Serves meat, veg options available. Thai food and French-infused Thai food restaurant, added a vegan menu since early 2010 as reported to happycow.net. Accommodating of special needs. Antique Thai decor. Previously from 277 Schuylkill Rd. Open for lunch and dinner. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by itskarma
s144799
s144799

Entire veg menu

4 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

Entire veg menu for this restaurant and very good mock foods.

Pros: Very good food, Veg menu
yogavegan
yogavegan

chicken is not vegan nor is ice cream

2 Posted on 04 / 30 / 2011

We went to Thai L'Elephant for my birthday dinner and I was excited because it appeared to have a vegan menu, and to be able to go to a place that offers vegan for me and non vegan for others, for a special event, is a big deal! The atmosphere is beautiful, friendly staff, cute rosette napkin folding. Large vegan menu.

Unfortunately, 3 bites into my vegan red curry, I found chicken parts. I sent it back. They brought a new one about 10 minutes after everyone else was finished eating, and I had a few bites, but really felt sick after the chicken discovery. To make up for it, they brought us a giant plate of ice cream, which I am sure was dairy ice cream. I won't go back, I am wary of their 'vegan' menu. Both of us that had vegan selections had stomach aches afterwards, which makes me believe that we both ingested something animal related. This was a huge disappointment, as I was very excited to have a local place to go to that has a vegan menu. We will not return.

Pros: friendly staff, no smoking, rosette napkins
Cons: chicken in vegan dish, i dont think they know what vegan is
  • itskarma itskarma

Same thing happened to me Oct 2008 (I'm the first poster in the review of this place). Haven't gone back since. I wish they would stop marketing their vegan menu because it really isn't vegan!

lindamink
lindamink

Delicious Tofu meal

3 Posted on 12 / 03 / 2010

As with any Thai restaurant you need to be very specific about how you want the food to be prepared if you are a vegan because Thais use Fish Sauce heavily as a seasoning in all of their meals pretty much. Thai L'Elephant is much more suited for a pesco-tarian because of their many varieties of fish meals. Thai L'elephant does have a delicious Tofu steak meal that I have had and will definitely have again. The meal is vegetarian and vegan and comes as what appears to be a large tofu block covered in a sauce. Upon closer inspection it is stuffed with mushrooms and sauce. Upon tasting it is really really good! I approve. Since I do eat fish occasionally I am pretty happy with their fish meals as well. They do accomodate as best they can to vegetarians, and the staff are very friendly and happy to help you out if you need it.

I prefer Thai Place for their Mock Duck curries as a meal for my real Thai fix for food. Thai L'elephant is more of a Thai fusion with French cuisine. We only come to Thai L'elephant on rare occasions, perhaps once a few months.

Pros: Vegatarian Selection, Friendly Staff, Willingness to modify menu
Cons: fish sauce

itskarma
itskarma

Kitchen not really vegan friendly

1 Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

Though they have a section of their menu labeled "vegan", everything that is deep fried gets deep fried in the same oil vats with meat. With that being said, I asked the kitchen to steam all the tofu for the two dishes I ordered instead of having fried tofu. The vegan curry dish I ordered had a piece of chicken in it that was placed at the bottom of the bowl. The vegan noodle dish had pieces of plastic in it. I will never go here again.

Pros: Wait staff is nice
Cons: Not really vegan friendly

Dear Owner and Manager of Thai L'Elephant: