Göteborg Indian vegetarian food restaurant, opened Dec 2012. Offers food from Southern and Northern India and also takes inspiration from other oriental countries. The restaurant was renovated with 80% recycled material and features a bar and lounge. Menu is in English and Swedish. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Organic
Värmlandsgatan 18B
Gothenburg, Sweden 413 28
+46-31140310
Closed now

Mon-Thu 11:00am-4:00pm, 4:30pm-10:00pm, Fri 11:30am-11:00pm, Sat 1:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-8:00pm

First Review by polly_morf
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++
+++VeGaNiSaToR+++

Very nice

Posted on 09 / 10 / 2014

A very nice place, with good indian food and big quantity.
No vegan dessert.
Updated from previous review on Thursday September 04, 2014

kristinivarsson
kristinivarsson

Ok Indian food

Posted on 07 / 15 / 2014

It is great that Gothenburg got a vegetarian Indian restaurant! But the food is not more than average.

Pros: Both North and South Indian food, Good menu
Cons: Nothing special about the food
Littlething
Littlething

Tasty food in a cozy environment!

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2014

I have eaten, as well as ordered take-away, from Thali many times (you could say frequently) and the food is very tasty. All the food is vegetarian and a few of the dishes are vegan (clearly marked on the menu). They also two dishes that changes daily - one of which is vegan.

I have tried all of the vegan dishes and all had very high quality. I have also tried the daily many times and it's usually very tasty and every time I've tried it has been very different from the last one. So even if they don't have that many vegan choices, there is still a lot of variation on the menu. The naan bread is also vegan (except for the one with cheese) and tastes very good.

Another good thing is that their menu is listed online and they update their Facebook page each day with the daily dishes.

There is a lot of Indian restaurants in Gothenburg and I've tried some of them, but Thali is definitely my favorite!

Pros: Tasty food, good variation of food, cozy enviornment
Cons: maybe a bit pricy

bananaspender
bananaspender

lovely staff, hearty food

Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

Our host was absolutely lovely and guides us through what was vegan. The food was yummy too.

Pros: friendly helpful staff, delicious food, trendy location
Cons: no english menu , no vegan dessert (which is quite common)
Gudrun
Gudrun

Mixed feelings

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2013

I visited Thali together with three non-vegetarian family members. We asked a staff member for advise and guidance because the type of food (Indian + vegetarian) was not very familiar for some of us. Unfortunately the lady was very unconcentrated and did not seem very interested.

Initially two of us had ordered garlic breads as starters but when we learned that a member of out group could not stand garlic (while the orders were still taken) we changed this order and ordered something else.

However, we did get the garlic bread and one of us who had ordered a samosa as a starter did not get her starter at all.

I personally liked my main course which was a quite spicy combination of various small vegan dishes. But two of us had dishes which were too spicy for them and they could hardly eat anything, they later left the place hungry. When I informed the staff member that two people had problems with the spicy food she did not show any interest and did not offer anything to ease the pain. When I paid the bill (full price of course) she pointed out that there was space for tip, which, as my Swedish relatives told me, was quite unusual for Sweden where tip is usually included and you only pay extra tip when you are really very satisfied with the service. Well, this was not the case.

I believe the food at Thali's general is ok or even good, but a bit more attention and good advise from the staff could have prevented a spoiled evening for our group.

Pros: good food if you like it spicy
Cons: unhelpful staff
Vegardr
Vegardr

Great food, nice atmosphere and friendly staff

Posted on 08 / 31 / 2013

I found this restaurant using HappyCow and went there to have a meal. As the title states, the people and atmosphere was nice and the food I ate was great. Also it was nice with some Indian beer. It wasn't too expensive either.

The place looks great and their concept about being environmental friendly is appealing in my opinion. I also got some information about the food I ate from the waiter, so that was interesting.

For me it's a big plus that they serve only vegetarian food, and that is one of the reasons I chose this place. I do recommend it! :)

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Good value
jimbobjoe99
jimbobjoe99

Great Food

Posted on 08 / 17 / 2013

Found this restaurant through this site and was very happy with the food and the service.

Upon arrival we were informed that they had just updated the menu and were still awaiting the English menus from the printers, so the chap went through the menu with us and we settled on his recommendation, which was a selection of 4 small dishes from Northern india, and the same for Southern India, plus a cheese Naan. The meal was excellent, and more than enough for us (2 people).

I would most definitely go back to this place if I returned to Gothenburg.

Pros: Good service, Good price, reasonable value
Odda
Odda

Tasty and great Indian food!

Posted on 07 / 04 / 2013

Me and my 14 year old son ate here when visiting Göteborg in July 2013 after reading one other great review here on Happycow. This is the only vegetarian Indian restaurant in Göteborg, and we were not disappointed. They had several vegan dishes on the menu, and the one I had was one of the best Indian dishes I have ever tasted! My son, who had a vegetarian dish with cheese, agreed. Excellent service and moderate price level. Thali is definitely worth a visit!

Pros: Great spicy food, Excellent service, Nice facilities
Cons: Could have been more vegan dishes
polly_morf
polly_morf

Tastiest vegan indian food in town!

Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

The food is just fantastic. Me and a couple of friends went there. They were non-veg, and nagged a bit in the beginning, but the food was more than tasty enough to silence their mouths.

They had an offer to make your own three dish dinner that we all ate, and everything from the appetizers to the dessert was just fantastic! The service was great (although maybe a bit inexperienced). Good selection of beer and wine as well.

I had the vegan Pirog appetizer, the south indian selection as main course and a mango sorbet as dessert and left extremely satisfied.

Together with Chateau Beirut the best "upper middle priced" vegan food in town.

Pros: Great food!, Good service!, Great atmosphere
Cons: Just one vegan dessert

Dear Owner and Manager of Thali: