The Beet Box Cafe

Veggie cafe nestled inside Celestial Natural Foods store. Serves organic local food, fresh juices and smoothies. Colorful and bright atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Organic, American, Juice bar, Take-out
66-443 Kamehameha Hwy (North Shore, Oahu)
Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712
808-637-3000

Open Mon-Sat 9am-5pm, Sun 9am-4pm.

First Review by s_k_
taraep
taraep

Pretty good, very convienent

4 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

We checked this place out for lunch while spending the day on the North Shore. It got very busy (fortunately after we ordered) but the food was pretty good. I was told there was no kale when I asked for some but someone a few minutes later ordered and received it, which was odd. We got a Beirut Burger. It was a little odd because the falafel is a patty but the garlic aioli was really good. The Burrito Babe was quite possibly one of the best wraps I've ever had. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who stops by The Beet Box.

Pros: Location, location, location, Great selection, Good food
Cons: Very limited seating
Jodi Tuell
Jodi Tuell

Our new favorite on Oahu

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2013

We visited Oahu in February. We are vegetarian and our daughter, who we met there, is vegan. I had checked out vegan restaurants online before we flew over and discovered the Beet Box. We celebrate 3 birthday together while there, so decided to have a special breakfast the day of our celebration. The food was absolutely amazing! We LOVED everything we ordered. The restaurant is small, but definately had the feel of the island. It was relaxing, the people very pleasant and helpful and the food absolutely delicious. My only complaint is that there is not a Beet Box near where I live!! Would love eating there again!!Grea

Pros: Great food, Islandy environment, good value
Cons: No restaurants in California
DollyWiggles
DollyWiggles

The best of the North shore and possibly all Oaho

4 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2012

In the back of Celestial Natural Foods is this adorable little eatery!

Try all the vegan items! It's all good! If you're wanting something savoury, the Zen scramble or the healthy plate are equally delectable, and for something more on the sweet side they have some fantastic acai bowls. Another bonus, for me anyways, was that the tables had shakers full of nutritional yeast! I love the stuff and it was so cool to see a place have that instead of some sort of dairy-based parmesan.

I only got to eat there once but I want to go back to Hawaii partly just to try more food there. Plus the drive along the coast up to the north shore is gorgeous, and a little past Haleiwa is a beach where you can see sea turtles :)

The staff were also super friendly and helpful!

Pros: really cute, great food, nutritional yeast!
Cons: parking, hours, very tiny space
reneepenney
reneepenney

Great Vegan Options

5 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2012

I try to eat here every time I'm up North. The Raw~R Salad is fantastic and a must-try; the cashew cream dressing is made perfectly. The Healthy Plate of Food is also vegan and well-balanced. Another great thing about this place is that the food is not overly salted. Last but not least, the raw vegan slices of pie are excellent and very filling. Take one to go and enjoy later.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Vegan, Filling
Cons: Long wait time
mikolsic
mikolsic

Cozy Cafe

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2012

The Beet Box was recommended to me and my wife by Denise and Tom, the owners and operators of Paradise Air. We had just landed after an early morning flight (which was an incredible experience that deserves its own review), and Denise asked us if we knew what we were getting for breakfast. When I mentioned that we are vegan, the Beet Box was the first place that came to both Tom's and Denise's minds, so we decided to give it a shot.

The cafe is a wonderfully cozy little setup located inside Celestial Natural Foods, a small local and organic grocery store. You have to walk through Celestial Natural Foods, until you reach the very rear of the building, where the Beet Box is located. When you reach the cafe section of the building, you may, at first, feel inclined to hunch over, to avoid hitting your head on the low-hanging ceiling; however, once you acclimatize to the small space, you will begin to appreciate that snug, home-like feeling that it provides. Benched tables line one wall, and a long counter holds the single cash register and gives patrons room to sit and enjoy their orders. Sitting at the bar also allows patrons to watch the chef work, as the kitchen area is directly on the other side of the bar, completely unconcealed. This small, open kitchen reinforces the feeling of home cooking.

The chef, a beautiful young woman whose name I did not catch, is kind, patient, and extremely good at what she does. On her own, she was able to juggle my order, my wife's order, and the orders of 4 other patrons, and we received our delicious food (full meals) in less than 10 minutes. My wife had an avocado sandwich (I don't recall what it's called on the menu) that was nothing short of fantastic. I had the Zen (scrambled tofu, mushrooms, and other assorted veggies) special ordered in a wrap. Both orders were fantastic. After our meals, I ordered a "Freddy's" smoothie: banana, cocoa, and almond milk. Also incredibly tasty.

Prices are very reasonable, especially considering that the chef cooked everything by herself, and the ingredients are all organic. If I lived on Oahu, I would probably eat at the Beet Box at least once a week; as it is, I will definitely visit this brilliant little cafe the next time I find myself on the island.

Pros: reasonable prices, excellent food, cozy atmosphere
gr8vegan
gr8vegan

best and only vegan food on north shore

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2012

Its worth the trip to the north shore just to eat at beet box. Its tucked away in the back of a small healthfood store. The crowd was lively and the food was amazing. The seating is crampt, but its part of the atmosphere to rub elbows with the surfing crowd in this ultra huppie cafe. The smoothies and juices are amazing. We had the burrito minus cheese, which was perfection. Totally outstanding adventure! Park behind the post office.

Pros: burrito, atmosphere, juices and smoothies
Dontlietomeman
Dontlietomeman

north shore surf food

4 Posted on 01 / 17 / 2012

Ate there three times these last 2 weeks. Food was great my group ordered at least ten different items and all were great. All items are vegetarian. Some are vegan. Few are 100%oil free as this is used for cooking. Loved the Zen with tofu. Drink was a Baby Azul great! You will find plenty to eat and the atmosphere took me back to 1969.

Pros: flavor, healthy food, made to order
Cons: limited seating
krazykat
krazykat

I so agree with the previous review!

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2011

Sadly, when it comes to food for vegetarians/vegans in North Shore is still limited, either 1)salad or vegetable items from cafe/restaurants that serve meat, 2)granola, bread or pastries from bakeries, 3)shaved ice(seriously! but skip anything with red-coloring). OR, something from farmers market if you were visiting there on weekends... So, what if, I really want to go somewhere that only serves vegetarian/vegan items?This cafe is the one!

I'm very glad I've found this hole-in-a-wall health food joint in North Shore amongst #s of shrimp /seafood wagons, BBQ joints, or seafood restaurants. I must have drove passed by whenever I visited North Shore via Haleiwa, never ever known this tiny cafe had ever even existed! I believe this place used to be called Paradise Found Cafe but I didn't even know anything about the former business or Celestial Natural Foods store itself either which is located just across the street from Bonzer Front, in a building right next to Wave Riding Vehicle! What was I missing here, lol, not anymore.

The place is very tiny. Although you'd see the sign at the store front, the actual cafe is inside of the store, almost squeezed into the very end of property. Seating is very limited: 3 short-bars/counters and a couple of tables, so I assume it'd be packed up very quick if you go there during lunch hours. I went there in the morning right after they opened. As soon as I stepped in, the lady behind the counter told me that their beans are not quite ready yet. I ordered Zen with Tofu which is a breakfast scramble with veges,a side of black beans and rice. I also ordered Immune Booster for a drink. The drink came in few minutes. I didn't wait longer for the food despite of what the lady told me. The food was very tasty with lots of veges in it and nicely seasoned. The drink definitely served up its name, I was bit under the weather on the day but I felt energized after I had the drink.
Seems they have some desserts as well but I didn't get to try one. Next time, I definitely will.

For now on, this is the place for a bite when I visit North Shore, yaay:)

P.S. Not so sure about parking here. I parked in a lot at a community center across the street though...

Pros: Tasty food, Friendly staffs AND clienteles
Cons: Small, Parking
s_k_
s_k_

Worth going a few miles for

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2011

I went out to Ka`ena Point, so this wasn't too far out of the way while returning to Honolulu. I'd been craving a good avocado sandwich before I had to leave Hawaii, and Beet Box more than delivered. The drinks were good, too (though the coffee seems to be made from Starbucks Via packets). The staff are friendly. And boys, remember to put the SEAT DOWN: there are ladies working here (as the restroom helpfully reminds you).

Pros: tasty, good menu, nice vibe
Cons: pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of The Beet Box Cafe: