Thali NR Sweets Cafe

Opened in June 2012, this Indian sweets and food cafe specializes in thali plates. Also offers a few Malay and Chinese dishes. All a la carte menu items can be prepared without onion and garlic upon request. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Lacto, Indian, Malay, Fast food, Take-out

veggiebubble
veggiebubble

Disappointing

Posted on 01 / 14 / 2014

I was planning to eat at Woodlands but it was packed full with no seats available so I thought I'd try this place instead which was empty (maybe that was a sign!). I tried the thali which wasn't great. Staff were pretty grotty too. On the menu it clearly said in English that an extra portion of rice and vegetable dish was free with the thali. However, I was charged extra when I left.

Cons: Cold food, Unfriendly staff, Overcharged
YaraCoelho
YaraCoelho

Excellent

Posted on 11 / 04 / 2013

I really enjoyed this restaurant. It offers a wonderful variety of dishes from the most simple thali to the fanciest Aloo tandoori gourmet.

The portions are generous, the meals are delicious and the price is great. This restaurant is well located at Lebuh Penang and open all day.

For more detailed info: http://www.heartofavagabond.com/2013/11/the-top-2-indian-vegetarian-restaurants.html

Pros: great food, variety, price
anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Disappointing

Posted on 03 / 23 / 2013

This place isn't terrible, and I would have been happy to find it in a small town without other vegetarian options. But in the gourmet-eating paradise of Penang, it's a disappointment. The workers were not very friendly. I chose the only vegan option on the menu (a thali). Most of the (fairly large) menu contains cow milk, butter or cheese. But anyway, it turns out that they just put together the thali from the (not very fresh looking) dishes sitting in the buffet counter - where there are more vegan options. The curries tasted fine - interesting spices. But there wasn't much to them - almost no vegetables, just a bit of mock meat and sauce, and it was cold. I was still hungry afterwards so I ordered a dhal, which was thin and bland, but maybe that's their style. Together it cost around RM 12. The decor is that new, modern, soul-less, fast-food-joint style. The range of sweets looks good but most contain dairy, and when I asked which didn't contain dairy, I didn't trust their answers, since they pointed out some that said milk or butter in their labels.

Pros: Sweets (if you eat dairy)
Cons: Needs more vegan options and better understanding , Unfriendly workers, Unimpressive thali

Dear Owner and Manager of Thali NR Sweets Cafe: