Thai Veggie Hutt- Shu Yuan

Quaint little place with quick service. Most menu items are vegan and includes mock meat or tofu. Mock meat items include soy nuggets, gluten duck, veggie beef chunks, and veggie ham strips. Limited drinks, BYO. Serves a variety of rice and noodle main dishes about 6-7USD each. Vegan dim sum, crispy spring rolls, rice paper wrapped snacks, and bubble drinks. Previously named Shu Yuan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Chinese, Thai
68-70 Liverpool Street, Shop 7 Bank Arcade
Hobart, Tasmania TS 7000
+61-3-6231-1270

Open Mon-Sat 11-3:30, closed Sun.

First Review by vegan_simon
ChickpeaKitty
ChickpeaKitty

Takeaway Love

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2014

We went at a very busy time and were quite hungry when we got there.... Mistake, or was it?

The quickest option does seem to be to order from the 'vats' on display. It works the same as most Indian places, where you choose rice and a certain amount of 'other' dishes.

But, I'm difficult and chose to order the 'crispy "duck"' which meant waiting for them to make it, by an increasingly busy counter.

BUT, it is TOTALLY worth it. I adored the textures, the flavours and they were generous with serving sizes. They were even lovely enough to throw in a skewer of what looked to be tofu because we'd had to wait (totally unnecessary as I could see they were busy and doing their best)

I wish they'd been open when we swung by on the afternoon before we left (around 4PM on a Monday). I was eager to try some of the other dishes and to get more of those skewers!

The staff were friendly, the food was well priced and most of all, it was delicious.

Pros: vegan friendly, Great food, friendly staff, Good value
Cons: Early Closing Times.
David Ward
David Ward

Great Little Place

4 Posted on 07 / 29 / 2013

The service was excellent, the helpings generous and the food pretty good.

Pros: Service, Serving Sizes, Price
donnzpg
donnzpg

Really fast, really bad

2 Posted on 06 / 21 / 2013

My first try here this past Thursday, I anticipated a yummy vegan meal. First, they have no printed menus… only several vats of pre-made hot food ready to serve and then a chalk board of noodle and rice items that can be ordered. There are no descriptions of what goes into each listed dish so you would have to try each one to have any idea what you actually get. I was told that all of their noodle dishes use egg noodles. Great. So we tried three pre-made items with rice: a spicy barbecue stir-fry with simulated pork, a curry dish and a tofu veggie dish. All three items were horribly over-salted and nearly inedible. There were very few other spice notes that could be detected… perhaps the excessive salt overwhelmed whatever other seasonings were used. The curry and veggie dishes were scooped up by a server and dumped next to the rice, which was fine except that both scoops were mostly sauce with very little actual food. Thus, my plate of rice was swimming in sauce. I will give the Veggie Hut one more try after this bad experience fades a bit so I can be unbiased. Hopefully, I can amend this review!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 21, 2013

Pros: Fast and hot on a cold day
Cons: Over-salted, bland spices, Inadequate menu
TasNN
TasNN

Love it...

5 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2013

Veggie Hut makes me wish I worked in the city. All those 'bring my lunch to work' habits I've built up over the years would go straight out the window, but with delicious food like this I wouldn't mind one bit.

As things are, it can only make it on weekends - so it's my occasional Saturday treat.

I usually just order from the bain-marie. I'm not usually a precook fan, but the food here turns over pretty quickly, so it's mostly pretty fresh anyway. I've always been tempted to order off the menu, but haven't yet.

Good, quick service. Consistently great food. Give it a go!

Pros: Great food, Efficient service, Very clean

aimeebound
aimeebound

Tasty and Quick

5 Posted on 05 / 23 / 2012

Thai Veggie Hutt has very quick service, and always a great range for lunch (bain marie), as well as on the menu. All bain marie items are vegan, and lots are glute-free too!

Great range, everything I've had from here has been absolutely scrummy. Especially the Green Curry!

Highly recommended :)

Pros: excellent food, good value, great range
athoma13
athoma13

Has to be the best

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2012

I can't believe things taste that good. It is so nice to have a restaurant dedicated to vegetarianism. Bring carnivores there, even they will be impressed! Can't wait to go back

AdrianaBellemans
AdrianaBellemans

Love this restaurant

4 Posted on 01 / 31 / 2012

I eat here any time I am in the city. Love their selections of food & if want something in a hurry I really enjoy their skewers.

Pros: yummy food, friendly
Cons: not always as hot as could be
imo
imo

My New Favourite Take-Out

4 Posted on 12 / 13 / 2010

Gotta say it, the food here is spot on and the staff are super nice, but the prices are just a little high when eating in (for a cheap student like myself). But I've had take-away a few times, and it's been great every time. The mock-meat would please any carnivorous friend but its the guilty pleasure of fatty noodles that I love (not everything on the menu is high fat but the pad thai certainly tastes as much- mmm yum).

Definitely my new favourite on the North Hobart strip. Recommend it to anyone.

Pros: Yummy AS, Fast & friendly service, Good for non-vego friends/family
Cons: Tiny bit pricey
whiskers
whiskers

Fantastic place, highly recommended

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

Bought food from here recently, more than once, absolutely excellent, was very impressed - extremely friendly staff, quick service and really, really good food. Almost everything on the menu is vegan, except for maybe one dish which is vegetarian. Would recommend this place to anyone! Will definitely be going back when i visit again

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff
Cons: none
moltres93
moltres93

Best. Ever.

5 Posted on 11 / 11 / 2010

I buy take-away from the Veggie Hutt about once a week. It's such an amazing place- wonderful service, lovely atmosphere and... the food.... They have some of the best tasting meat substitutes I've ever had. The great thing about it is that you can sit down and have a nice meal like in any restaraunt but they also have the take-away option for people who don't want to spend quite as much money. I love you, Veggie Hutt!

Pros: Great service, Nice atmosphere, Amazing food
kris3028
kris3028

Even impressed a meat eater

5 Posted on 04 / 13 / 2010

I love Shu Yuan and visit it often. Every time I organise to have lunch with my Mum she insists we go here which I surprising as she is a die hard meat eater and not likely to suggest a vegetarian cafe just to make things 'easier' for me. Some regular choices available (Vege BBQ highly recommended) but plenty of changing variety. Offer a Bain Marie selection, Yum Cha and Made to Order. They have also recently opened a sister restaurant in North Hobart called Thai Veggie Hut that I am yet to visit. The staff are extremely friendly also :)

Pros: Selection, Staff, All Veggie
Cons: Small Cafe, Limited seating
Mr Veggie
Mr Veggie

• raw

Simply lovely

5 Posted on 03 / 11 / 2010

I had a meal at a little vegetarian cafe in quite a picturesque lane called The Bank Arcade in Hobart a few weeks ago and I was very impressed by the aromatic, tasty meal I had. The service was friendly and courteous by the young Thai ladies who staff the place. Since that first visit since moving to Tasmania I have been back numerous times and have become quite addicted to vegetarian Thai food on offer. Simply lovely....you have won me.

Pros: variety of food, fast friendly service, location
VeJo
VeJo

A pleasant place to eat

3 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2010

We went for lunch at the Thai Veggie Hutt twice when we were staying in Hobart. The first time we got entrées. The spring rolls, which are kept in a bain marie, really let them down. They were cold and oily. The made-to-order meals, on the other hand, were a pleasant surprise -- the crispy gluten with thai sauce (peanut), and basil chilli 'chicken' were both great. The sticky rice and mango dessert was also very nice.

Pros: inexpensive, nice food, good service
Cons: don't try the food in the bain marie
Onyx
Onyx

Cute little find!

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2010

Have visited a couple of times and was very impressed with presentation and the friendly fast service. Tasty food and wide variety for vegans as majority of the menu is vegan. My meat eating partner even enjoyed it!

Pros: Wide variety for vegans, Friendly fast service
Cons: Small place
veganik
veganik

I'm not sure how vegan they are...

2 Posted on 11 / 06 / 2009

When they first opened, one of the staff members was helpful with letting me know what dishes had egg in them.

They have since begun displaying all that cultlike 'be green, go veg' propaganda, and have told me that everything is vegan. A week after they said that, they had a picture of a weekly special dish, which involved a fried egg!

They also claim to have no added MSG, but I think there is MSG in the fake meat that they buy to cook up, so that's a bit deceptive.

There are no soy-free dishes, and they don't say anything about using organic ingredients, so it could be GM soy.

Eating here makes me feel unhealthy, so sadly I don't buy food from this all-veg cafe anymore, and end up walking past here and buying the one vegan sushi roll on offer at the sushi shop across the hall when I want fast food.

Pros: fast
Cons: unclear about what is actualy vegan, No soy-free dishes, Dishonest and/or disrespectful staff
vegan_simon
vegan_simon

healthy & happy

5 Posted on 03 / 27 / 2009

Their business card says it all really: "Hobart's own Thai/Asian style vegetarian cuisine for a healthy lifestyle and happy heart."

Shu Yuan's located in shops 5 & 7 in the charming 'Art Deco' Bank Arcade, running from 68/70 Liverpool Street to Wellington Square/Collins Street, in the block between Elizabeth Street Mall and Argyle Street.

They offer eat-in or takeaway food, plus catering for functions, meetings and special occasions. Open 10:30am-3:30pm, Monday-Saturday.

I had 3 delicious dishes & noodles eat-in for $10.80. Choices included Thai Massaman Curry, Vege BBQ & Sesame, Vege Delight, Eggplant & Basil, and Mapo Tofu. Dishes on the board menu included pad thai, spicy hofan, Tom Yam, etc for about $11-13 each.

Like they say, "Go Veg! Go Green!"

Dear Owner and Manager of Thai Veggie Hutt- Shu Yuan: