Thai Pothong

Serves meat, veg options available. The Thai food menu includes an extensive vegan section. Large and busy restaurant with a Thai imports gift shop. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by VeJo
Lea
Lea

Veg UNfriendly and abusive

1 Posted on 01 / 08 / 2014

People should check very carefully about anything labelled as allegedly vegetarian in this place.

I was shocked to find this restaurant listed on this site as veg friendly, in view of my one and only experience of the place. It was one of the most veg UNfriendly places I have ever been to. The menu displayed outside listed a large number of veg dishes, so I decided to take my mixed veg-omni family here for a special occasion. On closer inspection once inside, the first supposedly veg item was vegetables stir fried with oyster sauce. Actual oyster sauce made from dead oysters. We asked what was in the other 'vegetarian' dishes. Every single one of them contained both chicken stock and oyster or fish sauce. They could not make any dishes without these, as the sauces were all pre-made. They said we could have fried rice without the meat, eggs and prawns.

This sounded pretty boring and non-special so we decided to go elsewhere. But we politely explained to the waiter that chicken stock and oyster/fish sauce are not vegetarian and should not be labelled as such on the menu. He proceeded to argue relentlessly with us that yes they were and that vegetarians come here all the time and eat these things.

I noticed that the place had a received an award from the Thai restaurant society. So I sent them an email the next day describing the problem. Well guess what, there is no such society. It is simply a fabricated entity which is actually this restaurant! No wonder it wins the best restaurant award every year! Five minutes after sending the email I got a phone call from the restaurant owner who abused me and repeated the same diatribe that we got on the night - that it is okay for vegetarians to eat chicken stock and fish sauce, that we all do so, and that the vegetarians who come to the restaurant all eat it as it is in everything.

If this place has in fact changed more recently, I acknowledge that has to be a good thing. But I would not trust anything they said or put on their menu. I will not be ever setting foot in the place. Their audacity in wanting to be listed on this site is further evidence of their wish to dupe vegetarians, as far as I can see.

Pros: None
Cons: Misinformation on menu, Unfriendly staff , Abusive owner
Gobbledock
Gobbledock

Excellent Thai that caters well for veges

4 Posted on 01 / 16 / 2013

I've been frequently Thai Pathong for years and have seen the vege menu consistently grow, and they now have an exclusive vegan menu. My personal fave is the mock duck salad and the tofu choo chee.

The service is excellent, and a good place to go if you're with meat-eaters who won't go to a vege resto.

PS. There is another Thai Pathong in Marrickville which doesn't have the same vego options unfortunately.

Pros: Thai, vegan options, service
VeJo
VeJo

Surprisingly extensive options

4 Posted on 11 / 26 / 2012

Thai Pothong have introduced a vegan menu, and you need to know to ask for a it. Once you do, it offers an extensive list of options, both entrées and mains. You can have a look on their website in advance (http://www.thaipothong.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Vegan-Menu1.pdf). The golden tamarind tofu was very special... and the tofu choo chee was good too.

This restaurant has a very good reputation in Sydney -- the service is fast and friendly, and they get a lot of people through. I've often gone there, before the introduction of the vegan menu, as my work colleagues love it there... but it's been slim pickings for vegans in the past. I don't know if there's a new chef, or they've simply caught onto the vibe on King Street... The vegans are taking over (mwahawhaw). A nice change from the usual choices in Newtown, and good to see a local business supporting vegans, even if they're not vegan.

Pros: Great food, Great service, Bustling but not rushed

Dear Owner and Manager of Thai Pothong: