REMOVED: Thai Essence

Serves meat, veg options available. Thai food with a tranquil setting located in a strip mall. All dishes spiced to your specificity. Salads, soups, curries, fried rice, white rice plates, noodle dishes. Menu has green leaf next to vegetarian dishes and indicates which dishes can be made vegetarian. Note that oyster sauce is used in most dishes, so vegans need to be careful. Removed for poor veg options. Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by happycowgirl
Crystal46614
Crystal46614

Nightmare: Not Veg Friendly,....

1 Posted on 04 / 28 / 2013

Nightmare. I am vegan by choice and have a serious seafood allergy. So when I order vegan, I don't generally have to worry about sneaky ingredients added. Be aware that the noodles (advertised as vegetarian) are actually cooked with chicken stock (per our waitress), the curry notes coconut milk but neglects to mention the half and half. The soups are the same. I ordered a vegetarian dish with rice and veggies, after explaining my severe food allergy to their head server. She came out after I had eaten about four bites and informed me it had oyster sauce (not vegan or vegetarian friendly). I had to force myself to expell the food, grab epi and panic. Very unpleasant. All due to lack of education. She mentioned that some vegetarians "don't mind a little". If you are truely vegetarian or vegan, or mind a little, I would be very careful. I am sincerely hoping they use my horrific experience as an opportunity to educate their staff and become informed. I quite literally could have died. My children were scared to death. I eat at my own risk, but I am always clear on my allergies. Shame on them for creating a false sense of security by sending out an experienced waitress who went through the menu with us. Never again.

Pros: Smelled good, ethnic people present as guests
Cons: Ingredients not listed, Animal ingredients in Veg dishes, Uneducated staff nearly killed me
Brew99
Brew99

Would Expect Better...

2 Posted on 03 / 29 / 2012

This is located in the Purdue Research Park, my old stomping ground. We got take-out the other day which consisted of a few entrees and a couple appetizers. Everything was tasty, nothing special though compared to all the other Thai restaurants in the area. We were discouraged though with the prices - they were much higher compared to the other Thai Restaurants in the area. Additionally, when we got home, we didn't get any rice with our entrees and the appetizers didn't even serve enough for two people. In fact, the Basil Roll was one roll cut up in pieces. (Normally Thai restaurants will give you 2-4 full rolls and not sliced up.) There are some great Asian restaurants in the area, I might suggest them instead.

Pros: Available, Tasty Sauces, Clean
Cons: Pricey , Quantities small, Off campus
happycowgirl
happycowgirl

Great Thai Food

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2010

I've had the Pad Thai, Pad See Ew, Gang Dang (red curry), and a mango cashew fried rice here. All dishes were outstanding. Their sauces are amazing and the dishes are spiced to perfection.

Very friendly staff. Easy parking right in front.

Dear Owner and Manager of REMOVED: Thai Essence: