The Big Cheese Poutinerie

Serves meat, veg options available. Has two vegan poutine made with vegan Daiya cheese and mushroom gravy. Can get traditional poutine with vegan cheese and gravy, or loaded veggie poutine with sauteed mushroom, caramelized onion, roasted peppers, sweet baby peas. Note: the vegan poutine option is only listed on the take-out menu. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Canadian, Fast food, Take-out, Non-veg
738 - 17 Avenue SW (7 Street SW)
Calgary, Alberta T2S 0B7
403-457-2873

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by kimward8
junipearl
junipearl

Out of Daiya

1 Posted on 02 / 20 / 2014

I ordered the loaded veggie and paid. They made my friend's order and had it on the table for them before letting me know that oops... they are actually out of vegan cheese. They asked if I'd just like it without cheese and I said no that would just be a very expensive fries and vegetables and since my friend was already almost done hers, I would just have my money back. When I originally paid I had put a tip on it and the person working there gave me back my amount minus the tip and I actually had to awkwardly request that I get that back as well. Will not return to this location. Might give the Kensington location a chance.

Baxter
Baxter

It was OK

3 Posted on 05 / 29 / 2013

I had the loaded veggie poutine - it wasn't anything outstanding, but certainly not terrible. What I can't stand, though, is when restaurants charge extra for Daiya cheese. I mean, come on, it's not like everyone is beating down the door in a quest for non-dairy cheese. Every non-veg I know wouldn't touch the stuff. So would it really be so hard to throw a bone to us Daiya eaters and include it in the prices? There, I've ranted.

kimward8
kimward8

Good Vegan Poutine

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2013

I had the vegan version of the traditional poutine. So it had mushroom gravy and Daiya mozzarella, and it was really good! I'm glad there's a place to get decent vegan poutine in Calgary. You can also get the Loaded Veggie poutine vegan-style.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Big Cheese Poutinerie: