Cafe and performance venue. Serves a vegan brunch on Sunday. Some vegan items are menemen with tofu, cappuccino with hemp milk, Turkish specialties for lunch, cabbage rolls with olive oil, dry eggplant dolma, lasagna, soy tofu cheese. Wi-fi. May 2014, reported to be fully vegetarian. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Turkish

coverseas
coverseas

Great little place!

Posted on 03 / 27 / 2015

I really like this little spot! As an American, it reminds me of a place in a US college town from the 1980s (I mean that in a good way! :) ).

As others have mentioned, the ordering is a bit freewheeling -- I just let the fellow, once I found him, make me what he wished. It was Mediterranean-themed: a plate with small portions of several things -- a cabbage salad, baba ganoush, rice, two types of stuffed grape leaves, and a homemade sausage-esque type thingie, with a small amount of other fruits and veggies and some bread. It was really tasty! It cost 12TL -- which given what I got, all made by hand, was a good deal.

There is, indeed, smoking inside... but it kind of goes with Istanbul.

The fellow (worker/ owner?) serving me was really friendly, and I heard his story as we talked a bit... as were the customers! It has the great feeling of a community vegetarian spot.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 18, 2015

I just wanted to update that I went several times during my week in Istanbul and was glad I did. Bob seems like a really good guy -- we had some good conversations and he prepared food fresh that was always good and varied (and he will do his best if you have requests!). I feel like this is exactly the kind of place that needs, and deserves, Happy Cow visitors' support!

Pros: Tasty, Homemade & fresh, Friendly community feel
Cons: Allows smoking
guraytezcan
guraytezcan

getting cheaper and arabbier :)

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2015

they recently hired a cook called bob whose mother is an italian and father is an arab; he brought a fresh taste to teneffüs. they now serve falafel Wrap, only 3,5 lira! full hummus plate is 5 lira.

Pros: really quite, colorful in-design, good music
aradhakr
aradhakr

Great food

Posted on 01 / 20 / 2015

I had a little difficulty finding the place but it was worth the effort. You walk up a flight of stairs and the cafe is on the right as soon as you walk up. Guy who worked there (maybe owner?) was friendly and welcoming.

There is no menu so you kind of just get a little bit of everything. One thing that's kind of annoying is that they allow smoking inside, very common in Istanbul. I didn't smell too much of it but I could see it being an issue if it's busy and a few people light up.

Price wise it was a bit on the expensive side. I had lunch and it cost me around 22 TKL. Veggie food shouldn't be that expensive in Istanbul.

Pros: great food, friendly owner
Cons: a bit pricey

charlottesometimes
charlottesometimes

excellent cafe in tarlabaşı

Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

This place is comfort like a home. Foods are very tasty. Vegan burger, vegan menemen etc. They made coffee with vegan milks. And they made their own plantal milk and tofu. This is awesome.

• oyatoris oyatoris

thank you soo much for your comment, i think this place would be ideal cruelty free world in Istanbul, thanks for your support Charlotte:)

Dear Owner and Manager of Teneffus Cafe: