The Acorn

Casual fine-dining modern vegetarian restaurant and bar opened in spring 2012. Serves west coast cuisine and uses fresh produce from local urban farms. Menu items are clearly marked. Reported to HappyCow to use only veg rennet or rennet-less cheeses. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Raw, Canadian, American, Beer/Wine

First Review by kimward8
CoeurDeLouve
CoeurDeLouve

sexy enough for date night!

4 Posted on 03 / 18 / 2014

Ahhhhh, this place is awesome.

I mean, not only the music, the cocktails, the décor, and even the bathroom are cool, but the food, the food!

I've had too many a pleasant evenings here and that is why, if I am going on a date, this is my place of choice. Everything is sexy and sophisticated; I am just glad I don't have to compromise my food choices to enjoy that!

I have never had a bad meal here, all is delicious and caters to everyone from vegan to vegetarian to pescetarian, and more. On top of it, it is local. the only thing is that it gets packed so show up early to avoid disappointment.

All food here is made with care and you can tell someone in the kitchen loves to please people with their creations.

Pros: inventive, sexy, local
Cons: sometimes service lacks
shirley1
shirley1

very yummy

5 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

We finally got to eat at acorn on sat night . We got the last 2 stools at the counter which added to the ambiance.
I started with the Brussels sprouts and the the root veg risotto. Both were. Very yummy.
My husband started with the soup which he loved.
He also had the risotto which he found very tasty and ate it all.

Pros: good food, friendly service
Cons: do not take reservations
carr123
carr123

Consistently amazing

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2013

Every time I come here the food is amazing. The vegan version of the kale salad is my go-to, but I have also had their variation on raw zucchini pasta time and time again and it is so good! Overall anything I have ordered from here has delectable flavor combinations that make me savour every bite!

I have tried almost all the vegan restaurants around Vancouver, and The Acorn is my favorite. Just a little cheaper than the other vegan restaurants that attempt to be upscale, but is the only one that actually serves food that tastes gourmet.

If you don't get here before 6 the line can be up to an hour, but we usually plan for that and get a coffee/tea before. It's worth that wait.

Pros: AMAZING food, less $ than other vegan upscale places
Cons: can be a long wait, loud, busy place (makes sense)
digiri
digiri

Pretentious But Good

3 Posted on 07 / 16 / 2013

I took my sister (non-veg) for dinner. We showed up promptly at 5PM and were the second table seated. Sweet! Missed the lines everyone complains about. But that's when the pretentious attitude started with our server. The whole time there was this snooty air which was totally undeserved.

Yes, the food was good. Yes, the food was pretty. But this is the West Coast - there was no table cloth, they didn't change the cutlery or dirty side plates between courses (I can't stand it when the waiter handles my cutlery and then doesn't take it way) and she couldn't describe the food to save her life - not worth that snooty air.

We started with the mushroom satay. Yummy and I'm still trying to figure out how I can steal the recipe for the sauce. Almonds, tahini and something else that is torturing me.

Food-chain Fannie had the halloumi and was satisfied - I sampled the pancake and the pea mash and it was pretty tasty.

I had the Orecchiette minus the butter finish and it was delicious. Carnivore Cate agreed but mentioned some parmesan would complete it.

Appetizer, two mains, three glasses of wine = $105.

Would go back if another person requested but not as my idea.

BradenPollock
BradenPollock

Worth the wait

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2013

They only take reservations for parties of 6 or more. We had to wait more than an hour for a table on a Friday night. I almost gave up because I was do hungry. I'm glad I waited. The food was spectacular and the entire staff was super friendly. Go. Trust me.

Pros: awesome food, great staff, full bar
Cons: not a vegan restaurant, long wait

BlastardHempster
BlastardHempster

Not good, Not Vegan and not really Vegetarian

2 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

I ate here with a group. Unfortunately they slipped dairy into my food which made me quite ill for the night. They knew I was vegan - but first they brought a dish with dairy cheese on top which I clearly saw and forced them to take it back. Then, somehow somewhere they slipped in dairy again :(

[edit by staff]

In addition to all of this, it's very crowded with meat eaters trying to be trendy and the food isn't special enough to make the risk of getting slipped cheese worth it.

Pros: A few of the staff are nice, Nice decor, Good location
Cons: Very expensive, Might slip you dairy into a vegan dish
Nomeatforme
Nomeatforme

Over-hyped

2 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2012

I read the reviews on here and on yelp and thought that I had to try it. It sounded so good. When I read reviews and 95% of them are 5 stars and 5% are 1 star, I assume the bad reviews are due to bad days or simply people who have extreme standards. But I have to say, the bad reviewers have some points to be made.

Their system of how they line people up outside until after opening and then fill the tables full, is ridiculous. This means that if you don't get a table right away, you're waiting at least an hour. People seem to really like to chat and take their time eating here. We ended up waiting 1.5 hours. To make matters worse, they don't want you sitting at the bar waiting. They want you to go outside. I was with some pushy type people, so we were able to wait inside due to the fact that the hostess seemed timid. But we got looks the entire time.

Once seated, the waitress was quite friendly and the service was okay. She never did ask to refill my drink though. I then ordered the Halloumi. I LOVE cheese. To be fair, I've never had this dish before, so maybe this is normal. But it tasted like pure salt. I ate it because I was hungry, paid $20 for a chunk of cheese, and waited 1.5 hours for it. But honestly, if it were say, $10 (which would seem more reasonable), I probably wouldn't have finished it. Our bill was well over $100 for 4 of us.

I feel like they're trying to create this upscale feeling simply by having people line up outside. But it really is overhyped and way overpriced! I highly doubt I'll be returning. I'm sure some of their other dished are good, but nobody at my table seemed too terribly impressed. And if I'm going to be paying $20 a dish, I better be getting something fantastic!

Pros: Unique items
Cons: Expensive, long wait, no waiting area inside
vegan frog
vegan frog

A new option in Vancouver

4 Posted on 10 / 13 / 2012

I wish they had more vegan options. We managed to find what we needed though. The restaurant is pretty small and of course packed. We went there for a friend's birthday party. The food was absolutely beautiful and very well presented. We shared the beetroot ravioli and the kale salad as starters. The kale salad came with perfectly fried tempeh cubes and with a cashew and lemon vinaigrette. It was delicious. Then we had the king mushroom dish, it was exquisite, although for the price, pretty small. For dessert, we had the peanut butter raw terrine and again, between the presentation and the taste, we were not disappointed. Even though it is a great gourmet option for Vancouver, it still doesn't match the Milleniums or Portobellos of this world. I would still give it a 4 because it's better than average.

Pros: Beautiful presentation, Almost soy free, Creative
Cons: Staff not super friendly, Expensive, Noisy
axelboot
axelboot

Exquisite cuisine, with excellent presentation..

4 Posted on 09 / 02 / 2012

We were a group of four who ate here for the first time.
We ordered two appetizers: an artichoke paté, and beet ravioli. With the paté, you receive toasted bread (crostinis), but there aren't enough provided- we had to ask for extra. Not a good value for the $10. The beet ravioli tasted delicious, but was only eight thin slices of beets (red and golden). It wasn't worth the $10 price.

For the main course, I had the Houllimi cheese which was superb. Tasty green peas underneath, a zucchini pancake, and the portion size was fine. We were all satisfied by the entrées we ordered, although at $19 each they were a bit pricey compared to other vegetarian restaurants in the city.

That being said, the level of presentation of the food, the quality of preparation, the attention to detail and the flavours are absolutely wonderful. I would not hesitate to come here again.

Thus, my recommendation is to skip ordering the appetizers, order a salad to share instead. We didn't have any desserts either here, but they again should probably be shared unless you aren't on a budget (I think each was around $9).

Pros: Beautiful presentation, High quality food, Superb flavours
Cons: Wait time for a table-25 min, Service is very busy
kimward8
kimward8

Classy

4 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2012

The food was very fancy looking and tasted good. I had the Aubergine main dish and the tomato salad and collard rolls. We also tried the chocolate peanut butter dessert with coconut whipped cream. The food all tasted good, but I would have preferred if they had more vegan options. It's also a bit expensive. I wish they had some good tofu dishes, or some more complete vegan meals, like Millenium in San Francisco.

Pros: Decor, Location
Cons: Expensive, Busy

Dear Owner and Manager of The Acorn: