Teresa Carles Cocina...

Family-owned establishment that's part of a small network of individualized vegetarian restaurants including: Vegetalia in Barcelona, Paradis in Lleida, and Baobab in Zaragoza. Offers breakfast, brunch, dinner, and takeaway. There is a salad bar and 3 daily changing menu options which usually includes at least 1 vegan. English spoken. Busy, pleasant atmosphere, eclectic ambient music, modern decor. Opened since March 2011. Previously named Vegetalia - Jovellanos (same owners). Price: Moderate more-less
Ovo, Lacto, Western, Spanish, International, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out
Jovellanos, 2 (Metro: Placa Catalunya or Universidad Metro)
Barcelona, Spain 08001

Open Mon-Sun 9.00-24.00.

First Review by WSE
NurCosta
NurCosta

Almost 801010 Raw vegan

4 Posted on 04 / 05 / 2014

There is a wide variety of vegan food: from cooked to raw. If you choose the dishes properly, you can feed yourself in a whole meal of raw food with an 80/10/10 ratio.
I strongly recommend getting a juice or a smoothie to pour into your salad, and for seconds, order the "lasanyuki" it's just amazing! (It has some fats from the cashew's cheese) but it's so worth it!
And for vegan or vegetarian people, the dishes are just an explosion of flavours in your mouth. I always enjoy my experience there.
Prices are good quality-value

Pros: Taste of the food, Wide variety of dishes, Desserts, yum!
Cons: Waiting time, Waiters look stressed, Retail problems
Harp
Harp

Teresa Carles for vegans

5 Posted on 02 / 14 / 2014

After the last menu changes in Teresa Carles this place is now more vegan friendly than ever, they are moving in the right direction.

The vibe is very good and the food is fantastic. If I have to recommend only one vegetarian restaurant in Barcelona this is it.

Updated from previous review on Sunday August 11, 2013

Pros: Food/Taste, Vibe, Friendly Staff
runsten
runsten

fabulous place

5 Posted on 02 / 08 / 2014

The food is wonderful and I ate here 3 times and will come back many more times.
I agree with a previous review who wrote:

This was one of the few that felt classy - like a real restaurant that just happened to have a vegetarian menu. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the hippyish, low budget establishments - but it's nice to have somewhere to dress up for too!

I would like to add that just because we are vegans/vegetarians, we don't have to alway have alternative hippie restaurants.
Updated from previous review on Sunday July 08, 2012

Even better Vegan menu this year!

Pros: Food is really creative, Atmosphere, service
Cons: sometimes confused and slow service, please more great vegan dishes!, always full? crowded...
DanielAmaral
DanielAmaral

Very tasty

4 Posted on 02 / 03 / 2014

This place is very crowded. Consider a reservation if you don't want to spend some time to wait for a table.
There is not many vegan options. I ordered the mushroom pizza and it was very, very good. I would definitely come back to eat it again. My girlfriend ordered a burger but I don't remember if it was vegan (she is not vegan) and she said it was also good. Very friendly staff.

Pros: tasty, nice staff
Cons: crowded
AJ
AJ

Great food but mostly dairy

4 Posted on 01 / 02 / 2014

Delicious food! This place is much more vegetarian than vegan so I had a hard time trusting that everything was entirely vegan. Our soup was brought out with kefir in it, until we asked if it was definitely vegan. The server replaced it promptly but I think it made me wonder for the rest of the meal. When I asked what was in the sauce of my vegan carbonara, I was first told it was cream, which was later changed to vegan cream. I would definitely try it because the food was delicious, but if you're vegan, you may have to remain somewhat vigilant to make sure your food is dairy-free.

Pros: Great pasta
Cons: More vegetarian than vegan, A little pricey
Nina Vegan
Nina Vegan

My favorite in Barcelona

5 Posted on 12 / 28 / 2013

Best option in the center of Barcelona.
The menu is different each week, and you can read it on the website.
Very creative and delicious vegetarian food, that the friendly staff adapts if you ask for gluten free or vegan
Large choice of fresh juices.

It gets really crowded, make a reservation not to wait.
I highly recommend this gourmet restaurant.

Pros: awesome restaurant, Very creative vegan food, fresh juices
Cons: make a reservation
Isabeille
Isabeille

Favorite in Barcelona

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2013

most vegetarian restaurants don't have quite a diverse menu as this place. Everything we tried is tasty and original. Cozy and charming, a must go.
Went there, with my fiancé, is a great setting for a romantic supper.

Pros: clear vegan options, diversity of the menu
boover
boover

Simply great!

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2013

Went there for dinner with non-vegetarians, vegetarians and 3 vegans. Very positive surprise, good quality of food, relatively wide range of - delicious - vegan options and very pleasant atmosphere. Prices are reasonable, service friendly. Possbily best option for a nice dinner out in BCN for a vegan. And one where the vegan options can be so delicious, that non-vegans envy them. For sure our bet for the christmas dinner of the company.

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere, fair value
Blueberries
Blueberries

Higher end vegan options

5 Posted on 11 / 16 / 2013

I had avoided this restaurant as from the menu outside it seemed expensive and not particularly vegan-friendly. However, I was happy to be proven wrong! This restaurant is more high-end than other veg places in Barcelona, and this is reflected in the price, atmosphere and menu options. There were many more vegan options than I expected, and as a restaurant that seems to pride itself on fancy dairy cheeses I was surprised to see options with vegan nut cheese. We ordered a vegan vermut between us, which is a sharing tapas plate. It contained marinated mushrooms, aubergine slices, buttery olives, some crisps witn paprika and some coconut tempura. All components were equally enjoyable. We also got a slice of their 'snowflake' cake each, which was a vegan pear, coconut and white chocolate cake. As delicious and decadent as it sounds, with the added bonus of a generous portion. We also had a soya chai latte and a beer, and the bill came to approximately €25, which is not bad for the quality of the food. I would definitely recommemd it to anybody looking for good, more gourmet vegan food.

Pros: great, high end, creative vegan food, good, polite service
Cons: not all vegan, not the cheapest but worth it for the quality
millavinilla
millavinilla

Favorite in Barcelona

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

My husband and I went here twice when we were in Barcelona for 5 days. This place really ticked all the boxes for us. Yes it is a bit expensive but the food was worth it to us. Atmosphere and service was great. We also really appreciate that she is moving towards raw and vegan cuisine. Juices and desserts were also lovely. Would highly recommend it. You may want to book as you may have to wait otherwise.

imelectric
imelectric

veggie delight!

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2013

First time in Barcelona and a friend took me here for the first meal of the trip. Couldn't be more happy and satisfied. This is a must-go to place.

Pros: selection , freshness
Wine Lover
Wine Lover

Loved it

5 Posted on 06 / 18 / 2013

I turned up without a reservation on a Friday night and as you can imagine there was a wait for a table but I was offered a seat at the communal table in the entrance area and I opted for that as I was on my own. Other people were eating there but it was spacious so you didn't feel on top of eachother. The place is nicely done and has a good atmosphere, a nice place to eat out with company.

I would have liked to see more vegan options but there was a small selection and I chose the wholemeal penne which was really lovely. The portion was large and the flavours were good.

For dessert there were a few vegan choices, I ordered the snowflake cake. I waited for around 30 minutes to receive it which is not great when you are eating alone and by this time everyone else on my table had gone so I felt a bit conspicuous! After a while the waitress did notice I was still waiting and chased it up with the kitchen staff (behind a counter next to the communal table). It still didn't arrive and she chased it up again. When it came she said it was on the house which I thought was very good since I hadn't made any complaint, aside from a dissatisfied facial expression when she asked if I'd had the dessert yet.

They had copies of the menu in English but I'm not sure how many as some people who came in after me struggled to get a copy. My waitress spoke excellent english.

The staff were busy and it was sometimes hard to attract attention to get drinks refilled but it may be a different experience if you were in the restaurant proper rather than in the entrance area.

I would definitely eat here again, There is a large and varied menu for vegetarians and I wish I'd brought my veggie partner here instead of the disappointing meal at Sesamo.

Pros: Nice place with good atmosphere, tasty food with good portion size
youfoundcandy
youfoundcandy

So good we went twice!

5 Posted on 06 / 13 / 2013

The food was amazing, vegan friendly, staff was friendly, atmosphere was romantic, and menus were available in English - what more can an American tourist ask for?? In fact my husband and I loved it here so much we came 2x in the 4 days we were in Barcelona. We're vegan so options are slim in this city but TC was an absolute pleasure! We typically only have a few vegan items to choose from but we were overwhelmed here by options! I'd have no hesitation coming back here should I be in the city again. The food was of top quality and drinks kept flowing! We left with satisfied palettes!

Pros: no reservations needed, great food, good service
Cons: quite hard to find
NorwichVeggie
NorwichVeggie

Yummy but pricey!

4 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

I ate here with my boyfriend on our first night in Barcelona and were impressed by the quality of the food which was uniformly tasty. There was about a 20 minute wait for a table but we hadn't booked and there was a seating area you could wait in.
I suppose this is high-end dining and the prices reflected this - it was quite expensive.

Pros: Nice food
MeganBute
MeganBute

Everyone loved it

5 Posted on 04 / 11 / 2013

Traveling Spain has been difficult eating vegan when trying local cuisine with the omnivore family, so TC wad a welcome treat. We went last night and everyone came out raving about the delicious meal. Not too many vegan and gluten free options. However, if GF is not your need, the homemade pasta, bread & seitan were divine. Decor and music felt like home. Highly recommend and home to go for breakfast before I leave.

Pros: Quick service, Perfect sized portions
Cons: Pricier than similar restaurants in Barcelona
Epstein
Epstein

Yummy food in sophisticated environment

5 Posted on 03 / 19 / 2013

It was a pleasure to find a veg restaurant of such high quality both with regard to the food, service and environment.
Highly recommended for those with gourmet tastes.

Pros: Excellent food, Intersting environment, Good service
happyrobot
happyrobot

delicous

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2012

We were just there and had Crusty Crêpe and Spagetti Carbonara. For desert we had Walnut Cake and Catalunian Cheesecake. Both, the main dish and the desert were really delicous. In my opinion this is the best place for vegetarians in the whole city!

Pros: desserts, Location , innovative
maweni
maweni

Outstanding Vegetarian/Vegan Restaurant!

4 Posted on 09 / 03 / 2012

This restaurant was excellent! Ambiance was relaxing, warm & friendly. Great variety on the menu. The food was great and we ate there a few times while in Barcelona. They had menus in English and we had fun conversation with other diners at the restaurant. You would be remiss to not eat here during your stay in Barcelona. It was a little tricky to find as it is on a side street, but very close to a major site (Place de Cataluna).

Pros: Excellent food, Great Ambiance
Cons: A little tricky to find
jeanjeanie
jeanjeanie

Brilliant restaurant

5 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2012

The atmosphere was lovely. The furniture very smart and modern. The waitress spoke English and was able to advise about menu choices. The food was beautiful. Huge choice, including design your own salad using a tick sheet. It was expensive , but then I think that all large cities are expensive, but it was worth it!

Pros: Friendly staff, Furniture smart, excellent food
Aiden Shaw
Aiden Shaw

The kind of place i take friends to initiate them

5 Posted on 06 / 27 / 2012

a nicer dining experience than most veggie places. can find a quiet table with a date. Staff very helpful and friendly. food bloody good. Vitamin C vegan salad is a must. i go for breakfast when in Barcelona. avocado and tomato on toast + rice milk late, sets me up for the day.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday April 03, 2012

Pros: friendly, good looking place, huge variety
Cons: can't think of any, nope, still can't, busy sometimes, but u never hav to wait
dagny70
dagny70

A Great Night Out

5 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2012

We ate in a lot of veggie/vegan places during our recent stay in Barcelona, and this was one of the few that felt classy - like a real restaurant that just happened to have a vegetarian menu. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the hippyish, low budget establishments - but it's nice to have somewhere to dress up for too! Our server was really friendly and helpful, and spoke great English. A great menu, lots of choice, but in the end I went for the rice 'meatballs' with artichokes in almond sauce. Amazing! My partner had gorgonzola & atichoke pasta, which was also delicious. We shared some home-baked artisan bread and I had a freshly made 'Shiver'juice - lemon, mint & honey. Yum! The interior was very cool and stylish, and we didn't feel rushed nor was the service too slow. Great place, we would definitely go there again.

Pros: Delicious food, Stylish Restaurant, Friendly staff
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

gourmet delight

5 Posted on 06 / 19 / 2012

I had two meals at this lovely establishment. The food is fresh, flavorful and beautifully presented. The restaurant is a nice classy space. They have a large selection of ingredients to add to your own personalized salad. The pate trio is my favorite as well.

Pros: fresh, flavor , nice space
MsBennet
MsBennet

Love this Restaurant

5 Posted on 05 / 11 / 2012

Avoid the usual tourist traps and surly waiters and head straight here. I was so happpy to have found this place. It's a nice, proper restaurant, fantastic fresh food and juices, the kind of place you'd happily bring a whingy meat eater :-)

Although it's officially a ``vegetarian'' restaurant there are loads of awesome vegan options.

Yummy salads but if you fancy a ``Sunday Roast'' have the seitan mille feuille.... I ate there three times in one week and would always happily return.

Pros: Food, Cool Staff, Atmosphere
hack_man
hack_man

Verging on Gourmet

4 Posted on 04 / 15 / 2012

A really wonderful place. We were disappointed in 2009 when this was a Vegetalia but now it has become Teresa Carles it is truly sensational. The interior is stylish and modern and the food is pretty exceptional. Portion sizes are small but the quality is high. House wine is only 8.50 EUR and main courses range from 10 to 14 EUR served from a gorgeous open kitchen area. Service was quick and everything was perfect. A place to be enjoyed and savoured. Try the seitan, it was absolutely delicious.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff
heywood100
heywood100

A little pricey for what you get

3 Posted on 01 / 09 / 2012

Popped in here for an early evening meal in Barcelona, our last before getting the train. The decor and general ambiance is quite upmarket, perhaps even trendy, with a bit of a 'wine bar' feel - but maybe I just don't go to enough (relatively) fancy restaurants. The menu is decent, with the plate of the day menu providing a soup or salad as a starter, and then a main course chosen from four options; but the portions, particularly of the main courses, were a little on the small side for what you pay. Maybe if the food were mind-blowing this wouldn't be such a problem, but it was fairly standard stuff - nice, but nothing you couldn't make yourself with a bit of pasta, olive oil and some Parmesan cheese.

paypar
paypar

Beautiful Space, Beautiful Food!

5 Posted on 12 / 19 / 2011

I am so glad I came to Teresa Carles! The restaurant itself is beautiful in the interior with an open prep area where you can see a display of the menu items). Their lunch prix fixe included an appetizer and main course which was more than enough. I had the soup and my party had the caesar salad. For the entree half of us had the risotto (those that had it said it was a bit under salted) and the other half had a pasta.

This is a wonderful place to have a nice meal in a nice setting. I would go back again!

Pros: decor, food presentation
Cons: drinks and dessert not included
Winkler85
Winkler85

Good place

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I was here the first evening and quite hungry, but when I came there at 19.10 and had to wait untill 19.30 to order. The food is good and I came back one time to taste more. The first evening the main course came to fast after the main dish, what was little bit less good, but the taste of both courses made up for it.

Pros: Good food, Nice juices, Friendly staff
Cons: More Vegan options would be better, Kitchen opens only at 19.30, Main course too fast after starter
anne1
anne1

Lovely place

5 Posted on 10 / 10 / 2011

This was a chance find for us and really delightful. We had a real treat at this lovely restaurant. We shared a starter and moved onto Seitan Millefeuille and a Tofu and Tempeh dish for our mains. No puddings for us but a lovely liqueur. Really nice staff and great wine. Classy.

Pros: lovely staff, great food, nice environment
Cons: a little pricey
Happyheffer
Happyheffer

Teresa Carles

3 Posted on 09 / 28 / 2011

I ate at this venue twice during my stay in Barcelona in September 2011.

The menu was varied and interesting and the food was tasty.

The service was variable. I first went on a Wednesday night and the service was great. The service was, however, very poor on my subsequent visit on a Friday night.

pk66
pk66

very very dissappointing - bad staff bad portions,

2 Posted on 09 / 05 / 2011

While we were in Barcelona, we stumbled across this very enticing modern trendy restaurant and being vegetarian we we delighted with the prospect of a gourmet experience. So in we went. we ordered a shared starter of mixed croquettes. These arrived alone on a plate no garnish , no salsa no nothing. Tasted ok but lacked seasoning. For our mains we decided to have the courgette rolls. These arrived, four thin rolls stuffed with scrambled egg on a bed of cold pumpkin soup or sauce. Nothing else. The portion was really only a starter size and at 11.90Euro one would expect a side of rice or bread?? Not really worth the cost but tasty. Now for the service, it was awful. Nobody came by to see how we were with our food. at the end of the first course the waiter took away our plates and left the dirty cutlery behind. In light of the ambience and the prices on this place has it would be expected to have a change of cutlery. No water was offered either. As mentioned our main came on a sauce layer. so one wonders how the staff expected guests to eat this given forks? we tried to get the staff attention to ask for spoons but as they were way too busy chit chatting at the front of the venue my partner resorted to going up and asking for one himself. Rather than suggesting she bring them to us the waitress simply handed him two spoons as she carried on talking to her colleague! After this we decided to eat up and leave and not have dessert of coffees etc. We asked the waitress how long the place was open for and she said 5 months and I can say it may not be open much longer if they don't improve service, as they clearly know not of what this means. The bill was 40 Euro for one starter, two paltry mains, and two juices. We left feeling hungry and robbed. I really do not agree or believe that the positive glowing reviews on here are real or if they are they are rare and not the norm.

My suggestion is if you do go there be mindful of the small portions, the poor service and the fact that the staff are not vegetarian and so do not really know what they ARE DOING.

i WISH I had met the owner as i would loved to have shared my experience with her/him and see what she felt about it.

The staff apologised but didn't really get it it. We were given a jar of sugared almonds as a gesture of good will. However we still needed a dinner after this! To conclude don't bother it is a dis-service to vegetarians and gets vegetarianism a bad na

Pros: location
Cons: service, price, small portions
Ruby X
Ruby X

Best vegetarian food in Barcelona

5 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2011

We went to Teresa Carles on our second day in Barcelona and were forced to come back later, because we simple wanted to eat EVERYTHING on the menu. This is the first time ever this has happened to me, so it was quite the experience. Who would have ever thought I'd have too much options at a restaurant.

The food was as delicious as subscribed on the menu. Stuffed mushrooms with walnut, leek pudding (had to try to see what it was), assorted croquettes, pumpkin balls with a centre of blue cheese, an aubergine cake with figs, mushroom cannelloni with truffle sauce, vegetarian "meat" balls, papardelle "bolognese", millefeuille of chocolate mousse and coconut, tiramisu with a Catalonian touch, blueberry cheesecake and a wontoon pastry.

All of these dishes were not only a feast for the tongue but also beautifully displayed.

What I value most about the dishes is that (with some exceptions) they weren't an attempt to copy a meat dish. I love it when vegetables are the centerpiece of a dish. When the chef cleary puts his or her own creativity to play.

The service was fast, friendly and very professional. English menu's are available and everyone we talked to spoke English fluently.

The location is also quite good. Only one street of the plaza Catalunya and very easy to find.

Everything was perfect and this was possibly one of the best all-vegetarian restaurants I have ever eaten at. Of course this comes with a price. This was also the most expensive restaurant we visited in Barcelona, but you definately get value for your money. And it's only price when compared to the other veg places in town, which were all extremely cheap. Terese Carles actually has normal, moderate prices for a place in a touristic centre.

I would definitely say this is the best vegetarian restaurant in Barcelona. So if you want delicious, creative, beautiful food, this is the place to go.

Pros: A feast for the tongue, creative dishes, great location
JenaM
JenaM

Good!

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2011

Happened upon this place when walking around the city. Really pleased as its the first vegetarian place I've seen in Barcelona. It was quite busy, but our server was quick and attentive. I had a "small plate" for 6.50 euros but it was filling enough for lunch. It was also really delicious. The salads looked great, too, and I was really happy to see that the vegan items were clearly labeled, as were gluten free.

Pros: Vegan labels, Friendly, Delicious
Cons: Need more vegan choices
WSE
WSE

Excellent experience

5 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2011

We had a lovely early dinner there today. Unlike many Spanish restaurants, they do not close between lunch and dinner. Food was excellent, location very clean and modern. Menu is limited. Lots of salad choices and a few entrees, plus fresh juice and wonderful desserts. Menu available in English, clearly marked to show which items are also vegan or gluten free. 100% vegetarian menu. Waiters spoke English well enough that language was not a barrier. They serve breakfast too, we plan on coming back at least once before we leave Barcelona (we are tourists)

Pros: Fresh clean food, Modern pleasant location, GF and vegan clearly marked
Cons: Wish had more variety

Dear Owner and Manager of Teresa Carles Cocina Vegetariana: