Thai Teak - Thai Vegan

Also known as Thai Teak, a tiny vegan cafe opened Apr 2011. Cooks vegan food but sells packaged snacks that are not vegan. Primarily takeaway with a few wooden tables and tall stools for seating. Most dishes offered with tofu or mock meat for extra charge. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-Friendly,Thai, Fast food,Take-out, Delivery

Inventor
Inventor

Very Good

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Great Food, Great service and nice location! Perfect for if you are hurried and want some awesome vegan Thai food.

Pros: Food, Service , Location
Cons: none
Daniel Romero
Daniel Romero

Nice thai place near the beach

Posted on 05 / 26 / 2014

Awesome. Go there if you are in the mood for thai. You will not believe its vegan.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 26, 2014

Pros: Great food, Great ambiance, Nice staff
Cons: Limited seating for large groups
emileistheman
emileistheman

Good food, good price, great location.

Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

My boyfriend and I absolutely loved this place! I loved the location especially, with its half-outdoor seating. I had the vegetable dumplings, and was extremely pleased.

Pros: Nice Vibe, Good Prices

Chia
Chia

Vegan Thai Food on Main Street

Posted on 09 / 08 / 2013

I saw this place on happycow when it first opened a few years back. Have eaten here many times, was here again in September 2013. Here's my Thai Vegan review.

I've come by for lunch, snack, and dinner. The menu is the same all day long (opens til late). My family and I have tried several different dishes together. Cheap prices, ranging from $5.50 to $8 per dish without extras like adding faux meat. Rice is also extra charge. The prices used to slightly cheaper but were raised in late spring this year.

The place is a tiny takeout place that makes vegan Thai food. It's mostly set up for takeaway, though there are a few stools plus a few wooden tables for eating in. You order, pay, and pick up your food at the service window.

We've tried: green tofu vegetable curry (salty), massamam tofu curry (sweet and tasty), tom kha tofu soup (tangy and slightly spice, yummy), steamed dumpling (good), papaya salad (fresh and delicious), pad thai, and fried rice (very good).

Overall the flavors were pretty good. I've enjoyed all the dishes except for the green curry one time when it was too salty but not spicy enough. I especially liked the tom yum soup, better than most of the other Thai restaurants I've tried in the greater LA area.

There is a lot of tofu on the menu, and you can get a mock meat option in your dish for $2 extra. If you don't like so much tofu, be sure to ask for "just more veggies / no tofu."

A convenient, quick, and cheap bite for when you are out at the Santa Monica Main Street beach area.

Pros: good fried rice, papaya salad
Cons: non-veg owned
LindaSteel
LindaSteel

Not pricey and really good food

Posted on 11 / 22 / 2012

Perfect for take away.

vtraveller
vtraveller
+1927

Decent prices, good food

Posted on 09 / 25 / 2012

For Main St I doubt you can beat the prices they offer. I think there's nothing over $9 on the menu. My only gripe is that they use tofu in almost everything. While you can swap it out for a charge, I'm not big on soy. I like their Som Tom (papaya salad), and you can't go wrong with curries. Their freshy rolls are pretty good too. They expanded their seating area so you can actually eat there now.

Pros: Affordable, Good food
Cons: too much tofu
emilc
emilc

Yummy Thai that's vegan

Posted on 07 / 11 / 2012

One of the trickiest things about trying to eat vegan Thai food is that fish sauce can be found in many dishes, and eggs can be common, too. That's why Thai Vegan is such a blessing. You can enjoy fresh-tasting, delicious Thai food for a very reasonable price, right in Santa Monica. And they have Thai iced tea with soy milk, too! My favorites are the spicy fresh rolls, the papaya salad, and the 'soy noodles' (aka pad see ew). We eat here once every week or two. A neighborhood staple.

A few tips:
- Parking can be tricky. There is a lot right outside, but it's often full. Park behind in the municipal metered lot.
- Make sure they get your order right - I've had a few mix-ups before because they didn't hear something right
- Delivery can take a long time - best to phone in your order and pick up
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 11, 2012

Pros: Delicious, All vegan, Large selection
Cons: Parking
SynthVegan
SynthVegan

Thai Teak

Posted on 06 / 26 / 2012

Thai Teak is a small restaurant with limited seating, so it may be best to order take out from here. The food was super cheap and was decent for the price. While it wasn't the best Thai I've had, it was still pretty good nonetheless. We ordered spring rolls, yellow curry, and pineapple curry. The spring rolls were fresh and tasty and the sauce that came with them was OK. The curries were very watery but had good flavor. If I lived in the area I'd certainly go back. 3.5 cows

gr8vegan
gr8vegan

I'm a regular

Posted on 01 / 24 / 2012

Free parking, whole real food, inexpensive prices, what more could you ask for? This is the best deal on the west side for vegan eat. They make an amazing Thai Iced tea and always have impeccable produce. I usually get the spring rolls, steam veg and brown rice. They are extremely nice and its also a great spot for people watching across the street at Urth Cafe

Pros: inexpensive, thai iced tea, great vegetables
Cons: had a non vegan item for sale
kenvegan
kenvegan
+2015

Bargain priced / Tasty Thai food

Posted on 08 / 10 / 2011

I had been meaning to try this vegan Thai restaurant for quite a while, and being that I was in the area last night, I decided to try the place. Upon entering, I first noticed how clean and cozy the place looked. The restaurant is decorated with rustic wooden furniture and plenty of elegantly pruned plants. I walked up to the counter to order, and the prices written on a large board seemed very reasonable. I ordered a vegetable curry dish with tofu and brown rice, and paid an extra two dollars for soy shrimp. I sat down to eat on a wooden bench in front of small wooden table outside (this restaurant seems built much more for aesthetics than for comfort). For less than 10 dollars, I enjoyed a tasty vegan meal. The portions are not large, but seemed ample considering that I wasn't very hungry, but had I felt really hungry, the portions may have seemed a bit on the small side. I cannot say that the curry sauce was the best I have ever had, as I felt it could have been a bit thicker in consistency, but it was perfectly spiced. There was plenty of curry sauce to pour over my brown rice, and that was a fine finish to an overall delicious meal. If you are in Santa Monica and want a reasonably priced, tasty meal, then this is a great choice.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 10, 2011
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 10, 2011

Pros: Good value, healthy cuisine
Cons: Uncomfortable furniture, Smaller portions
antiochian-1971
antiochian-1971

Excellent Thai vegan food -- a bargain.

Posted on 07 / 27 / 2011

I echo all of the good comments in the other reviews. Fantastic, fresh Thai veg food. Every dish we've tried (satay, wraps, curry, Thom Kha, mint-noodle) was excellent. Prices are shockingly low. Veggies are cooked perfectly. Portion sizes are generous. Sauces are varied and excellent.
Their brown rice is exceptional. I only wish I lived nearby this restaurant.

After two visits, we were shaking our heads in happy amazement at the quality, variety, and price.

The ambiance in this tiny place is very simple, yet pleasant. The staff are friendly.

Free delivery within 3 miles!

Pros: Excellent preparation, Fresh, Excellent prices
Cons: Tiny little place, Little seating
miasto
miasto

Delicious Thai, Fast Delivery

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2011

Amazing, fresh thai food, even non-vegan friends love this place. Very quick delivery, nice staff. Their spicy veggie wrap roll is delicious so is their vegetable friend rice, and all their tofu curries. Their peanut sauce is also the best peanut sauce around. Highly recommend!

Pros: Fast Delivery/Pick-up, Delicious and Fresh
e37e
e37e

YUM

Posted on 07 / 02 / 2011

Awesome food, very good prices. Not the most comfortable place to sit down and eat but with a little rock n' roll it's all good, great for take out. Try the sweet rice with mango and the coconut cream soup. Actually, whatever you order will be good. And they are nice folks.

Pros: delicious , good value, nice fellows
Cons: not too comfortable for sitting down, shared restroom with other restaurants
michelec
michelec

Inexpensive and good

Posted on 05 / 16 / 2011

I stopped by on a Sunday at 2 pm with two friends, one vegetarian, one omnivore (I'm vegan). We all loved our food and the prices are great. I had what they call Soy Sauce Noodles (Pad See Ew in other places) and at $7 it was a great bargain. It had lots of vegetables which is great since it makes it healthier and lower calorie. One friend had the Panang (Red) Curry which he said was excellent. I took an order of this home for my husband who also liked it. His comment was that it was a nice level of spicy that built over time but didn't burn too much. The other friend had the spicy wrap ($5) which looked great and he liked it. The management cleverly created some seating (bar stools and small tables) but I wouldn't plan on getting comfortable and sitting for hours. This place is great for takeout or a quick bite while people-watching on Main Street out the big glass front window. The service was friendly and hospitable. One of the employees came to our table to ask us how things were and offer hot sauce for the wrap. They didn't mind when we arraned the bar stools so we could sit together.

Pros: Price, good food, friendly service
Cons: limited seating
rileygraemoore
rileygraemoore

Finally!

Posted on 05 / 11 / 2011

I've literally seen the sign "Vegan Thai - Coming Soon" for nearly a year and a half! And it is totally worth the wait!

SUPER CHEAP, VERY HAPPY AND FRIENDLY OWNERS

I've tried the Panang Curry and Pud Thai. Both Awesome quality for how cheap. Really!

Good Luck, Thai Vegan :)

Pros: Cheap, Friendly Owners, Tasty
Cons: Small, bar stool dining only
zaphod46
zaphod46

No Frills Vegan Thai Food

Posted on 04 / 28 / 2011

This place is small, there is no getting around that, but there is counter space for about 5 people if you want to "dine in" and takeout is available, of course.

The menu is simple, but accommodates lots of choices: pick your dish (curry, noodles, etc) then pick your protein. Went for lunch and got a dumpling special, soup, and a drink for $10. The vegetables in the soup were fresh, but I think the dumplings were previously frozen. All in all, a great source of cheap vegan food and a nice counter-point to Urth across the street.

Pros: quick, simple, cheap
Cons: small, limited menu

Dear Owner and Manager of Thai Teak - Thai Vegan: