CLOSED: Terrene

Serves meat, veg options available. Offers some vegetarian options. Reservations recommended. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by DaddyWoof
sultryq42
sultryq42

overall excellence

4 Posted on 03 / 04 / 2009

I came here with my fiance for a special occasion (read: we can't come here very often because it's expensive!)
The appetizer of flatbread with Match sausage was absolutely delicious. The drinks were great. Service was almost too attentive. We both ordered the tofu dish, which was a veggie stirfy with noodles and plum sauce. I ate all my tofu and didn't care for the rest because of the sauce. He felt the same way, so neither of us had much to eat for our main dish. therefore we had to have dessert!
He got the gooey chocolate cake, which was perfect. Not too sweet. It was certainly great for a real cocoa lover.
I had the bread pudding, which was terrific. The appetizer and dessert and everything else about the place made up for our main dish.
Presentation was great. Ingredients were fresh and high quality. Service was polite and helpful. We simply didn't like the flavor of our main dish and that's my only complaint.

Pros: desserts, sausage flatbread, service
Cons: expensive
jaml730
jaml730

Amazing food

4 Posted on 02 / 02 / 2009

My husband took me to Terrene for my birthday this year and I was thrilled since I've been wanting to go for a long time - and it did not disappoint!! They have several vegan appetizers (including flatbread with vegan sausage, baked olives with roasted garlic, and house made foccacia). They always have at least one veg entree and a dessert item. I ordered the tofu "big plate" and the tofu was grilled to perfection and served over rice noodles with asian veggies and plum sauce. This is one of the BEST meals I have ever gotten from a restaurant. I highly recommend trying Terrene if you have the chance. That said, it is a little expensive and the portions aren't huge but I would still eat there again and again!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Fresh, local focus on menu
Cons: Small space, Expensive, Small portions
bixo
bixo

Veg*n could get a meal while out with meat eaters.

2 Posted on 04 / 02 / 2008

The place looks nice. The customers looked interesting with lively conversations. The menu meaty part of the menu looked god but only had veg*n offerings of a veggie burger and some grilled tofu and veggies for $16. It just wasn't compelling for me to stay and try it, even though that night's meal was paid for by my employer. I would remember it as a place when eating with meaty people - I could get something other than a salad.

vegantraveler
vegantraveler

GREAT!!

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2007

Sorry, but the review below is wrong!!! Terrene switches the menu every couple weeks and they either have the tofu dish or the Seitan...both excellent!! Yes the price is high but the quality of food sure is worth it. Plus don't forget with our dollars we have a voice and by paying a little more for Local Organic Vegan Food we are creating the demand.

Pros: Veggie Burger, Vegan Flatbread Pizza, Fries:)
  • SynthVegan SynthVegan

vegantraveler: The waiter told me it was discontinued and further stated that they would never carry/serve it again. I did have him confirm this with the chef. The explanation I was given was that Seitan is a hassle for them to make - I didn't pry any further. Additionally, I have no problem paying more money for good Vegan and/or organic food; however, the Tofu dish was terrible and not worth what was charged. I was there with three other people too [who eat meat] and they also didn't think their food was worth the money.

SynthVegan
SynthVegan

It was better...

2 Posted on 10 / 15 / 2007

As a Vegan, when I found Terrene I was ecstatic, however, that has since changed following my last visit over this past weekend. The tofu on a stick is good, but I always went there specifically for the Seitan. To my [unpleasant] surprise, I was informed by the waiter that the Seitan dish had been discontinued. Consequently, I ordered the tofu dish and was not that impressed, especially for the price they were charging. I'm quite sure that I will not be dining here again.

Pros: Tofu on a stick, Free Valet Parking
Cons: Very Expensive!, Discontinued Seitan
magruff123
magruff123

amazing

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2007

This is by far the BEST restaurant to go to in St. Louis. Every veg. dish there is always great and they use local fresh produce. This is a perfect place to go for dates and small groups. The food is on the pricey side, but well worth the price.
make sure to make reservations.

Pros: Vegan Options, Fresh ingredients, Friendly Staff
Yell
Yell

I like it.

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2007

I've eaten here twice and I was not let down either time.

The tofu-on-a-stick and the corresponding cashew dipping sauce are A-M-A-Z-I-N-G.

This is the only fine-dining place I know of in St. Louis that caters to vegans so well. I've loved every dish I ordered here.

The price though....well, it's pricey.

Pros: GREAT food, Atmosphere, A+ service
Cons: Price, Parking
DaddyWoof
DaddyWoof

An Excellent Choice For Vegetarians

4 Posted on 10 / 29 / 2006

Finally, vegetarian dining in a wonderful atmosphere. There are always vegetarian dishes on the menu, and the restaurant clearly cares about vegetarians. We like this restaurant so much that we give Terrene gift certificates as presents.

Pros: Excellent food, outdoor dining, comfy atmosphere
Cons: noisy, parking

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Terrene: