The Beano Restaurant

Veggie restaurant at the Guildford Institute. Offers hot and cold food, desserts, salads, tea and coffee. Closes annually in late July through August. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, British, Western, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by hippie housewife
Guest
Guest

A veggie treat

5 Posted on 06 / 25 / 2014

A cool airy place to sit and eat your food as I was on a Saturday, getting away from the bustle of the town which can be heaving with shoppers, you do not feel rushed in any way to leave. Takeaway is now available, which froze beautifully and tasted great. The institute has been redesigned and now has a lift. The light airy feel is much more modern. The food is great, so filling I was too full for pudding which I took away with me to eat later. The food is varied and you can see before you buy as it's set out. Very generous portions and because the server made the food she can tell you the ingredients! Love love love it. If your all about Eco you can bring in your own Tupperware tub and they will use that for the takeaway. It's like a pop up restaurant with a relaxed feel. Go and see for yourself you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Great food generous portions, Very reasonable prices, Takeaways
Cons: Not open Sundays
TMcC
TMcC

Beautiful building and tasty food

5 Posted on 05 / 24 / 2014

I visited Guildford for the day with my boyfriend and we stopped off at The Beano for lunch. The chef was very welcoming and the food was delicious. I had a red lentil&mango bake, a curry and salad, all for 5.75! I highly recommend this place!

Pros: Friendly staff, Beautiful building, Good value
HowardP
HowardP

Vegan faire in Guildford

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

Thank you to the Happy Cow for guiding us to The Beano. Not a restaurant as such, but more like a regular pop up in an interesting building. Counter service, so you see your food before you choose. I'd say around 50% of the hot dishes were vegan. I would categorize the food as high quality home cooked with great flavours. I had a Moroccan dish which was very tasty.
The desserts looked very nice but I was too full to give them a try.
Definitely visit again when we are in the area.

Pros: Great food., Good selection of Vegan dishes., City centre location.
Cons: Short opening hours., Salads not good value as a main dish.

MuK-UK
MuK-UK

Like it!

5 Posted on 10 / 16 / 2012

Great home-made style food, with plenty of vegan options in an interesting venue and priced very fairly. Helpful personable service at the counter, the only downside is that it is not open in the evenings and the school holidays.

Pros: Good food, Good service, Good value
Cons: Not open as often as I would like!
thevegtroll
thevegtroll

FANTASTIC FOOD

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2012

I have just discovered this amazing place.

Open only 12 'till 2pm mon-sat. On Ward street, The Guildford Institute, don't be put off as you must climb 2 flights of stairs, you follow your nose (the smells drifting down are mouth watering) and there is this wonderful Edwardian room set out with tables and chairs.

There are 6 mains and a choice of 5 salads, all made daily by the lovely ladies there. This quirky buffet will not disappoint. Mega cheap to, you can have a main 2 salads and a naughty desert for £9. I often treat myself to a glass of wine too if my mum comes with but they also have juice and coffee etc. ohh, and the home baked lemon drizzle cake is to die for.

You simply must check it out. It is the only veggie place in Guildford after all!

Pros: quirky, only veg place in the town, yummy scrummy food
Cons: hard to find (but worth it!), only open 12-2pm, 2 flights of stairs
keithpp
keithpp
  • non-vegetarian

excellent

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2008

One of the best kept secrets in Guildford.

The place to eat in Guildford.

Lunchtimes only.

Pros: good food
hippie housewife
hippie housewife
  • non-vegetarian

A treasure in a vegan dessert

5 Posted on 09 / 12 / 2007

The only vegetarian restaurant in Guildford, and probably the only place in the surrounding area where you can get a healthy vegan meal. A main course with 2 salads is £5.75. Delicious food. Friendly and relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: delicious food, friendly atmosphere, vegan options

Dear Owner and Manager of The Beano Restaurant: