Offers primarily Thai food such as pad thai, larb, satay, curry, and orange "chicken" with choice of tofu or faux meats. Also veg burgers, wraps, salads, and fries. Casual atmosphere. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, American, Thai, Asian, Take-out
5505 Osuna Rd NE (San Mateo)
Albuquerque, New Mexico 87108
505-884-4610

Open Mon-Fri 11am-2:30pm, 5-9pm, Sat 11am-9:30pm, Sun 5-9pm.

First Review by jlo5616

Great Vegan Food

4 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2014

It would be a 5 star if it was all organic, but the food is very good!

The fried tofu, spring rolls, and desert spring rolls are great- so is the Pad Thai...waiting for my cashew 'chicken' lunch combo now!! Here it is!

Pros: easy parking, friendly staff, good portions
Cons: a little pricey , no organic soy

The BEST Thai Food Anywhere!

5 Posted on 09 / 11 / 2013

Chef Pat makes the best Thai food. I've eaten Thai all over the world and this is the best. Don't miss this!!!

Pros: Delicious , Affordable, Good Portions

Vegan heaven!

4 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2013

When we opened the menu we all thought we had died and gone to vegan heaven! So many options and all things we could eat! The food was excellent! The service started out great but then in about 20 minutes time the place was full with only 2 waitstaff. They were doing their best but it took a while to order dessert and get our check. I would suggest going for an early dinner if you're going for dinner

Pros: A lot of options, Yummy food
Cons: Need more staff at peak hours

It's vegan

2 Posted on 12 / 10 / 2012

I keep on going back here like beat up spouse crawling back because you think that's the only option here.
I just bought 2 dishes of the garlic beef. They always screw it up. This was just bad. It was as if they took the amount of soy beef for 1 dish and split it up for 2 dishes. It was like a snack. So they messed up the dish, and there wasn't even substance with it. I got a box full of everything I requested not to be in it. I'm done with this place. No more. Never again.
I've been here about a dozen times or more. I just felt as though I should support vegan restaurants. I am happy it seems most people do like this restaurant. But after my last time there, I decided it's just not for me. I spent a little over $20 on just me for take out. I emphasized no mushrooms. This is because every time they keep on putting mushrooms when I ask them not to. Sure enough my dishes had mushrooms. So after eating my dishes at my shop I was still hungry. The del taco bean burrito was more satisfying then any dish I've got from here. I know it sounds mean but I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way. We just don't want a vegan restaurant to go away. But I still do not have a good vegan restaurant here. I look forward to anytime I go to LA, Phoenix, or Denver, just to eat good vegan food.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 22, 2011

Pros: vegan
Cons: taste, cost, quality

Thai Vegan is tasty every time

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2012

I've been eating at Thai Vegan at least once a week since May 2012. The food has been consistently high quality. It's my favorite restaurant in Albuquerque.

Pros: tasty food, lots of protein variety , great staff
Cons: none

Unbelievable Thai Food

5 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2012

After reading reviews on line I just had to dine at Vegan Thai of ABQ. I was not disappointed. I have eaten thai food at many places in the US and this was hands down the best thai food I have ever eaten. After consulting the server about which Tom Yum was her favorite, I order the Seafood Tom Yum (which serves two easilty) and was not disappointed. The range of flavors (which was only enhanced the next day as I finished it for breakfast) was incredible. For my main course I ordered my all-time favorite pad thai with tofu and was impressed. It too was excellent - not greasy, full of flavor and a generous portion. The next time I am in ABQ I will visit again. The servers were attentive and the meal was served in a timely fashion. 5 stars for Thai Vegan.

Pros: excellent food, reasonable prices, great service

Delicious and beautiful

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2012

I had the Thai ice tea, pineapple fried rice with pepper "steak," and the banana chocolate chip rolls. The fried rice was gorgeously presented, delicious, and there was more than enough to fill me. It was the first time that I had ever tried Thai iced tea, and I really enjoyed it. The banana chocolate chips rolls were good, but I'm not sure if they're worth the extra calories....still, I finished 'em off ;) I would definitely come here again! There is so much on the menu I would love to try! If I lived here, I would be a regular! The seating area was small, but I ate at 6:30 and there were only 2-3 other couples. There was more than enough seating for me. My ticket came up to about $15 for the entree, tea, and dessert.

Pros: Extensive Menu, Inexpensive, Yummy
Cons: limited seating

Excellent Vegan Restaurant

5 Posted on 06 / 15 / 2012

This is the best vegetarian/vegan restaurant I've patronized. The quality and flavor of the dishes is excellent. The restaurant was quite busy when I arrived, but still my order came out very quickly. The servers were friendly and the prices were reasonable. Although the location is something to be desired, there is no trouble finding parking. I highly recommend going to Thai Vegan when you are in Albuquerque.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, resonable prices

Great food - absolutely delicious

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2012

Everything about this restaurant was absolutely wonderful! We tried the yellow curry, mushroom "steak", and spicy noodles, and all were delicious. We also tried the Green Power Salad and the Banana Chocolate Chip Rolls, and everything was perfect. The service was also great - I absolutely recommend this restaurant!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff

Top notch vegan restaurant

5 Posted on 01 / 25 / 2012

Thai Vegan is what all vegan restaurants should be about. It has a full varied menu, generous portions, clean and cozy atmosphere, appropriate prices and great food. Its a small place; located at the end of a strip mall. It seats 42 in a rather small area, but yet it doesn't give you a crowded-in feeling. The food is well presented and service is quick and friendly. There are both mens and ladies rooms, which are large, clean and well stocked. The evening I was there, a group was celebrating a birthday in their party, and the chef/owner, Pat Phomnoi, came out of the kitchen, still wearing his tall chef's hat, turned the t.v. to a karaoke birthday song, and sang a snappy rendition of the song. What fun! The next day I went there at lunch time and ordered a wrap to take to the airport, which they were very accommodating by not putting it in aluminum so I could get it through security easily. This is the restaurant I'll be stopping at anytime I'm in Albuquerque.

Pros: great food, large portions, friendly service

Delicious

5 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2012

Their Thai food is outstanding as well as their Thai iced tea. This place adds to the long list of locally owned restaurants that make our city great.

Pros: Vegan, Healthy, Friendly

THE BEST!!!

5 Posted on 11 / 14 / 2011

This is the best Thai food I have ever had and the entire menu is vegan. The staff is caring and fun and the atmosphere is sooo peaceful. The papaya salad and the green curry are to live for.

Updated from previous review on Sunday April 17, 2011

Pros: food, all vegan, staff
  • JC JC

Pat the owner "got it" and removed the fish tank!!!

Great food - worth repeat visits!

5 Posted on 09 / 17 / 2011

I stopped by on a Friday afternoon around 1:30pm. The restaurant was nicely busy, with just a few vacant tables. Service was friendly and professional. In addition to the bowl of curry, there were two small "egg" rolls, a green salad and a side of brown rice. A Thai iced tea complimented the meal nicely. My check, with tip, ran around $10, which seemed entirely reasonable for the amount of food and a bargain for the quality. The chef passed through the small dining area and received my very grateful compliments with genuine warmth. I will definitely return for more soon, and can even see my non-vegan friends enjoying the wide array of choices on the menu.
Updated from previous review on Saturday September 17, 2011

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff
Cons: small space, limited w/c access

Reasonably priced vegan food

4 Posted on 06 / 11 / 2011

I've been here several times now and have enjoyed some dishes, but not others. The Fresh Ginger dish I ordered last night was quite salty and I've heard that of the Papaya Salad from another guest. Overall the restaurant is a good choice because you can trust them. The service is very friendly and the prices for the portion sizes are just right. In fact the lunch combinations are quite a deal... main dish, steamed brown rice, spring roll and salad for one reasonable price. We have enjoyed the Cashew Nuts (a bit peppery) and the P.E.T. (pumpkin, eggplant, tofu). The currys are very good too. But the best dish, so far that I have tried, is the Freshy Rolls listed under Appetizers. I have yet to find my "go to" hot dish but for now the Freshy Rolls are my first choice as a meal.
The menu is huge! This is a really popular place. I'll keep trying.

Pros: excellent service, reasaonable prices, good portions
Cons: small dining room, closed weekdays 2:30-5:00PM, no lunch on Sunday

Pretty good place

5 Posted on 06 / 02 / 2011

I was actually beginning to think Albuquerque had no good, non-chain restaurants until we decided to come here. The food is CHEAP and good. The waiter was very nice and it was great service. I'm not sure what menu we were looking at but it didn't seem like their was many options but what we had was very good. I would definitely come here again and would recommend checking it out as well.

Pros: Friendly staff, fast service, good food

This will be your new favorite

5 Posted on 04 / 17 / 2011

Hands down our favorite vegan choice, the chef here greets and spoils us with amazing, almost impossible to believe choices. Everything is fresh, creative and BAM! seasoned to thrill. We could eat here every day and never get bored. We always begin with (soy) Chicken Satay, and then usually Karla has one of the many curry choices, and I love the cashew stir fry. http://www.karlalinden.com/Albuquerque-Vegetarian.html

YummY* at thai WEGAN

5 Posted on 01 / 23 / 2011

THe owner Pat works hard at what he does, puts out excellent food, a pleasant atmosphere.

i want to eat in establishments where the staff are also vegan.
it ruins the atmosphere, when the staff are not vegan.

for that 4.9 stars but it still rounds up for a perfect review.

Pros: taste, taste, good portions
Cons: more organic , MoRE RaW, i want vegan staff where i eat.

A MUST TASTE~~

5 Posted on 01 / 05 / 2011

Thai Vegan is a wonderful experience for Vegan's looking for a balanced, tasty, dining experience. I LOVE IT, You try it!!!

Pros: Tasty Food, Good Value, Friendly

Excellent Thai Food

5 Posted on 12 / 12 / 2010

Thai Vegan's food is excellently prepared. As good as any Thai restaurant at which I have eaten in ABQ and I don't have to worry about fish or oyster sauce. Friendly staff.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Pleasant atmosphere

Amazing!

5 Posted on 12 / 09 / 2010

The food here is outstanding! My meat eater friends came with me on our trip out to NM and we got 4 apps and 4 entrees and everything was perfection. GET THE TEMPURA!!!

Pros: Tempura, Fast Service, Cozy atmosphere
Cons: Could use some more rice/noodle dishes, Styrophome take-away containers, It's not in my state!

Fabulous

5 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2010

This is an amazing restaurant. we ordered off the lunch menu and were very satisfied. The ability to have iced thai coffee and iced thai tea was delightful. the service was wonderful. If I every go back to New Mexico, this will be my frist stop

Pros: vegan, service, taste

My New Favorite Restaurant in the World, Too.

5 Posted on 10 / 21 / 2010

Thai Vegan is absolutely the most amazing Thai food restaurant I have ever experienced (and I could leave the word 'Thai' out of that statement and it would just about still be true too. It is so good simply because of the profound and deep beauty of the family and people of the restaurant. It's an honor just to have them feed you.

Pros: 100% Vegan Menu, Wonderfully Kind People

I have a new FAVORITE restaurant!!

5 Posted on 10 / 07 / 2010

The selections are so enticing, that it is very difficult to choose. Excellent food! The best part is that I don't have to ask anyone if it contains animal products or byproducts!

Pros: Food is fabulous, Great staff

Awesome Restaurant

5 Posted on 09 / 20 / 2010

I totally recommend this restaurant :) The food was amazing, the service excellent and the prices were reasonable. It doesn't get better than that!!!

Thoroughly delectable

5 Posted on 08 / 09 / 2010

My wife and I are recent transplants to ABQ and have found ourselves profoundly disappointed in the vegan/vegetarian restaurants in the area - until now!!! While not my primary agenda to begrudge other local establishments, but the truth is that most were verifiably inedible (at worst) or a waste of time and money (at best). Thai Vegan is a resounding exception in this otherwise precarious landscape (this said, my wife and I are enamoured and grateful for all the local grocers in the area which almost make up for the sparse restaurant scene).

Specially to Thai Vegan, first, the menu is loaded with vegan alternatives to a wealth of traditional and neo-traditional Thai and Asian plates. Also, there are vegan interpretations of western dishes for those either not in the mood for Asian or not so daring.

The food was rich without being overbearing and robust with nuanced flavors. Food presentation was aesthetically pleasing without being pretentious and distracting. The portion sizes were deceptively large and we left extremely satiated.

The atmosphere was modest and understated, yet very pleasing and clean. (Note, if I dig for but one criticism of Thai Vegan it would the location in a rather hollow strip-mall-like complex. I do think that the restauranteurs did the best that one could with such a space, but a restaurant of this quality should probably be located in a more accessible and interesting area. This said, while I want lots of traffic at this restaurant (to ensure that it remains open and viable for a long time), that can be a double-edged sword (e.g., attention to detail, wait-time; all of which are perfect in their current form)

The owner and staff were incredibly kind and very interested in our experience of the food (i.e., each walked over and had more than a casual conversation).

Overall I cannot recommend Thai Vegan highly enough. My wife and I have been to a number of vegan/vegetarian restaurants in various parts of the country and this place is competitive with many of the tops of our respective lists.

• the_bummer the_bummer

Beautiful review! And 100% accurate!

Thai Vegan ROCKS!

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

Today I had my 6th meal in 7 days over at Thai Vegan - to say it is a new favorite is an understatement! Everyone I take there enjoys it (almost) as much as I do, and I've taken vegetarians, vegans, and omnivores as guests. The food is excellent, the dining room is lovely, the place is clean, and the chef is a beautiful spirit.

Pros: Vegan, Thai, fresh
Guest
Guest

Best Restaurant in ABQ!

5 Posted on 08 / 01 / 2010

This place just opened this past Monday and we were ECSTATIC to see that they were serving up all the best mock 'meats'! I highly recommend the Yellow Curry (extra spicy), the Orange 'Chicken', and the Ginger w/special Chef Sauce with 'chicken' nuggets. For dessert you MUST try the chocolate chip/banana rolls!

A high-class atmosphere but with reasonable prices and the owners and staff are some the most friendly we have ever encountered!

This place is fantastic! Our new family favorite restaurant! We've been in ABQ for 13 years and this place gets our vote for the best restaurant in Albuquerque ever!

AMAZING!!! Best vegan Pad Thai around!!!

5 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2010

Why hasn't anyone else reviewed Thai Vegan?!?! This place is absolutely AMAZING! We were traveling NY to AZ and stopped in Albuquerque quite hungry. We called at 8:50pm and asked how late they were open, and they said 9pm but that they would stay open later just for us! We got there and the staff - I am pretty sure all family - greeted us and were sooooo friendly. They even gave us a complimentary appetizer! The restaurant was a decent size, very clean and had a great feel. The menu was huge with a range of asian (thai, chinese, japanese) dishes, american (veggie burgers, chicken nuggets, salads), and unique dishes. We tried the Pad Thai and the Yellow Curry dinner specials, which came with rice, salad, and two spring rolls. Each plate was beautifully presented with spirals of carrots and the rice in a heart shape. The Pad Thai was THE BEST Pad Thai I have EVER had!!! The Yellow Curry was equally as delicious. We NEVER clean our plates but we did here despite the generous portions! Vegan, vegetarian, or just a lover of real good food, you MUST go to Thai Vegan!!!

Pros: Large menu, Authentic dishes, Exceptional service
Cons: Only in Albuquerque! :-(

Dear Owner and Manager of Thai Vegan: