CLOSED: Teapot Vegetarian...

Moderate size Asian vegetarian restaurant located on the 2nd floor with windows overlooking the street. Extensive menu features a variety of dishes with mains ranging from $8-14 each. Brown rice and hot tea available at extra charge. Reported closed to HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Pan Asian, Kosher, Beer/Wine
345 15th Ave E (Harrison, Capitol Hill district)
Seattle, Washington 98112
206-325-1010

Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:30pm.

First Review by Miso Vegan
Nomeatforme
Nomeatforme

Just so so

2 Posted on 08 / 26 / 2011

Had somewhat high expectations for this place, but it was simply very average. I would go again if I were in the area and somebody else wanted to go, but I wouldn't choose it specifically. Some of the food tasted like it had been frozen and simply heated up.

The cleanliness was sub-par, and the bathroom in desperate need of attention. I wanted to give it 3 "cows" because the food itself is "fair," but I couldn't after considering the bathroom.

stxbill
stxbill

Now full of themselves - not attractive

2 Posted on 02 / 15 / 2011

Have been going to the Teapot for many years. Don't live in Seattle so not often, but every time we get there. Food always great, people always great. This time, though, a change to the menu. For the wife and I to have hot tea and rice (required!) would have been an additional $7.50 to over $9.00 (depending on the tea you wanted) Yes - we are talking a couple of tea bags and a cup of rice. I love this place and want to see them continue to prosper, but not by making a 9,990% profit on tea and rice. It just ain't right.

Pros: Convenient Location, Great Food, Friendly Staff
Cons: Six Dollars for two ten cent tea bags, Two Dollars for a few grains of rice, Parking is horrible on the weekend
thoor_ballylee
thoor_ballylee

Good, solid vegan food

3 Posted on 01 / 26 / 2011

I've only eaten here once and it was a while ago and I was going to wait until I went back before rating but the more I thought about it I don't really feel the need to go back, which with this place being vegan is not something I say lightly. Not that it's bad, but for me it's nothing special and I felt for the money not the best, though of course you often have to pay for the novilty of a place being vegan but the little things got to me. I wouldn't mind going back but with all the vegan options in Seattle I can't say it will be a priority.

Pros: location is nice, food is good, interesting menu
Cons: price is a little steep, nothing special
Vegite
Vegite

Decent vegan food, and the staff tries hard.

3 Posted on 08 / 02 / 2010

All I can say is that I hope this place will stay in business. I have been going to Teapot for years, since its old location, and have slowly watched the crowds dwindle. The new place has a much nicer, cleaner atmosphere. The menu offers many options and the food is still pretty good, albeit it's no comparison to Araya's. However, I noticed within the last year that the portion size of dishes has been halved, but the prices remain the same. While they continue to refrain from using MSG, the restaurant still does not offer the option of using wheat-free tamari sauce as some other restaurants do. And, I am still awaiting a vegetarian Pan-Asian restaurant that will be willing to use organic tofu in their dishes, and try to add more organic ingredients/options. Capitol Hill (and the areas surrounding it) is the kind of place where many people will appreciate healthy, organic choices. All that said, Teapot is not a bad vegan option, and the atmosphere is airy and spacious. The wait-staff is typically nice and accommodating, but they need to relax and chill out a bit, particularly at times when I'm their only customer.

Pros: It's 100% vegan, large, airy room, variety of options, not too expensive
Cons: the food could taste more fresh, they've cut their portions
mushutofu
mushutofu

hair in sukiyaki = disgust

2 Posted on 12 / 01 / 2009

Having read mixed reviews of Teapot, I decided to check the restaurant off on my day off. I ordered the dumplings and the Sukiyaki Steampot. The dumplings were decent. About 3/4 of the way through my Sukiyaki, I found a hair and immediately lost my desire to finish my dish. When the server came over, I explained that I wouldn't be taking the rest to go and pointed out the hair. She took my plate away and came back with a a man whom I'm guessing works the kitchen. He explained that they would not be able to take the dish off my check but could they fix me something to go instead. I told them that I really had lost my appetite and didn't care to take anything for home. The man once again said that was all they could offer and couldn't take it off my bill. I asked why, he seemed a little shocked, and responded that they could get fired for doing that. I told him that I would really prefer not to pay for the item. I was then told they could take off 10-20% of the cost of the item. I once again stated that I would prefer not to pay for the item. The two individuals talked amongst themselves and said that they would take the Sukiyaki off my bill.

I really really really wanted to have a different, more positive experience than the reviews I've read...but sadly it did not unfold that way.

I won't be returning.

Pros: atmosphere, interesting menu wording, view
Cons: hair in food, unhelpful, non-solution oriented staff

Guest
Guest

5 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2009

I love this place so much that it has prevented me from exploring some of the other good vegan places in the city. I keep coming back!

SeattleVegan
SeattleVegan

GREAT FOOD GONE BAD!! :(

2 Posted on 12 / 23 / 2008

I used to eat here time and time again, as it is only a couple of blocks form my house. The service used to be great and prices ok... 3 weeks ago I went in for my all time favorite dish Basil Nuggets!! I was disappointed for 2 reasons. The raised the price by a lot and gave my a lot less!! So I thought whatever no big deal... I ate there LAST night and spent 20 bucks for something that used to cost under 15 and brought it home and proceeded to eat my food... I thought the food was cold, but I shrugged it off as i walked home... The as I ate I notice a curly short light brown hair in my food... I will say it was an armpit hair. (hopefully!!) Needless to say I didnt finish my meal and told my boyfriend. He called and when they answered he said tell the guy with light brown or blond hair to be careful lol... He offered us some spring rolls... I didn't except them due that the fact I don't like body hair in my food!!!

HaplessHeather
HaplessHeather

Wonderful food, good service

5 Posted on 09 / 10 / 2008

I am really surprised at some of the terribly negative reviews for Teapot. I ate there in July 2008, and the food was marvelous - the best Asian food I have ever tasted. We had breaded tofu, a clear noodle soup, and one other dish, and they were to die for. The prices are higher than many restaurants, but I didn't mind at all considering the quality of the food.

The server wasn't exactly boisterous, but he was polite and punctual and did his job well. I live in Olympia, but I will be making excuses to go to Seattle just so I can eat at Teapot.

Pros: The BEST food, Good service, Nice atmosphere
veganandrea
veganandrea

Soooooooo good!

5 Posted on 02 / 21 / 2008

I seriousloy love this place. The mandarine crispy beef is so yum! They have the BEST vegan cheesecake I have ever had! I love this place!

Pros: excellent food, large portions, atmosphere
Cons: parking
mc
mc

ick!

2 Posted on 12 / 15 / 2007

I havent eaten at the Teapot, but I have been there. Upon arrival I went to the restroom with my children to wash our hands. In doing so I passed the kitchen, which had onions stored on the floor next to the public bathroom, and was shocked at how dirty it appeared. Then we entered the bathroom and the first thing my four year old said was "yuck" then my six year old said : I'm not eating here!" I agreed and off we went.
If the bathroom , which is open to the public, is filthy, imaging what you cannot see.
I've heard the food is tasty and I would like to support a vegi restaurant, but this was gross!

Pros: vegetarian
Cons: flithy, dirty, smelly
  • mc mc

I'm glad you called, but the information given you was not correct. The bathroom was not opem to the public mall, unless they have to walk through the restaurant front door and into the restroom. It is a private bathroom accessable from the restaurant only and it was filthy! I understand having a small kitchen and delivery issues, but on a Friday night around 7:00 p.m. there were boxes of food stacked next to the restroom.How long is too long for your food to be next to the potty?If a customer cannot wash their hands in a sanitary way how do the cooks?
    And really, you made a call from Hong Kong to an unknown restaurant to inquire about their gross lavatory? That is mighty curious!

phoenixftm
phoenixftm

Teapot... Mmmmmm!

5 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2007

I moved to the east coast from Seattle. Know what I miss the most? The Teapot!!!!

Granted, my current town has some great veg*n food, but Teapot was an endless array of tasty treats. Aside from some of the other suggestions I've read, I'd recommend the Rose 'Chicken.' And the mango cheesecake was to *die* for.

Damn, now I need a plane ticket back to Seattle!

Chia
Chia

Could Be Better

2 Posted on 03 / 30 / 2007

Was here in March 07. I had read a good review from a previous user, so I brought my husband here to try. We were both rather disappointed. The decor of the restaurant was nice, and we sat at a table by the windown overlooking the street. But the lady's restroom was filthy, and the kitchen small and disorderly. There was no complimentary hot tea - something I enjoy about Chinese/Asian restaurants, and the food was pricey for the portion. We got a vegetable tempura (tasty but oily), a wonton soup (average flavor, wonton had a sour taste), and a vermicelli noodles (small portion, lacked veggies). We both didn't feel so good after the meal. I think this dining experience was among my least favorite while in Seattle (we tried over a dozen restaurants). However, I have to at least give them credit for serving all vegetarian food.

Pros: good menu variety
Cons: cleanliness issues
xbillyx
xbillyx

Best vegan restaurant in Seattle

5 Posted on 03 / 07 / 2007

Teapot is, in my opinion, the best vegan restaurant in Seattle. Located in a nice part of Capitol Hill. I recommend Mongolian Vegetarian, Mandarian Crispy Tofu, Basil Nuggets, and Bounty of the Sea.

Pros: Great atmosphere, Nice staff
Cons: A little pricey
Miso Vegan
Miso Vegan

What's the fuss?

2 Posted on 07 / 13 / 2006

I cannot understand why people like this place. I've been at least 5 times, and I've decided never again ... Small portions ... food quality and flavor are a gamble ... ALWAYS out of their "famous" cheesecake, and in fact were out of all desserts when I went the last TWO times ... overpriced. Horrible service - every single time!! (Our guest never got her food; we waited 25 minutes for water; had to ask to give our order; got the check before our guest was finished - those kinds of things.)

Pros: vegan
Cons: bad service, food is so-so, overpriced

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Teapot Vegetarian House: