Teapot Vegetarian House - R...

Extensive Pan-Asian and Chinese vegetarian vegan food menu. Confirmed open by happycow July 2014. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Thai, Pan Asian, Kosher, Beer/Wine, Take-out

jeo
jeo

Interesting Place

Posted on 10 / 22 / 2014

I really enjoyed it here although I am always confused between the philosophy that creates a vegan restaurant and the fact that it attracts people who eat kosher, so I can find myself sitting next to someone who would gladly chow down on a cow that has been slaughtered in the most inhumane way. However lovely food, healthy or not so healthy take your pick but I can eat anything off the menu and that had to be only good. Plenty of great food and I needed a take out box. No short portions here!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday October 15, 2014

Pros: Interesting friendly staff , Broad menu, Really interesting owner - talk to her!
Cons: A bit pricey but worth it, Kosher tho!
dkinjer
dkinjer

We enjoyed it very much

Posted on 08 / 05 / 2014

We went out with family who love this place and thought we'd like it - we did! We found the service good (remember, it is not fast food)and were pleased that we could get brown rice. I had the Jewel Box with the brown rice and tea and my spouse had the Mongolian vegetables and we each enjoyed very much.
We also shared a tofu-cheesecake dessert. Not Chinese, but very tasty, though just a tad too sweet.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 05, 2014
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 05, 2014

Pros: Tasty food, pleasant service
JeffBar
JeffBar

Meh

Posted on 07 / 14 / 2014

We were pretty disappointed in this restaurant, which we went to based on a vague memory of enjoying their earlier location. The food was a bit too sugary (could have been bad choices), and we didn't really get enough besides ordering 3 entrees for two people. (Many vegetarian restaurants don't seem to realize that vegetarians need to eat a larger volume of food than meat eaters. This is a really common problem we encounter.) The service OK (one waiter considerably more friendly than the other).

Cons: Food wasn't that great, Portions too small

VinceVandemolegraaf
VinceVandemolegraaf

Too much oil

Posted on 03 / 29 / 2014

I have been here a couple times, food is tasty but way too much oil is being used.

Pros: Price
Cons: Too much oil
Sparkledustpajamas
Sparkledustpajamas

Not sure how this place stays in business

Posted on 09 / 20 / 2012

I've eaten there twice now to give them a fair shot. The first time was a month ago for dinner, and the second visit occurred last week. I went during the lunch hour. I've had the steamed dumplings which tasted like Campbells chicken soup I was made to eat as a kid. Other than that it was very mushy and bland. I told the waitress I didn't like it at all. I had only eaten half of one. She didn't offer to take it back so I was stuck paying for it. I had an eggplant entree that was pretty decent, just a bit too sweet for my liking. For the lunch visit I had something that was supposed to mimic crispy orange chicken, but with tofu. My gawd. This was the most grease laden, syrupy sweet vile food I ever put in my mouth. Three bites was all I could stand. I didn't bother telling the waitress how I felt about it. I just paid and left, tossing my leftovers in the nearest garbage. What gets my goat about some of these vegan joints, is they think just being vegan is enough. Well, I'm here to tell you it's not. We may be initially attracted to the fact you advertise vegan, but what keeps us coming back is serving delicious, reasonably healthy food. It's not that difficult to cook good food that doesn't require deep frying or being doused in sugar. On the upside, it is vegan, the staff is friendly enough, and it's in a decent part of town with ample parking. I hope the chefs read these reviews and get a clue though.

Pros: ample parking, vegan
Cons: unhealthy food, poor food quality
Boboveg
Boboveg

Sometimes great, sometimes awful

Posted on 01 / 21 / 2012

I've had some great food and some terrible food here. The worst were 3 of 3 main dishes that were so sweet that we had trouble eating them. This happened just once. I suppose some of the off-target dishes appeal to outlier palettes, but they need to aim for the 90% mainstream. The last three times I've eaten there, it's been good. A new chef perhaps - I really don't know what has changed.

The restaurant isn't expensive, but dishes are $2 or $3 more than they would be at the least expensive Chinese place.

Wonderful, attentive, friendly service.

Pros: Good food, Very friendly staff and good service
Cons: Higher prices, Variable food
Toadbitt
Toadbitt

All vegan!

Posted on 04 / 06 / 2011

I love being able to order anything off the menu. I am not only vegan, but allergic to eggs and milk and a lot of restaurants will cross contaminate eggs/milk into meals. Not here. The food here is good. A lot of items are deep fried and slim on veggies so keep that in mind if you are seeking a fiber fill.

Kauakena
Kauakena

Wait? My $13 meal does not include rice??

Posted on 12 / 20 / 2010

Yup, that's right. This place not only charges a lot for their meals, they charge for rice which apparently is not included with the meal. And if you happen to finish the small portion of rice that they bring to the table they'll charge you again for bringing another small portion of rice.

The flavors are dumbed down as well. You'll see what I mean if you end up eating here. There's no dimension to the taste of each meal. All 4 dishes that each of us choose were shared amongst the four of us. I was not impressed. Their appetizers are small for what you pay for.

All in all, the bang-for-the-buck is very low here.

Pros: Only Chinese place in Redmon, Never busy so it's quiet, Friendly staff
Cons: Expensive (rice is extra), Watered down flavors, Small portions
kindlizard
kindlizard

Inedible, literally

Posted on 10 / 08 / 2010

Well, the title does say it all. Let me explain, but first I will try to say something positive, though it may be useless since we couldn't eat the food.

The waiter refilled our water often. He also offered us a free dessert for the problem, though he should have taken it off our bill or to re-make the food.

The Hot & Sour soup, which I get everywhere in the country, when ever I can, was average, if not a touch above average. It was better than most, only because most use a mix that is terrible. It was not anywhere near being great, just good. If I were to go back, which we will never do, I don't think it would draw me to it again. But that said, it was the only edible food of the night.

The steamed dumplings were awful, consisting of glass thread noodles and cilantro (2 cheap and unexciting fillings for dumplings ~ esp at $7) and were very small. I rarely am disinterested in dumplings, and these were boring and the texture was off as was the taste.

The true abomination came with out entrees. Are you familiar with those little jars of minced garlic? Well apparently, so are they. Our two entrees, one being a sweet and sour dish, was COVERED in this. Each little strand of food was covered in 10 to 12 pieces of minced garlic. The sweet and sour dish was neither sweet nor sour. The big pieces of tomato and garlic made it seem Italian rather than Chinese. The ingredients looked cheap and unappetizing. We couldn't eat any of it.

The second dish was a clay pot. The fact I ordered it bc it looked safe as a non-garlic dish, in fact, garlic isn't mentioned on the menu at all. It was not a clay pot, rather a stainless steel dish, in a puddle of soy sauce and COVERED AGAIN in minced garlic. I didn't even get to try how bad it was.

I wish you could see how bad it looked. This is a joke. It is likely a reason why so many folks hate veggie food. This is among the worst places to eat in America, for $50 no less. A travesty. They even charge you for rice w your dish.

I hope for their sake it was a high school kid cooking for his/her first time in the back. It was an outrage. When he asked us how things were, he did not offer to take it back, or to take it off the bill. We paid, but we won't be back.

I didn't heed the previous reviews. They seemed lacking somehow. I thought it couldn't be that bad, like they must've had an axe to grind. This place is the worst in the area I've been to. I urge you to eat anything but this.

Pros: ample water
Cons: GARLIC GARLIC GARLIC, EXPENSIVE, BAD FOOD
  • kindlizard kindlizard

Just want to really make sure y'all realize how disrespectful this place is to FOOD and people alike. This was tragic. Save yourself the time money and aggravation. Not cool...

trinjoy
trinjoy

This has been a family favorite for years

Posted on 09 / 29 / 2010

My family of 4 has been there at least a dozen times, and we always love it! Great atmosphere. Friendly service. Plentiful portions. Delicious food. Amazing dessert. A tad expensive, but SO worth it!

Pros: Clean & Beautiful, Extensive menu, Helpful & Friendly staff
Cons: not close enough to my house
mitupogo
mitupogo

Yummy!

Posted on 05 / 30 / 2010

My husband and I went here with a non-vegan friend, and we all 3 enjoyed our meal. The environment is pleasant and clean. The food was quite good - not too spicy, just easy to eat. We had a faux fish dish, some phad thai, and some faux beef & broccoli. We also had an appetizer sampler. Tons of food, we filled up and brought home a ton too. The prices were not cheap, but not too bad - appetizers around $7, entrees $8 - 12 or so.

Pros: good food, not too spicy, faux meat choices
Cons: not too spicy
Chef Kati
Chef Kati

Run--don't walk to another restaurant!!

Posted on 12 / 24 / 2009

I'd give Teapot NO stars if it were possible!
My husband and I have been vegetarians for 33 yrs and 40 yrs. respectively. We know what we're talking about. I teach Asian cooking classes and have lived in Asia so I really know what I'm talking about.
The food here is so bland and un-authentic. The service is always lousy. The only reason we went last time is because our out of town friends and us wanted to go to Malay Satay Hut (2 doors down and fabulous!) but it didn't open for another 30 min. I would have waited, but the friends had two hungry kids who couldn't wait. We tried to warn them that the food is horrible but they didn't heed our advice.
The seven of us ordered a bunch of food and the majority of us left so much uneaten. Not even worth taking home in our opinion. Our friend's wife requested hers be wrapped for take out and the owner put a used large plate ON TOP OF HER PLATE OF FOOD as she was piling up the dirty dishes. Our friend said "Please don't put that dish on top of my food" and the owner/waitress said "Oh, our dishes our clean"!!!
Need I say anymore?? Moral of the story: Go hungry rather than eat here.

Pros: parking is plentiful, menu SOUNDS good
Cons: Horrible service with an attitude, Consistently inferior food
  • kindlizard kindlizard

first i read this i thought you just had an axe to grind; but after going there I couldn't agree more. the moral is true

mattsaavedra
mattsaavedra

Food is good but they just raised prices a lot

Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

The food as usual is always good, especially the mandarin tofu. But on our last visit prices had gone up on many dishes by 3 or 4 dollars. I know food prices are on the rise in general but I think their increases are a little much. I don't see the inflation of food prices impacting meatless dishes by that large of a margin.

Pros: Unique Dishes
Cons: New high prices
carrot_cake
carrot_cake

Awsome desert!

Posted on 09 / 04 / 2007

The vegan menu is extensive and expensive although not healthy at all. Everything is fried. It does taste good though. But the vegan cheesecake it's better than most "regular" cheesecakes. Make sure you give that a try.

Pros: nice atmosphere, extensive menu, really good cheesecake
Cons: very expensive, not healthy

Dear Owner and Manager of Teapot Vegetarian House - Redmond: