Glasgow vegan restaurant and pub. Typical main course around £5-6, good sized helpings. Impressive selection of vegan and organic real ales. Thursday nights feature "Dub and Grub", free entry reggae music night with a vegan set menu for £10. Food is served until 9pm every night. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, International, Beer/Wine
10-14 Kelvinhaugh Street (off Argyle Street)
Glasgow, Scotland G3 8NU
0141-576-5018

Open Mon-Fri 12.30pm-midnight, Sat-Sun Midday-Midnight.

First Review by am22ssj
Natalieroses
Natalieroses

Amazing!!

5 Posted on 06 / 30 / 2014

We ate here yesterday and it was absolutely amazing. I got the 78 burger and it was so delicious. The mayo is to die for and the think cut chips were super tasty. Will definitely be eating here again if i am ever in Glasgow again!

Pros: not too expensive , friendly helpful staff
sheaven7
sheaven7

Comodo, accogliente, porzioni abbondanti

5 Posted on 06 / 16 / 2014

A vederlo da fuori non si direbbe mai che è un posto vegano. Infatti praticamente non è scritto da nessuna parte. Porzioni abbondantissime, grande varietà, ci sono stata con un onnivoro a cui è piaciuto anche più di me. Atmosfera casereccia, forze servizio un po' lento, comodi divani e camino acceso in inverno. Ottimo rifugio nei numerosi giorni di pioggia. Ideale anche per famiglie.

Pros: Accogliente, Prezzo ok, Porzioni abbondanti
craigmc
craigmc

nice bar, just time your visit.

3 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

We arrived just before 6. Unfortunately that seemed shift changeover and and avoidance of eye contact and service.

It wasn't busy, but took about ten minutes to get served, and the lack of interaction was not very good.

It's a great bar, but on this evening I did not want to eat here. Needs to improve the service.

Pros: vegan
Cons: service
DIN8
DIN8

Meat free Monday

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2014

The 78 is a nice vegan coffee bar in Kelvingrove. The food is simply fantastic and the portions are gigantic. But beware of the "Meat Free Monday": Of course every day is meat free at the 78 but every Monday they offer 2 courses for £9.50 or 3 courses for £11.50. You will have to be very careful when you order or you might end up totally stuffed. :-)
Updated from previous review on Thursday March 27, 2014

Pros: excellent food, good value, nice atmosphere
christopherjboyce
christopherjboyce

I could easily spend all day here - in fact I did

5 Posted on 11 / 05 / 2013

I really like "The 78". I went there earlier in the year and thought it had a really nice wholesome atmosphere. I can't remember what I ate and my feelings towards the food but I do particularly remember that the staff were ultra friendly and helpful and that it was just a nice place to be. So I went back as I was passing through Glasgow with the specific intention of doing some work on my laptop and generally hanging out. There is a nice fire to relax by. Food was pretty decent - not outstanding but good pub grub...I had the three course meal which was very well priced...and the cake was very amazing...

Pros: Great atmosphere, Great cake, Good value

nich
nich

Lovely place, fantastic food!!

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2013

Surprised at how empty the place was - I guess 3pm is off-peak. Love the cafe-bar feel and the service was speedy and friendly. And the best part? The food! Generous portions and very well made; had the hummus and beetroot hummus dips with pitta and Cajun spiced chips (both listed as starters but were plenty as lunch for two). Then had the chocolate, orange and raspberry torte. Definitely recommend it - amazed it's vegan it's so rich!

Note: Can be easy to miss it's on a street just off of the main road, make sure you don't walk past it.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly atmoshpere, Good value
Cons: Can be very quiet
jesse
jesse

Good food, prices, slow service

3 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2013

The previous reviews stating that the service is slow are spot on. The food is very nice, and while the staff are congenial enough when they happen by your table, it is difficult to order anything. I repeatedly went up to the bar to request menu items and the bill, and the waitress acted like I was forcing her.

Still the food is good enough to recommend and return for more. The prices are very reasonable.

Pros: Nice food, Reasonable prices
Cons: Slow waitstaff, Waitress acts put upon
jooles
jooles

Nice enough food, slow service.

3 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2013

We went to the 78 on a lunch time when it was not busy and ordered our meals after waiting to be served for about 10 mins. The food took ages to come and the waiter forget several things we asked for. The food is nice enough and the prices are good but while the staff seem nice they are not quick or efficient.

Pros: Dog friendly, good prices, decent menu
Cons: Terrible service
brit-brit
brit-brit

Best Vegan Venue I've Found!

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2013

This is my personal favourite Vegan eatery and bar. I spent my 22nd birthday here and come back whenever I can since.

They can do no wrong with the food, the bar and nighttime entertainment is great and just the vibe of the place is great.

If Happy Cow offered a 10* rating this place would get mine!

Pros: Fab Food, Nice Welcome, Great Value
Cons: None!
Sus_vegansoul
Sus_vegansoul

Disappointing

2 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2012

We have been to the 78 a few times in the past, the menu is quite good as well as the vibe. My partner and I went there for lunch today and were rather disappointed. We did not get aknowledged at all upon sitting down (it was not even busy), we had to get the menu ourselves. It took them about 10 mins to get back to us to take our drinks order. We waited a fair bit for our food to arrive. After asking for the desert menu we waited 20 minutes (!) but noone ever got back to us to take an order - although we clearly had eye contact and made ourselves known. After having had to wait for that long we decided to just pay the bill and leave. Had to go back to the bar to ask for the bill and yet there was another wait of 10 minutes. Did not even get aknowledged. All in all very poor and not very friendly service at all. Seems to be going down hill.

imogenmichel
imogenmichel

Great dinner out!

4 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2012

Took a group of non-vegans here for dinner and it was great - the only downside was that they had a major kitchen equipment malfunction and so a lot of the menu was off for the night. There was a wonderful selection of beers and the quality of the food was superb, especially as we went on a Monday when they have a special offer of 2 courses for £9 so it was very good value.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Great beer
Tara HD
Tara HD

Good food but there was only 1 main dish

3 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2012

I went there for dinner on a Thursday evening. They only had one single dish which I found surprising but obviously their usual menu is not served Thursday evenings (see their webpage for more information). That evening they had tajine with couscous. It was very good even though in my opinion it had not even slightest similarity to what I know as tajine.

Pros: all vegan, tasty food
Cons: only 1 main dish Thursday evenings
cms1000
cms1000

78 Glasgow

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

Absolutely fantastic place. Food excellent and reasonably priced. Great choice of decent ale, too. Really nice atmosphere.

Caryne
Caryne

Brilliant vegan pub with great 'comfort' food

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2012

Good pub grub at excellent prices. The food is all vegan, we had garlic bread, veggie burger and chips and a chocolate torte for dessert. All the food was very tasty and the service was quick and friendly. What more can you ask for?

Pros: All vegan, Cheap, Friendly staff
Cons: A little out of the main part of town
mmoneypenny
mmoneypenny

Favourite in Glasgow

5 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2011

Our favourite restaurant in Glasgow. So nice to sit down and enjoy a meal without worrying whether they've stuck milk or butter in your dish and forgot to tell you. Great atmosphere, delicious food, nice selection of soft and alcoholic drinks.
Can't fault it.

Pros: Atmosphere, Tasty food, Value for money
harrybean
harrybean

Brilliant place

5 Posted on 11 / 24 / 2011

My friend and I came here for dinner after finding it on this website. It was a great, friendly and busy pub. The food was totally scrumptious, there were a good number of options on the menu and we had a lovely evening here.

lucyblack74
lucyblack74

Wonderful cosy place - a must for vegan foodies!

5 Posted on 11 / 21 / 2011

I go to The 78 all the time, it's easily the nearest to 'gourmet' vegan food that Glasgow has. I also take non-vegans there all the time, and without fail they are always pleasantly surprised and impressed by the choice and quality of food.

Last time I visited was on a Meat Free Monday and it was probably one of the best meals I've ever had there. I had the millet and quinoa cakes to start with - I've never had that before and it's quite unusual to come across something made which millet which is a shame as it's really good - and they were so nice. Very light and tasty - not stodgy at all. They came with a lovely little side salad and I really enjoyed them. For a main course I had one of the special pies - butterbeans and sweet potato perhaps - it was a week ago so I can't quite remember, but it was really lovely! So lovely in fact that I went back a few days later and had another pie, which was equally as good! For pudding, we shared a peanut butter and chocolate cake - it was delicious - and really moist and tasty.

Another favourite I have to mention is the coconut and bean chilli - you can get it as a starter with nachos and it is soooo good!

It's a cosy wee place - it often has a coal fire burning, and the employees are really friendly and pleasant too.

The menu changes quite frequently, and they do some really fantastic bargains - at the moment (Nov 2011) they are doing a Meat free Monday deal of 2 courses for £8 or 3 courses for £10. Bargain! There's also a Daily Pot for a fiver Monday to Friday - excellent value. Portions are generous but not excessive.

Pros: Cosy atmosphere, Great food!, Lovely employees
MimmyK
MimmyK

A fantastic meal

5 Posted on 09 / 15 / 2011

I enjoyed a fantastic meal at the 78. I would definitely recommend it to anyone, vegan, vegetarian or other. The staff were fantastic and the food was seriously drool-worthy. Loved it, loved it!

Pros: Excellent Food, Healthy, Vegan alcohol :)
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

nice pub/cafe

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2010

neat little place in the west end of glasgow. pretty good selection of things to eat. cozy atmosphere and you can bring dogs in!

natz
natz

impressive

4 Posted on 08 / 16 / 2010

We ate in Stereo and Mono before trying 78 as their sister place but i think its my favourite of all three. It is out of the city but a couple of streets away from both the riverside with the architechtural landmarks of the Finnieston Crane, Clyde Arch and the Tower and also a couple of streets away from gorgeous Kelvingrove park and museum and art gallery so there is no excuse for tourists not to find it out. We went at lunchtime only but the dinner menu looked very impressive too. Good range of sandwiches, and mains, puddings were great - we had the rice pudding with mango sauce, very rare to find vegan rice pudding and was perfectly cooked. The mango gave it a modern twist. Also had the choc cake which was fab. All drinks vegan too so my husband sampled some of the ales, again usually rare to find. They do serve Red Stripe beer which isn't vegan but that is clearly marked. Comfy chairs and sofas to veg out and laze a day away and lots of evening entertainment advertised so would like to go in an evening next time. Good prices too!

Pros: great, helpful staff, big portions, more variety than usual for vegans
hack_man
hack_man

Pub becomes Restaurant

4 Posted on 09 / 06 / 2009

A great vibe exists in this place. It's a pub, a cafe, bar and restaurant all in one. Great atmosphere at night when everyone is dining and enjoying the great food on offer. Reasonable prices and excellent selection of main courses and drinks. A little bit away from the main centre of Glasgow but definitely worth the journey.

Pros: food, range of beers
Greenbob
Greenbob

Great food, service & a relaxed atmosphere

5 Posted on 10 / 12 / 2008

It would be hard to be critical about anything in this place. Reasonably priced, good tasty food and well presented. Good selection of quality beer. It's got to be on the "must visit" list for Scottish vegans

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere
Cons: None, None, None
juliej
juliej

Yummy

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2008

This was a stundenty hang out & it is totally vegan. They sell very nice organic beer. The food is just as tasty. We had the vegetarian Haggis which came with leeky mash & sugar snap peas & Maylasian stir fry, they were both lovely.

Pros: Tasty food, Good value, Nice beer
Cons: skinny jeans , skinny jeans, skinny jeans
am22ssj
am22ssj

YUMMY!

5 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2008

It creeped my out to order it, but the waiter convinced me to try vegan haggis. It was delish!!! The entire menu is vegan soups, salads, entrees... I tasted the lemon grass and borscht soups and they were so yummy. It was lovely having warm vegan food in cold, wet Glasgow in December. They also have a bar with many vegan beers and ciders. The atmosphere is pub style with tables and sofas a chairs. A must if you visit Glasgow! Very nice staff to vegan Americans visiting their city.

Cons: Excellent food, Cool, relaxed atmosphere, Friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of The 78: