CLOSED: The Bear Cafe

At the same address as Animal Lovers by Neo Tokyo's retail store. Started as coffee delivery in late-2012 then expanded and combined retail alongside food and coffee and groceries. Caters to vegans and gluten free. All day vegan breakfast includes scrambled tofu, beans, guacamole, toast and dukkah, muesli with coconut yogurt, fresh fruits and toasties. Uses vegusto vegan cheese from Switzerland. Only non-vegan product is cow's milk in coffees. Open and relaxed atmosphere. AUG 2014 REPORTED SHUT, PLEASE LET HAPPYCOW KNOW WHEN/IF IT RE-OPENS! Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Take-out, Western, Australian, Delivery
439 Brunswick St
Fitzroy, Victoria 3065
+61-414507635

Call for Hours

First Review by Aloo

Simple but delicious vegan brunch

3 Posted on 12 / 04 / 2013

I was excited to find out about this place - a vegan-friendly brunch spot on Brunswick Street - and first came here with my partner for a bit of a celebration about a month ago and then again a couple of weeks ago to catch up with friends. The funky rustic look of the place appealed to me, with chalkboard menus and unmatched furniture. I was informed by one of the staff that everything's vegan except the cow's milk used for coffees (a hangover from the pre-existing coffee delivery business). I haven't tried any of the specials yet, but the lunch menu is made up largely of toasted sandwiches. I first ordered a JC's garden - mushroomy and tomatoey with vegusto cheese - then got jealous of my partner's Double Decker (with everything) and had to swap half for half. The big vegan breakfast looks nice but fairly standard. My friend discovered you buy orange juice by the two-litre bottle here rather than by the glass, so be prepared. Chamellia organic teas are available here and, because the coffee at this place is to my knowledge not fair trade, I sampled the Earl Grey with almond milk and this hit the spot nicely. On the visit I opted for a slice of banana bread but this was not quite what I expected, coming out soggy as if microwaved to heat it. I intend this to be a regular spot and look forward to sampling new items.

Pros: Nearly all-vegan brunch spot
Cons: Menu not that varied

Tasty food and strong coffee.

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2013

I had breakfast at the Bear Cafe recently, I got things rolling with a soy latte and my friend had a long black. We both agreed that they were probably the strongest coffees we had ever bought in our lives. Fortunately we are both fans of strong coffee and drank them with relish. We both ordered the Big Bear breakfast which featured olive toast, scrambled tofu, mushrooms, beans and spinach. The food was delicious, my only complaint could be that the portions could have been a fraction bigger, however we both felt that it was a great meal. The Bear Cafe also has a great comfortable atmosphere, it's great to have more vegan places opening up in the inner North of Melbourne. I will definitely be visiting the Bear Cafe again soon.

Pros: Vegan, They don't muck around with their coffee, Atmosphere

Great breakfast cafe in Fitzroy

5 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2013

The Husband found this great little café in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy, near Alexander Parade. It’s basically vegan with cow’s milk as an option. That’s a nice reversal for all of us who have to explain that eggs, benito flakes and even fish are animals and we don’t want to consume them or support their farming practices.

Getting back to the review – the menu is small but contrasts with the other veg/vegan establishments nearby. It’s simple, tasty fare, such as the toasties (toasted sandwiches or jaffles for those of us more than 40 years old). The prices are cheap, again in contrast to other eateries, and the servings moderate. That being said – if you’re not full after eating one dish, it’s not so expensive that you can’t order another! The Big Bear Breakfast alone was enough for both The Husband and myself.

What I particularly like about this ‘moderate’ philosophy is that there’s minimal wastage, something that we need to be aware as a sustainability practice.

The Bear Café is open for breakfast but do check the opening times before travelling.

Pros: vegan, ethically aware, great food

Nom Nom Nom

5 Posted on 06 / 17 / 2013

SUper friendly staff, really good vegan breakfast. We will definitely go back.

The staff is friendly and the prices are reasonable. Worth a try if you're in the area

Pros: Good menu, Organic food, Friendly staff
Cons: Can't think of anything!

Lovely little spot

4 Posted on 06 / 03 / 2013

The Bear Cafe is a great little place at the top end of Brunswick st with a relaxed and friendly vibe. Great coffee and the toasties are awesome(made with vegusto cheese and fancy breads). The homemade muffins were also very good. I'll definately be back, to try their breakfast.

Pros: small and relaxed, vegusto cheese(tastey), nice staff

Coffee stop

4 Posted on 05 / 16 / 2013

I visited The Bear Cafe for a coffee and had a little look around. There were items for sale, such as t-shirts and handbags. Plenty of vegetarian & vegan options and Mister Nice Guy cupcakes.

The coffee was awesome, and reasonably priced, although they do charge 0.30c for soy (as so many cafes do).

Plenty of newspapers to read while you chill out and outdoor seating is available.

Pros: coffee, coffee, coffee
Cons: limited menu
  • Aloo Aloo

Great to hear, I'll be back to sample. :)

• Bear439 Bear439

Hey did you see that we have expanded our menu and it is growing all the time...thanks for the review. love the Bear

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: The Bear Cafe: