Terre a Terre

Contemporary vegetarian food cuisine incorporating multi-ethnic tastes and cooking techniques. A la carte menu, children's menu, afternoon teas, organic wine, sweets. Also sells cookbook and some produce. Non-smoking. Reservations necessary on weekends. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Egnlish, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Catering, Take-out
71 East Street
Brighton, England BN1 1HQ
01273-729051

Open Tue-Fri 12-10.30pm, Sat 11am-11pm, Sun 11am-10pm.

First Review by Stevie
asharpknife
asharpknife

So good! Perfect for a special occasion.

5 Posted on 07 / 02 / 2014

Have eaten here for my birthday this year and last, and not even been in Brighton in between, but when me and my partner walked through the door, the waiter actually recognised my face, and remembered that I was vegan! Whaaat! Unless he's just super cheeky and made a lucky guess :)I mean I recognised him too, but presumably he sees a couple of hundred new faces every week working there! When I mentioned that I was returning for a birthday dinner since I loved it so much last year, he must have tipped off the pastry chefs, because my Churros (god I love those churros) arrived with a 'happy birthday' piped onto the plate in melted chocolate, and a candle! Brought a tear to my eye, so nice!

The food as always was gorgeous, I'm glad we went for Terre a Tapas for our starter, it may seem expensive at £20 (it serves two) but it's actually HUGE and contained some incredible stuff, including a butterbean 'cassoulet', which was dusted with something incredibly smoky and yummy...I was swooning.

Well done Terre a Terre!

Also. Cocktails. Get them. You will not be sorry, I've tried most of them by now and they're all fabulous.

Pros: Service, Cocktails, Creative menu
Cons: Could have more vegan options ;)
cakeandcounselling
cakeandcounselling

A must if you're in Brighton

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2014

I'm vegan and my partner eats meat but we both agree this is our favourite restaurant of all time. If I want to impress people I always bring them to this place; about a year ago we bought a couple of our friends here from France, when it comes to food and wine they have very high standards. They loved both the food AND the wine at Terre a Terre and still talk about it to this day! It's pricey, but if you're travelling by train it's included in the Southern Rail 2 for 1 offer booklet.

Pros: Extensive and creative menu, Helpful and knowledgeable staff, Totally unique
veggiesausage
veggiesausage

Still the best.

5 Posted on 01 / 19 / 2014

Been coming here for years, they constantly innovate creating the best fresh menus for veggies & vegans alike. Puds are worth a visit alone.

Pros: Great service, Good for vegans, Best puds around.
Cons: none
jgbillingham
jgbillingham

The best Yet

5 Posted on 01 / 18 / 2014

I am a vegan, here with a couple of omni. friends. they thoroughly enjoyed it and there were enough stimulating vegan options on the menu for me. Worth a special visit to Brighton

Pros: Quality, Service, Friendly
Cons: Price
Rosa and Joe
Rosa and Joe

Brilliant!

5 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2013

We went a couple of months ago and only just getting around to writing this. It is expensive, certainly a very occasional treat, but it's not over-priced for what it is - the quality is great.

Best things - peeking buns; corn cakes with chilli candy; rosti revisited; cherry chocolate churros. Rosti Revisited is the best dish we've had anywhere all year.

Two things that need improvement for vegans:
- very few vegan dishes
- plenty of vegan-option dishes, which is great, and they really are good options - but the menu should give some idea of what they are going to be. It turns out they usually substitute tofu for cheese, which is great, but would be good to know this when choosing - felt we had to basically get the waiter to explain the whole menu and then try to choose based on memory. (I know this sounds picky, but it does make it hard to choose).

Also, it does seem the place is a bit hit-and-miss (we've only been twice - the first time was good but not great). But this year's visit was stunningly amazing.

Pros: Special food, Rosti revisited, Very friendly
Cons: Vegan options unclear

paperbagblog
paperbagblog

A must try!

5 Posted on 09 / 22 / 2013

My favourite restaurant in the UK - the food is incredible, the staff are friendly and helpful, and even though the food and prices are pretty much top-end, the restaurant has a relaxed and warm atmosphere. I love ordering the Terre a Tapas to start and you HAVE to get the churros to finish with. There are a couple of great special deals for both lunchtime and evening service, but I prefer to order off the main menu. The wine is wonderful.

Pros: Incredible food., Lovely service., Get the churros!
Cons: Can be pricey but absolutely worth it., Could be a few more vegan options.
gen6
gen6

Could be better...

2 Posted on 09 / 19 / 2013

The vegan selection is rather hit and miss (mainly miss). Wasn't that impressed at all. The atmosphere felt flat because of the size and number of (empty) tables through various times of the day. There is no vegan option for afternoon tea (go to Food for Friends instead for a lovely afternoon spiced apple vegan cake)

AnnemariekeDeWind
AnnemariekeDeWind

Delicious and creative

5 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2013

The best vegetarian food I ever had. Beautiful presentation and surprising ingredients. Somewhat pricey, but well worth it. It's not very cosy, decoration quite cold and modern, but friendly staff. The food is heaven for veggies!

Pros: quality, creativity
Cons: ambiance, price
alimac
alimac

A little expensive but well worth it!

4 Posted on 05 / 27 / 2013

All food should be presented like this, the food almost looks too good to eat! Everything is made and presented with care and attention, there is a huge menu and it is so delicious. Vegan options are clearly labelled, as are "vegan-iseable" options. All food is vegetarian. An absolute treat.

Pros: huge menu, amazing presentation, friendly, knowledgeable staff
Cons: a little expensive for everyday!
fuz1987
fuz1987

The best in Brighton

5 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2013

Terre a Terre is easily the best vegetarian restaurant in Brighton. The food is excellent with many vegan options available. The staff are friendly, provide good service and are very knowledgeable. However because a lot of people know this it is usually very busy. Pre-booking is a must at almost any time of day even though they have a large amount of seating. Also because it is so good this is reflected in the price. We only go here when we have something to celebrate and have sold a kidney so we can afford it.

We have gone here with omnivores too and to quote one "If all Vegan food was this good I would convert straight away".

They cater for groups of most sizes but this is probably not a great place to take children as it is quite up-market. I would recommend Terre a Terre for anyone wanting to celebrate, in need of a romantic location or just looking for top-quality vegetarian food.

Pros: High quality food, Staff Service, Atmosphere
Cons: Expensive, Too busy, too often, Can verge on snobby
Brighton201
Brighton201

Expensive, pretentious but very good!

5 Posted on 07 / 04 / 2012

This was perfect for a romantic dinner with my girlfriend. I would not pay this much for every meal out!

The menu is very flowery in its descriptions, no it is actually pretentious. But all that is forgiven once you have your food, it is AMAZING!

The staff were helpful, attentive and friendly. Well done Terre a Terre!

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Atmosphere
beenie
beenie

Amazeballs

5 Posted on 05 / 13 / 2012

Loved this place on our visit to Brighton. Seemed really busy so good idea to reserve a table. Impossible to imagine your dish by the description on the menu but holy happy cow everything was delicious :) and really well presented. The staff were really helpfull and friendly and the place itself is really nice and comfortable.

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere, freindly staff
Cons: need to book your table(if thats a con?)
kennyp353
kennyp353

Sometimes exceptional, always pretty good

5 Posted on 05 / 08 / 2012

Last night was exceptional - see my photos - the Cheddar Gorge was the best-presented meal I have ever eaten. My visit four months prior was the worst I'd ever had there - which was still OK, just not worth the money - and I feared they'd finally lost it. But not so - yesterday was probably the best visit there ever, with a new menu removing some of the more outrageous cons such as the olives and seeds and nuts for £12 (though the cocktails are still expensive and relentlessly disappointing - they could do with a cocktail coach). I've been perhaps 20 times over the years, since the days when they sold chips arranged like the game of Jenga in the branch around the corner, and it's a highlight of a trip to Brighton. The tapas starter is usually excellent, bear in mind it often contains portions of the main courses on the menu so you might end up repeating yourself, but that's OK. And the new chocoholic dessert was frankly unbelievable. You really could have it to yourself, for £12 - but sharing was fine too. Perhaps order an extra portion of the chocolate and hazelnut tart with salt caramel glaze - it was so good that upon hitting my tongue I did for the first time in memory let out an involuntary squeal.

Pros: chocolate hazelnut salt caramel tart OMG, wasabi cashews, tapas sharing starter
Cons: disappointing overpriced cocktails, service friendly but often inattentive, it's not in London
lwe2405
lwe2405

creative food

4 Posted on 03 / 25 / 2012

the veggie food here is truly some of the best i've ever had. the meals are all complex and mix together a variety of flavours, that all come together perfectly. cannot fault the flavour of the food in any way.

decor slightly lacking in imagination. bland and uninspiring. don't think this place attracts much spontaneous trade.

also, beware of the stingy portions of dip!! it's delicious but they don't give enough!

Pros: delicious food, friendly and knowledgable staff, unusual flavour combinations
Cons: decor, lack of dip
corinal
corinal

One of the best restaurants in the world

5 Posted on 11 / 25 / 2011

I make an annual trip to Brighton pretty much just to have dinner at Terre a Terre. Absolutely amazing food, wonderful service, and beautiful atmosphere. Their homemade ice cream is so delicate and flavorful, and their cherry chocolate dessert is wonderful too. And I always order their arepas. Now they also are part of StreetSmart so I can donate to a good cause at the end of the meal.

Pros: Amazing food, Excellent service, Beautiful atmosphere
Cons: They only exist in Brighton
lovintheveg
lovintheveg

Lovely veg food

5 Posted on 10 / 14 / 2010

Brighton is such a lovely place and eating here just added to it. I highly recommend it to visiting vegetarians. It's a bit "different" but you won't be disappointed.

Pros: good food
Erdbeere
Erdbeere

Too expensive

3 Posted on 10 / 04 / 2010

I went there at the first day of my holidays. I paid a lot of money for something that was very lovely decorated but didnt made full.But it was something special, not like food you eat every day.

Pros: special, lovely decorated
Cons: expensive(!!)
Cara Cara
Cara Cara

Excellent place

5 Posted on 09 / 24 / 2010

The staff were really lovely and helpful and the food great. Everything was great - I highly recommend it.

Pros: yum, lovely staff, pleasant space
Gothic Princess
Gothic Princess

Good food as always, shame about the staff

3 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2010

I'm a regular visitor to Terre. Food is always great. Ok they don't change the favourites on the menu very often hut as it's soo good I don't mind. However last visit their device was bizarre - bordering on the Fawlty Towers school of service. Basil would be proud! We have previously ordered a Terre tapas for three ( normally served for two) and got a portion three could share. So we asked for this again but only a portion for two came up with three plates. No problem we thought as the server was friendly so we called them over and explained. This was where it went surreal. We were told by several members of staff who all saw it fit to come and strongly and very rudely tell us that they had never ever served it for three and could we tell them who it was as they got their job wrong and words were needed! I've never ever had any restaurant before (a) refuse to do a bigger sharing plate for extra cost and (b) tell us off for asking for it!!! At Terre the customer is not always right! They had no idea we were regulars. If we weren't it was so bad it would have put us off. Firstly we can't understand their strong and rude objections as we made it clear we expected to pay more for the extra, secondly they could have put portions for three on the plate ( yes it would fit), thirdly they did not need to be so rude or send so many staff members to come and tell us off! Now we are not wallflowers so we told them they wee being silly and we wanted to pay extra for any extra portions for the third person that they could provide. To their credit they did then give a few more nibbles for free but after being told off by three different members of staff ( and they were very loud about it) it was the least they could do. We saw the funny side but other dinners may not have done. Perhaps the answer lies in the fact that every table had a reward offered for anyone who recommended a chef. There clearly is trouble in the kitchen which means they can't load a plate with a three person portion or here's a radical idea - put the third person's portion on a smaller separate plate. As for charging for it just charge half of what you charge for two - you guys did it before with no problem!! It won't stop us going back but beware if you complain at Terre over something reasonable expect a comedy sketch response! Can't wait
to order the tapas to share for three again! ;0)

Pros: Great food
Cons: Staff rude and shouty, Chairs are uncomfortable, Very slow service
  • kennyp353 kennyp353

"I'm a regular visitor to Terre."
    "Food is always great."
    "Can't wait to order the tapas to share for three again!"
    And you write this enormous review and give it only three stars because they wouldn't make something not on the menu? Really?

Anita Phillips
Anita Phillips

Great food, good value

5 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2010

I had lunch here with an omnivore friend. We sat at the back of the restaurant, on the outside patio, surrounded by plants which was just delightful. I have a copy of the Terre a Terre cookbook, and had been looking forward to my visit for AGES. I was totally happily surprised with how wonderful this place is. Yes the menu is very descriptive, and my friend (who unlike me does not read cookbooks like novels) did ask about a few of the ingredients, but there is nothing wildly outlandish. The food is so exciting and delicious that for once I didn't feel that I was forcing my own vegan preferences upon a friend. She was thrilled with what she chose. This place is totally amazing, and anyone who thinks the food is expensive should get a copy of the cookbook from their local library and see how much effort goes into putting their carefully balanced and thought out dishes together. Totally, totally recommendable. To the Terre a Terre people: PLEASE think of opening a branch in London! In the meantime I will happily hop on the train just to eat at this fabulous restaurant. You guys rock!

Pros: Fabulous food, Lovely staff, Relaxed atmosphere
Cons: Not close to where I live!
Jan
Jan

Upmarket but not pretentious

5 Posted on 07 / 25 / 2010

We have been frequenting Terre a Terre for a number of years and our opinion has changed over this time. Terre a Terre offers good quality vegetarian and vegan food. It comes at a price which has put us off in the past. However, they do a number of midweek offers which allow you to enjoy a three course meal for a fraction of the price. The food is always of outstanding quality and presented well. The service is usually good and there is always a pleasant atmosphere. It is definitely worth spending that little bit extra to eat here and it is somewhere that meat eating family and friends would like. A word of warning; sometimes the menu can be a little tricky to understand but the staff are always on hand to explain what it is all about. In our opinion, the best vegetarian restaurant in Brighton for an evening meal.

Pros: fantastic food, good choice for vegans, good offers
davey_miles
davey_miles

Good food, but expensive for the quality

4 Posted on 06 / 28 / 2010

Visited for the first time on 27th June 2010 and I thought the food was good. The marinated tofu was awesome, but the soup was a let down. It was very bland and tasteless. The staff are top class, really nice people and very accommodating. Would visit again but the food can be expensive compared to the overall quality.

Pros: Great staff, Good vegan food, Lovely environement
Cons: A little over priced
Sable
Sable

Shared tapaz starter was the same as our main meal

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2010

We do love visiting Brighton and having a meal at this restaurant which is very good but why oh why did they not tell us that the shared tapaz starter we ordered had exactly the same thing in it as our main meal. Imagine how disappointed we were to receive our food only to see exactly the same thing we had just eaten. Also the chunky chips had that reheated taste which seemed poor for such a high class restaurant. Would still go back though as overall very good

KATIE H
KATIE H

expensive small portions of good food

3 Posted on 08 / 22 / 2009

definately the most upscale veggie place in south east i have found. lots of yummy food in little expensive portions. some very confused flavoured foods too, where they are trying too hard to creat something new and fail on some dishes.
Been here a few times one really good waiter experience and the other times the waiters haven't helped at all and we have ended up ordering too many greasy things or stuff that just doesn't go or just not enough food all together.
try it but for a short walk up the lane food for friends is way cooler.

Pros: wasabi nuts, wasabi tofu
Cons: greasy starters, expensive, small portions
  • Chickmandible Chickmandible

I'm sorry but if you think the portions are too small then you eat too much, I have eaten here loads of times and you can't even move if you eat a whole main course. If you can, try a desert, they rock. Also, peoples habit of ordering absolutely everything with chips will mean you end up with a greasy meal. The waiting staff are busy, give them a break.

• KATIE H KATIE H

i actually don't order chips with every meal. and my partner is a chef, so we know about flavours portions and confusion. i wrote a review on my experencies at this place have you tried food for friends?

Miggi
Miggi

Fabulously pretentious

4 Posted on 07 / 12 / 2009

It's great that Brighton has such a market for veggie food that it sustains such a posh fabulously pretentious restaurant. Once or twice a year, on a special occasion, we have somewhere to go to eat that feels like a celebration! The decor, atmosphere, totally competent staff all help.
The vegan options can be a bit limited but all the dishes are pretty special. The vegan option Terre a Tapas platter is a good choice, giving you a taste of most things on the menu. The Hoisin tofu is great - you could have it as a main with a noodle dish when we last went, which was really good.
Others have mentioned the doughnuts but it is worth mentioning them again. Three big fat fingers of warm sugary doughnut with one dipping pot of warm chocolate sauce and another pot of vodka soaked cherries. And it's vegan. Make sure you save room for them.

Pros: Quality, Atmosphere, Doughnuts!
Cons: baffling menu descriptions, should make more vegan dishes
Jemima
Jemima

Quality

5 Posted on 05 / 20 / 2009

Large space with polished floors, there is more seating outside at the rear. They have made the most of light with floor to ceiling glass and skylight.

There was quite a lot to choose from spanning different cuisines. Items are labeled regarding vegan, raw, gluten status. I chose the rosti with spinach. Every part of it was cooked perfectly from the rosti to the spinach to the poached egg and the texture and taste was very good. There is an extensive drinks list including wine, beer, cocktails and juices. I had a Dunkerton's cider.

It was busy the day we were there and service was a little slow at times because of this.

It was just over ₤20 a head for a main at lunch, beverage and service, totally worth it.

Pros: good menu, dishes well executed
Cons: service was slightly slow when I visited
rosie
rosie

Terre a Terre

5 Posted on 04 / 16 / 2009

The best veggie food I've ever had. It's not cheap, but it is amazing tastes, excellent service and really innovative food. The churros donouts are amazingly good.

Pros: amazing range of tastes, friendly staff
Cons: vegan deserts a bit limited at times
comida
comida

Good looking food and friendly service

3 Posted on 03 / 31 / 2009

For appetizers we had the Tamari drenched roasted Pumpkin & Sunflower Seeds (v/gf/ta) £2.85 and the Fabulous Garlic Focaccia (vo) £4.40. For our main courses we had Elephant and Rocket oil £10.50 and Smoked Sakuri Soba (v/gf) £10.95. They were all very good, although my seeds and soba were both on the salty side. I don't understand why people complain that this restaurant is expensive, so I've listed the prices so you can judge for yourself. For this level of presentation and the ingredients that they used, I would say it's a fair price. They had a few desserts suitable for vegans, but I was too full to try any of them. The churros sound good (albeit fried), but I might try that next time. I've had better food and I've had worse, but I would come back again.

Pros: easy to find, friendly staff, interesting menu
  • kennyp353 kennyp353

Good to see the prices in 2009, confirming what I thought which is that they'd jacked up the prices a lot lately - 40% in 3 years. In May 2012, everything's £14.75-ish.

Shockingfish
Shockingfish

You have to go!

5 Posted on 12 / 07 / 2008

This is the best that veggie/vegan cooking has to offer in Brighton. Ignore all the other poor reviews from people who don't like paying that bit more for great food (Im sure that they are the sort of people who think that pot noddle is the hight of style) Go and have a meal and enjoy - take your time and enjoy!

Jellykones
Jellykones

Fantastic!

5 Posted on 11 / 12 / 2008

I've just been to Terre a Terre after months of wanting to. It did not disappoint. All of the food was amazing, with some very interesting ideas (battered haloumi and chips; a great take on the classic British fish & chips!). The service was also brilliant.
As some other reviews note, it was very expensive but, in my opinion, definitely worth it. It's not the kind of place you'd go to every week, and the food is very, very good so I think their prices are justified.
Well worth a visit.

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly service, Good portion sizes
shirley1
shirley1

a wonderful experience

5 Posted on 07 / 22 / 2008

We were recently in England and we were near Brighton, so I always check my happycow for vegan food.

This restaurant got rave reviews, so we drove 1 hour to get there, we were NOT disappointed.

We started off with the wasabi cashews and a basket of bread.The cashews were something I have never experienced before the flavor was explosive ,I also enjoyed the bread and olive oil/balsamic because in North America all breads contain whey powder, so I avoid them.
Next we had a smoked sakuri soba salad that had so many tastes it is hard to describe how wonderful it was.
For the main course my husband had the indi house curry . It does contain cheese so I could not taste it, but he said it was amazing. I had the rosti , I took a picture of this dish as it was so colorful

every mouthful was an explosion of tastes.Desert looked good but we were too full.
There is also a prix fix menu which the people next to us had and they were just oohing and ahing ! they were not even vegetarians but come to this restaurant for a treat.
www.terreaterre.co.uk
The menu is clearly marked vegan, gluten free or vegetarian and most vegetarian dishes can be made vegan.

Pros: excellant food, big portions/menu clearly marked vegan , good value/great staff
Cons: none, none, none
  • JohnnySensible JohnnySensible

Lovely style! - I really enjoyed reading this Review!

camerongreen
camerongreen

Unbelievably Good

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2008

A friend and I had dinner at Terre a Terre after a fun day wandering around lovely Brighton.

We ordered the Hoisin Tofu for entree, and although simple, tofu smothered in hoisin sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger, the flavours were just perfect together. I could have eaten a main of it.

For main we have Terre a Tapas. Oh my...if this isn't the best meal I've ever had it's in the top handful. I say this as someone who has owned a vegan restaurant, organises a vegan lunch club and has eaten at some highly rated restaurants like Millenium in San Francisco and Shakahari's in Melbourne Australia. It as basically a taster of much of their menu. Each thing was perfect, battered sushi, ragout, some delicious mushroom thing.

So this was as close to a perfect meal I've had in a long time, worth the trip to Brighton on it's own. The staff themselves may not be veggies, but they make amazing vegan (and I presume vegetarian) food. I would give them 6 happy cows if I could.

Viva Terre a Terre.

Pros: Incredible food, Nice environment
Cons: Staff aren't vegetarian!
baratron
baratron

I've never had a meal there but...

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2008

I have been known to travel from London by train (an hour and 20 minutes) then walk to the other side of Brighton (a further 20 minutes) JUST for their vegan donuts. They're called chorros, and are straight Mexican-style donuts with the perfect amount of cinnamon sugar, chocolate dipping sauce, and some sort of black cherries in poncy liqueur stuff. Sure, at nearly £8 for 3 they are also the most expensive donuts ever, but they're quite honestly worth it. And, while one style of pricey donuts is hardly on a par with the amazing Mighty O's in Seattle (think a vegan Dunkin' Donuts/Krispy Kreme), I don't have to fly across the Atlantic to get there.

I only wish they did vegan hot chocolate. Fruit tea & donuts just isn't the same :(

Pros: VEGAN DONUTS!!!
Cons: No vegan hot chocolate
  • Chickmandible Chickmandible

THEY DO VEGAN HOT CHOCOLATE i swear! ask for soya milk yeah.

GazN
GazN

Top Class

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2008

Last time I visited Terre a Terre, a couple of years back, the food was great but the the dishes seemed to be more about fancy presentation than food that actually went together. This time, the plates still looked good and made a complete dish of complementing ingredients.

The food was full of flavour and very imaginative. I would definitely recommend that you have the starter 'tapas' as this allows you to sample a taste of all the starters.

It was difficult making a choice from the main menu as everythig sounded fabulous. If they did a "taster menu" it would be perfect.

The place was very busy and, as we were sitting near the font door, we ended up with people waiting for tables milling around our table, which was a bit off-putting.

It would be nice if maybe the front part of the restaurant could be made into a bar area for people to wait and maybe have a drink before being shown to their table. Terre a Terre is certainly of a class of restaurant that could get away with this.

Pros: Fab Food, Starter "tapas"
Cons: Busy, People stood around waiting for tables
Nickysr
Nickysr

Fabulous!

5 Posted on 04 / 22 / 2007

Terre a Terre is what all good vegetarian restaurants should be, stylish decor, quality ingredients and really, really inventive cooking. I LOVE it. NOT expensive (the phrase 'you get what you pay for' is perfect here!) but not cheap, the food is really superb, with flavours, textures and tastes I have never had in a vegan meal before.
I found the menu exciting and the descriptions tantalising, making my meal experience all the better. Why the reviews are mixed for this place is odd - but then this really is a different type of veggie cuisine. Why can't veggie restaurants be 'posh', have a menu that is flowery in prose and be more in line pricewise to a top starred meat eating place? Terre a Terre is doing for veggie/vegan cuisine what Conran did for the bistro style 30 years ago. Terre a Terre is not pretentious, but may be a little overwhelming the first time as it really is unique. My advice is to go with the flow, enjoy the interior design, ponder of the menu, have a good glass of vegan wine and be thankful a place as truely inventive as Terre a Terre exists...

Pros: excellet cooking, special interior, vegan options
onejamie
onejamie

Quality

4 Posted on 01 / 14 / 2007

Terre a Terre promote themselves with a fancy website, complicated menu, and stylish decor - we had big expectations...

We visited in November 2006, and it was not very busy that night. The atmosphere was classy, and we were made comfortable. The service was very friendly and professional. Yes, the menu made it difficult to choose - we shared one of their tapas combinations, and enjoyed the chance to samples lots of delicious options. The food was 5-star.

Were our EXPECTATIONS MET? For the most part - YES.

The only negative comment I can make would be the price. It wasn't unreasonable, but it was expensive - people on a budget take note.

Pros: Great Service, Delicious Meals
marcstevens
marcstevens

Four meals rolled into one

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2006

I haven't been to Terre a Terre in six months but it would still be my veggie/vegan restaurant of choice in the UK. Agreed, the menu titles bear little relationship to the food presented (usually unknown foods are compared to other gobbledegook terms, eventually leading back to the food on the menu in a circular fashion with the asker left none the wiser...), but it always looks great (although usually not quite what you expected from the name or description), and then smells and tastes different again. Where else can you experience your meal so many times in so many different (non-calorific!) ways?

Pros: Different & great food, Good variety, Central location
Cons: Busy as hell
Stevie
Stevie

Terre a Terre, Brighton

3 Posted on 09 / 09 / 2006

A while since I have visited Brighton but I have eaten in this place when I have been in town. Terre a terre targets presenting an image that is modern, stylish, articulate and sophisticated. I'd need to go back again to get a further idea of the place but I'm not surprised it seems to be a bit of a love it or hate it kind of place. I wouldn't have eaten there in times when I was on a tight budget. Centrally located.

Dear Owner and Manager of Terre a Terre: