkshake, and the bill only came to £18!
Ultimately, The Big Strawberry is most definitely not "designed" for vegans and vegetarians - there are no scalding looks if somebody emphasizes that they would normally eat meat, and from my experience, most customers appear most content with the fact that they sell amazing coffee, great lunchtime snacks and meals - and at a reasonable price (without having to queue up for hours at somewhere like Starbucks or Subway!)
I would recommend The Big Strawberry to anyone, and hope that they receive the support and popularity they deserve.

Pros: Cheap, Friendly Staff, Excellent Food
Cons: Hard to find if not local, Can get busy
patsymfc
patsymfc

wow a great place to eat and meet up with friends.

Posted on 11 / 29 / 2011

People in Stoke on Trent have been waiting a long time for a place like this and the wait was worth it. The atmosphere is welcoming and inviting, the staff are friendly and interested in people not just business. I have recommended The Big Strawberry to all my vegan and non vegan friends as it is a lovely place to sit, drink good quality fair trade coffee, vegan hot chocolate, nibble on home made vegan cookies (very delicious) or fill up on more substantial wraps and paninis. I especially like the all day vegan breakfast panini. If you don't visit and support this venture by these lovely people then don't be surprised if you can't find a place to relax, eat, drink and spend time with friends at very reasonable prices in the future. As a long time vegan I appreciate the opportunity to drop in to The Big Strawberry on my way home from work or when I am nearby and I know I will be able to choose things to eat and drink from the menu without all the usual fuss of "no, I don't eat meat, dairy, fish or any animal...no I don't drink milk, no I don't want an overpriced lettuce wrap..." so I am being very selfish in asking people to visit The Big Strawberry, I want it to stay and I'm sure you will enjoy it too :-)

Pros: great food, great customer service, lovely atmosphere

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Little Cupcakes at the Big Strawberry: