Vegetarian arts cafe serving lunch, teas, juices, organic fair trade coffee, vegan cakes and snacks. Sells art, crafts, vintage clothing, and jewelery. Hosts events and workshops in the evenings. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, British, English, Western, Catering
178 Above Bar Street (Hants)
Southampton, England SO14 7DW
023-80238582
Closed now

Tue-Sat 10:00am-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm

First Review by teafour2
imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Great vegan Sunday roast!

Posted on 06 / 05 / 2014

I came here with a friend on a sunny Sunday afternoon to try their vegan roast lunch. It was very tasty (vegan toad in the hole!) and pretty good value for money. The Art House also seems like a really vibrant alternative cultural centre for Southampton with a very nice atmosphere and friendly vibe. My one criticism would be that they don't bother to mark vegan options on the menu, which was a bit of a surprise for a vegetarian cafe. I'll definitely be coming back here though next time I'm in Southampton!

Pros: Delicious vegan Sunday lunch, Friendly, artsy atmosphere, Lovely building
Cons: Does not label vegan
VeganFoodEnthusiast
VeganFoodEnthusiast

Atmospheric, Ethical, Not-For-Profit

Posted on 05 / 14 / 2014

My mother and I originally wanted to come here for the spoken word poetry night (the Archimedes Screw Showcase- all of which was amazing)and were beyond glee when we found out the place was almost entirely vegan. We had the Greek Mezze sharer for 2 (Organic stuffed vine leaves, olives, fresh organic salad, homemade hummus, and toasted pita) with two tropical smoothies to start, followed by chocolate fudge cake and coffee walnut cake with chai tea and coffee. The coffee walnut cake was my favourite thing there, hands down, though the chocolate one was also great. As a vegan, it was strange being so spoilt for choice in the baking department, and I found out later that they actually sell the recipes for £1 each.

Added to all the foodie charm was the fact that it's a not-for-profit, run mostly by volunteers... This is a café, bar, venue and gallery for local artists. The sets were great, the food is yummy, and the vibe is most definitely progressive. I'll be coming back whenever I next get the chance.

Pros: Homemade, organic food, Great atmosphere, Not-for-profit venue
Cons: Not completely vegan
SallyC1
SallyC1

Tea, cake and more

Posted on 02 / 06 / 2014

I'm a big fan of the Art House for tea and cake - all of which is vegan. It's great to be able to not only have vegan cake but to be able to choose which one you fancy!
I've also had some nice light meals there.
It's not a fancy place - it's a community interest company. Almost all the staff are volunteers and service can be a bit slow but never so much that it's a problem. I always find it really friendly and such a breath of fresh air compared to the high street chains.

Pros: vegan cake, friendly, good value
Cons: service can be slow, noisy if there's live music

Amy1274
Amy1274

Somewhere to spend a whole evening

Posted on 08 / 22 / 2012

Dropped in for a quick bite and stayed all night! This is a vegetarian cafe/community centre/boutique, with vegan options availiable (ask staff about the specials). The decor and overall atmosphere are great, with books and board games to do, and live music and open-mike comedy on some evenings (donations for entertainment appreciated). Well worth a try!

Pros: location, atmosphere, price
Moominpappa
Moominpappa
  • non-vegetarian

Great cafe

Posted on 06 / 07 / 2011

We had a lovely lunch here. It's got a very relaxing atmosphere and the food was delicious. Will definitely be back again, although next time we will go upstairs where there are some toys to keep the kids occupied, and I shall bring more cash, as they don't take Visa (but the nearest cash machine is only a short walk down the road).

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly volunteers
Cons: Delicious cakes (not good for my diet), Er...that's it
Rufus
Rufus

Best Place in Town!

Posted on 01 / 17 / 2011

A fantastic place for good organic, vegetarian food in a relaxed, friendly astmosphere with some great events and workshops going on. I love it, highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 17, 2011

Hoppsie
Hoppsie

Love this place

Posted on 01 / 15 / 2011

It's really cozy and nice in there. I like the tea they are serving and especially the chinaware! The atmosphere is very relaxed and the food (vegetarian ofc) is excellent. Very friendly staff. I can only recommend it and spread the word.

Pros: friendly staff, good value, good food
teafour2
teafour2

fantastic food and atmosphere

Posted on 11 / 28 / 2010

I really love this place - they have a big range of vegan food, from snacks to main meals, but my favourite is to have a big slab or vegan cake and a pot of tea with soya mike. It's got a lovely relaxed, community atmosphere and they also do lots of classes such as knitting, art, story telling and drumming.

Dear Owner and Manager of The Art House: