New York vegetarian cafe in a bright and sunny space. Features a varied menu with an extensive drinks menu. Dec 2012 reported change of name and ownership; previously opearating as Teanyssimo and prior to that as TeaNy Cafe and Tea when it was partly owned by musician Moby. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, American, Italian, Take-out, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by sparkly_ruth
KarinaU1
KarinaU1

Good Tea

3 Posted on 03 / 22 / 2014

The tea flavors are very nice but the food is nothing special and leaves much to be desired for.

Pros: delicious teas, tasty desserts, comfortable seats
Cons: food could be better, tiny space
veggiewoman
veggiewoman

Dessert Pros

4 Posted on 11 / 18 / 2013

I stumbled upon Teany while wandering around the lower East side of New York. The bright awning and atmosphere inside were bright and inviting. I didn't sit down for a meal, but purchased a vegan cannoli and scone to go. The cannoli was indescribably amazing. The outside was perfectly crispy and the inside was buttery and fluffy.

The scone was just ok, but I am generally not a big scone fan so that is more of a reflection of me than teany.

All the desserts in the display looked beautiful. They also offer vegan ice cream in a variety of flavours, as well as GF cheese cake.

The brochure for the restaurant says 100% vegan, but the menu lists vegetarian items such as eggs and cheese.

The restaurant is very tiny so I would not plan to go with a group.

Pros: out of this world tiramisu, fun/colourful atmosphere, large menu
Cons: small dining space
TRaeCH
TRaeCH

Absolutely Loved This Place!

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2013

I'm coming back every single time I'm in New York.

Even though the entrees weren't out of this world, the atmosphere, selections of tea, desserts, drinks, etc. accommodating and friendly staff, pillowed booth seating and potential for meeting cool, interesting people more than compensates and makes this a five star (or, five cow) restaurant.

My wife and I each had an entree, a drink and sampled various desserts.

I ordered the 'Chicken' Parmesan which was rather creative. My wife was a big fan of the vegan cheese. I enjoyed the meal a lot. Perfectly, generously portioned. She ordered a TLT (tempeh, lettuce, tomato) Wrap. It wasn't on par with some I've had before (see Aux Vivres in Montreal) but it was adequate. My wife's juice (concoction of orange, grapefruit and ginger) was outstanding!

Dessert deserves a paragraph all to its own. We stuffed ourselves silly. The display case up front is just too tantalizing! We tried two different vegan cheesecakes (pumpkin and strawberry) and a 'peanut butter, chocolate bomb.' The cheesecakes were a little more firm than some of the vegan cheesecakes I've had in the past. That the pumpkin outdid the strawberry was our consensus. The chocolate & peanut butter bomb was superb - we salivate at the thought of it, still.

Teany is a little place that makes a really big impact. Visit!

Pros: Prices, Charming, Desserts!

YuliyaGuliya8
YuliyaGuliya8

Wish I lived down the street

4 Posted on 05 / 15 / 2013

We were visiting from out of town and found this to be a great lunch place. It is cozy, with great atmosphere and a nice, diverse menu. The owner was the sweetest man and was very hospitable. Our food was delicious (the ravioli were oh-so-good) and the pie (oh, the pie) was to die for. Vegan cheesecake (pumpkin flavor) was the bomb! And that peanut butter/chocolate bomb was so good, i wanted to take all of them home. Would definitely recommend to anyone visiting NYC.

Pros: food!, atmosphere, dessert
Cons: smaller venue, can fill up fast
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

excellent!

5 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2012

We spent 2 months in nyc and this was one of our regular spots. The vegan cakes and vegan cheesecakes are out of this world! Great coffee. We often get the vegan ravioli which is excellent. All day breakfast too

Pros: tons of vegan stuff, vegan cakes
Vegan Vagabond
Vegan Vagabond

Best tiramisu in the known universe

4 Posted on 09 / 30 / 2012

Aside from the food, which was exceptional, the desserts were all vegan and the tiramisu was exceptional. Normally, vegan tiramisu just doesn't cut it. Usually, the come up with a tiramisu-like substance, but not tiramisu. This tiramisu was outstanding. Hats off!

Pros: Varied Menu, Good Food, Mostly Vegan
Cons: Somewhat slow service
fanciful bean
fanciful bean

OMG mock chicken salad!

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2012

Went to Teany on a recent visit to New York. Had the "chick'n salad" salad. I don't know what they put in it, but it was delicious! My husband also had an amazing burger. I would definitely visit there again.

Veggie Salvadorean
Veggie Salvadorean

Big Teany Improvements Needed

2 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2011

I ate at Teany during the evening of the snow storm NYC couldn't handle in December 2010. It was a great evening for tea and food, but I was let down by the ambiance and service.

I tried the blood orange tea, and at $5.50 is reasonably priced! Compared to other tea houses I've visited, the overall price of the teas was worth it. The blood orange tea was amazing! It had large chunks of orange peel and other herbal flowers, and other goodies.

The food I tried was the lentil-bean soup and the vegan lasagna. While both tasty, the soup had a little too much pepper spices for my liking.

So why only a rating of 2 cows? For one, the service was rather drab. I don't know if it's typical New York attitude, but I felt as if I was interrupting her life. She didn't offer to refill the pot of tea, took a while to drop the check after I finished my meal, and didn't even collect my plates when I signed my check. The Teany seats some 30 people, and there was only another couple dining. Also, while it's understandable that each person can do as they wish concenring smoking habits, I thought it was very inappropriate that she smoked in the enclosed outside awning. Yes, I could've let that one slide because of the snow storm, but the smell of cigarette was seeping through the cafe.

Also, the music played in the cafe was unnecessarily loud. So loud that the server and her coworker remarked of they should turn down the music because the bass overwhelming the speakers. Even when they turned down the music, it was still loud.

In sum, I can't justify a return to this cafe. Mundane attitudes and uncomfortable eating/drinking environments aren't for me when it comes to dining out.

Pros: Tea, Good value tea
Cons: Service, Ambiance
cynthia75
cynthia75

Sad news

2 Posted on 09 / 04 / 2010

The first time I went to Teany was about 5 years ago and it was really nice. The staff were adorable, the food was excellent, the crowd was bustling etc. Oh, and the vegan cakes were fantasic. As were the tea sandwiches. Well, that is all gone. The reopening happened and the cafe didn't. It was tragic. The atmosphere was sterile, the staff were drab and awkward, and last but not least the cake I had was no where near the delicious cake of old. The only thing that seemed the same was the tea and that's because it is the same packaged Teany brand. We were excruciatingly disappointed at the obvious changing of ownership and death of an old favorite.

Sprout
Sprout

Best chicken salad I've had!

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

I had a lovely lunch here. I loved the enormous tea selection, and went with the honeybush vanilla--a great choice! I also enjoyed the chicken salad sandwich. It was, hands down, the best chicken salad I've had. The server was very nice and I liked the atmosphere. Sadly, I did not have room for dessert, but they looked incredible. A reason to go back! This is a great relaxed lunch or tea spot.

Pros: great tea selection, dee-lish chicken salad, nice staff
julianne
julianne

love it!!

5 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2010

Teeny is teeny tiny but you can fit alot of good stuff in this little place!!

Everytime I'm in New york I go here. I have sat inside with a warming cup of yummy tea and snow half way up the window and then outside in the sun with more tea and any time of year it is great.

I always pig out on the cakes they are great. They always have cupcakes that I take away.

The quiche is great too.

Infact it is all great!! I like to sit for ages reading about all the teas and try a different one everytime!

The staff are friendly and if it is busy there is usually not too long a wait for a table.

It is good value for money too.

The decor is fresh and fabulous and I love it here!!

Pros: tea, food, atmosphere
Cons: busy on weekend
veggiegoth
veggiegoth

great place for lunch

4 Posted on 03 / 23 / 2010

teany is a nice small cafe that has an enormous tea selection which are very good. i enjoyed their turkey club sandwich once. all the other times i have gone there were for tea and a snack of some sort. friendly staff.

lilmammal
lilmammal

Yummy and oh so cute

5 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2009

Great place for lunch. Light and lovely atmosphere. The food was fantastic. I had the vegan turkey club and my husband had the vegan quice with bolognese sauce. AMAZING! Hands down, that turkey club was the best vegan take on a meat sandwich I've had. I had the masala chai tea which I recommend. The coffee enjoyed by my husband was good too. We finished off the meal with chocolate/peanut butter mousse cake. So good. Moderately priced.

Pros: delicious, vegan, atmosphere
Cons: small space
philjdomm
philjdomm

small but quiant

3 Posted on 06 / 23 / 2008

went there twice. perfect spot for afternoon tea or lunch.
had: bagel bacon and turkey club sandwhich.
dessert cupcake of mint choco was awesome.
ice tea looks more like lemonade.

JillianaXJawbreaker
JillianaXJawbreaker

I go to Teany every time I'm in New York

5 Posted on 05 / 05 / 2008

It's my absolute favorite restaurant in New York City. Actually, it is my favorite restaurant, period! It is very small, but I'm very small =] Their teas and food are amazing and I love just about everything about it! It's very casual and relaxing even when there are a bunch of people there. Everyone I've met that works there is very friendly and helpful. I tell anyone who is veg or openminded to veg food, to go to Teany!

Pros: amazing food, great selection of teas, friendly employees
Cons: small space, somewhat hard to find
andrea
andrea

Best Cake and Tea!

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2008

Came for dessert one night and the chocolate cake w/peanut butter mousse is probably the best vegan cake I've ever had! The peach tea was incredible too.

Loved it so much we came the next day for lunch. Three different sandwiches, all were great. Got the chocolate "cheesecake," which was bland and disappointing. (You shoulda warned us Eli!) The teas are so great and the prices are pretty reasonable, except for the crazy $2 cup fee. Don't bother sharing, just get your own pot. I didn't see the fee on the menu, so it was a little annoying.

It's a great fun place, don't miss it. We were so lucky, our friend's apt. was 2 blocks away.

Pros: Friendly service!, Reasonable prices
Cons: Watch out for cup fee, Pretty crowded space
breathingwater
breathingwater

Uber Amazing!

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2008

I was so excited to go! I order a sandwhich but got the salad version of it. It was so good I didn't say anything about the mix up. The chocolate cake is real competition for Wheel of Life's (Irvine, CA) amazing cake. The prices were really good and the tea is amazing. The servers were really friendly and the woman who helped me pick out tea was so helpful. I went home from my trip with lots of tea to keep me warm. It's such a cute place I can't wait to go back!

Pros: Food, Teas, Chocolate Cake
Cons: Not in my home state!
dinakourda
dinakourda

Cute and Tastey

5 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2007

My mom and I came here for high tea. It was really good. The portions were generous. The service was excellent and the food was fresh. I did speak to Moby later that night at the Duran Duran show on Broadway - he doesn't own Teany anymore - his ex-girlfriend has taken it over.

Pros: Tasty fare and friendly service, Fair prices, Very cute
Cons: Cash Only, Little Crowded, Not Vegan
Erin P.
Erin P.

Awesome Vegan Desserts

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2007

I have to rave on the desserts. My husband got the peanut butter chocolate cake and it was heavenly. Couldn't be better. I got the strawberry shortcake and it was wonderful though it definitely needed more strawberries. Teas were great. Great atmosphere, we lucked out and got a table right away. I wish I had time to try out their tea sandwiches, but I can at least say the desserts were totally worth the visit!

Pros: great food, good atmosphere
Cons: small
condekedar
condekedar

Cute, quiet, nice place

4 Posted on 09 / 08 / 2007

Teany offers an extensive tea and juice menu with light snacks and foods. They were out of their desserts when we went, so we settled for light, smooth ice tea and an absolutely delectable drink, teanychino, which we had with almond milk. It was light years ahead of every day chai lattes in terms of taste and refinement. Their chai latte was extremely understated and good, but paled in comparison to the teanychino. This is, in the end, a great place to get a late afternoon snack or drink.

Pros: Wide tea selection, Iced teas, Ambience
Cons: Out of stock desserts
michal
michal

all deserts are vegan!

4 Posted on 07 / 31 / 2007

not too many vegan options but it's a lovely little place, leave room for desert! and great mimosas!

Nickysr
Nickysr

Cupcake Heaven!

4 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2007

Teany is great for afternoon tea, the sandwiches are tasty and the cakes are fab. teany really is tiny though so you may have to queue to get in. Most (all?) of the cakes are vegan and some sandwiches (the tofurky club was good) but the menu has lots for vegetarians too.

Pros: cakes, cakes, cakes!
beelover
beelover

Worth the hype

5 Posted on 11 / 22 / 2006

I have been hearing about this place for a few years now and I am so glad I finally made it there. The teanychino is out of this world! We had lunch there with two non-vegans and they loved it. One had the "blt" and swore he would never eat the meated version again after tasting how good it was. I had the quiche and a scone that were delicious. The place was small but a perfect scale to feel comfortable in. You really should try this place!

Pros: Delicious food, Great tea, happy people
sparkly_ruth
sparkly_ruth

I love Teany!

4 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2006

I've been to Teany 3 times - once last July & twice last December. The food is always yummy & the staff seemed helpful. The Teany turkey club sandwich is delicious! The outside terrace is also fab in the summer - you must visit here when in NYC (just round the corner from the fab vegan shoe shop Moo Shoos too :) )

Pros: Great food, Nice ambience, Good value for money
Cons: Can get busy

Dear Owner and Manager of TeaNY: