Malta vegetarian restaurant. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Middle Eastern, International
Vittoriosa Marina, Vittoriosa
Vittoriosa, Malta
+356-21-808828

Call for hours - tell us

First Review by Sapphire
Timforanimals1
Timforanimals1

excellent menu and beautiful location

Posted on 09 / 26 / 2014

Great choices, friendly staff and the night time lit up forts and buildings make this a great experience. Friendly staff and plenty to choose from, went back three times ! Prices were great compared to UK and Australia prices for such an amazing location

Pros: location , menu entirely veg, friendly staff
Cons: bright building spot lights a bit blinding
scareglow
scareglow

not bad for Malta, currently the only veggie place

Posted on 01 / 26 / 2014

We've been there on several occasions and the food was always very good. It's currently the only vegetarian place in Malta as far as I know. We had a lot of annoying and tiring experiences ordering vegetarian or vegan options at local restaurants (discussions about "why, we don't know what we are missing and it doesn't taste good without...") so Tate is a nice change.
The food is good and they have a nice range of dishes to chose from from.

Like some other reviewers on some days we went there we also have literally been ignored (waitresses chatting and not coming to take or order even though they clearly saw us) and/or had to wait 30min until we could even order, or go to the counter and specifically tell them that we want to order, but that seems to be a cultural thing here.

Pros: good food, nice selection, nice location
Cons: pricy, maltese customer service
StuartFoxbaseAlpha
StuartFoxbaseAlpha

Tate - vittoriosa, Malta

Posted on 12 / 29 / 2013

I am surprised by some of these reviews - the service s certainly improved since then. We ate there several times, great setting, all vegetarian, lots of vegan. The staff will offer alternative to make meal vegan (they offered to substitute the tzatziki with babaganoush).
Really lovely. Go there :)

Pros: Service, Views, Choice

vegan_ryan
vegan_ryan

Good food, but a bit pricey

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2013

This place does not advertise that they are vegetarian. They just blend in with the other restaurants along the waterfront, and we watched several families get tired of waiting in long lines from other restaurants and come to Tate, instead. I think it's a good plan.

The service was a bit slow, but the food is quite good - despite being pricey for my standards, it seemed average in the area. I would go back again, if it were a special occasion.

Pros: All-veg, Blends in with locals
Cons: Semi-slow, Pricey
pcpcpc
pcpcpc

Nice place, big meals

Posted on 10 / 27 / 2012

I ate lasagne, it was big and full of veggies; had a lot of cheese and oil on it. Wife had "Asian TATE", which was noodles and vegetables, but not much veggies, good flavour in the noodles.

Pros: Generous serving size, Waterfront location, Variety of dishes
Alexasmum
Alexasmum

Fantastic experience

Posted on 09 / 14 / 2012

My family and I holidayed in Vittoriosa, Malta, from 21-28 August 2012 and were delighted to find the Tate Cafe Bar literally 2 minutes walk from our apartment.

Having already researched vegetarian restaurants before we travelled, I had intended to seek it out but was then put off by some negative reviews.

However, after trying ordinary restaurants on the first few nights, my Husband and I were desperate for some decent vegetarian options other than pasta or pizza so we finally made it to the Tate.

Firstly, it is one of several restaurants all beside each other so is easy to miss. The location is stunning as it overlooks the Marina which is crammed with yachts of all sizes - very good for people watching!

Our party consisted of my 3 year old pescatarian daughter, my omnivore mother and my husband and I who are more vegan than vegetarian.

After much deliberation, we chose a few starters between us, thinking that the wraps we had selected for our main course would be on the small side. Big mistake! Our main courses arrived and they were enormous! We ended up taking half home and having them for lunch the next day.

I can honestly say that both the starters and main courses were absolutely delicious and I have since tried the re-create the wraps with only reasonable success.

The service was excellent with very polite and attentive staff and we all thoroughly enjoyed our experience. Even my mother loved it!

If we had had more time, we would definitly have tried it again as the menu was inventive and not overly priced.

The funny thing is that there is no indication when you find the restaurant, that it is actually vegetarian. The menu is the only give-away.

I would highly recommend this restaurant on every level and wish we had one in Northern Ireland.

Pros: Excellent food, Varied menu, Attentive service
Chris Phillips Vegan
Chris Phillips Vegan

EXCELLENT

Posted on 07 / 16 / 2012

My wife & I went there three times in 5 days that we were in Malta, once with some non veggie friends. Lovely food, (We are Vegans) helpful and understanding staff. GOOD VALUE too, also choice, HIGHLY recommend to all.

veggie pig
veggie pig

Excellent food and fantastic setting

Posted on 11 / 01 / 2009

This is Malta's first and only vegetarian and Vegan restaurant. We visited last week (oct 09) when in Vittoriosa. The owners were great and our table booking was changed when we arrived without ay problem. The food and the ambiance was excellent - much local food and other world dishes. The service was prompt and efficient and the setting perfect.
Other reviewers seem to have seen a different restaurant to us! We met and chatted with the owners who are strict vegetarians and committed to providing food in Malta that will allow the Maltese to accept and embrace the idea of vegetarianism. From the other customers there - it seems to be working. Good luck to them.
I would definitely return here and recommend to anyone who wants quality food without meat or fish in Malta.

Pros: Fantastic setting, Excellent food, The only vegetarian place in Malta!
Guest
Guest

A WONDERFUL EVENING AT TATE cafe - MALTA

Posted on 03 / 13 / 2009

Being a non vegetarian, TATE cafe in Malta is the first restaurant i have been to, had a wonderful dining experience and yet not realised that all i had was vegetarian! This place is truely recommended to all!

I was on holiday with my wife and four other couples, this February 2009. My wife had arranged my birthday bash at TATE Restaurant. TATE is situated in this superb unique location in the Grand Harbour facing the super yachts. We later discovered that it is Maltas first and only pure vegetarian restaurant. The restaurant is certainly seemed a very trendy upmarket joint, owned by young vegetarian, indian lady.
The service at TATE was prompt and first class. Despite it being a busy Thursday evening, our waiter took very good care of us. It was obvious this place was popular with young to middle aged who came for good food and wine.The place was buzz about it..
We were five couples and were all seated outside under the arch. The manager, an ederly happy gentleman greeted us and frequently poped over to see that all was fine. The vegetarian menu is vast, with a choice of fusion foods from several continents. Our starter ranged from Bruschetta Vittoriosa (aptly named after the city), indian samosas to japanes tempura and mexican tacos. The plates were very well and professionally presented. The portions very generous , that we all wondered whether we even needed the main course!
The waiter had guided us throuth the menu and recommended the specials of the day. We had some wonderful fresh hot lasange, freshly made raviolli, tortilli and moroccon vegetable targine with couscous. The food was just simply delicious! They we so artistically presented and eye-catching. The food was accompanied by good local maltese wine. Again, portions are very generous, and very reasonably priced.
Deserts were to die for, with the colourful selection of cakes and fresh fruit salad.
We truely THANK TATE for a super evening and a Birthday meal i wont forget!.
What is important to note is that all five couples were NON VEGETARIAN, and none of us realised that it was a vegetarian restaurant, till we were half way through our main courses. We certainly didnt miss the meat! This is a credit to the restaurant, as it did not force vegatarinism upon us, but discreetly showed us , how wonderful pure vegetarian food can be!
Thank You TATE , you will certainly see us again.

Pros: Excellent Food, Generous portions, Good and friendly staff
Stevie
Stevie

Tate Cafe Bar, Malta

Posted on 12 / 28 / 2008

The cafe is in a beautful setting with magnificent views. There is plenty to choose from on the menu and my dining companion (a non veggie relative who had been prepared to give veggie food a try) and I ordered. Service was prompt and courteous and food came along in what I'd describe as normal time that I would expect to wait. The food was great, the wine very pleasant, the portions enormous (as seem to happen all over Malta) and all for 51 euros - decent value for 2 courses each plus a bottle of wine and coffees.
Then it all went wrong.
I asked where I could get a cab back to Valletta. The waiter (a young guy with dark hair in case anyone goes) said he would telephone one for us.

The transportation (a darkish coloured car) arrived and off we went. The driver had never heard of the Grand Harbour Hotel and didnt know where it was (there's a clue in the name perhaps?). He got lost. Eventually we came along a street that I recognised and we decided to get out there and walk the rest of the way rather than be driven there by the clueless driver we had. He had driven round for a long time with not the 1st idea on where he was. There was no meter in the car I noticed and the driver wanted 20 euros. Pretty extortionate when you consider that the cab from the airport was only 17 euros. Plus there were no 'taxi' markings on the car. My relative would now never go back to Tate even if there was nowhere else in the world to get food. I share the sentiment.

The point that I am trying to make from this is as follows. The person who the waiter or whoever it was that rang the guy to take us home - there's no way this guy was any sorted of a 'real' taxi driver or chauffeur. He had no idea on directions to a long established 7 storey hotel located at one of the best known landmarks in Malta. We said it was near the fish market, he still had no idea. Also for someone supposed to make a living from ferrying people around in a car, the pile of clutter in the back seat didn't give the impression that this guy did this as his real job. This was just a rip off.

I mentioned this to one of the girls in the tourist office in Valletta. She said, "The waitor probably rang a relative". She also told us all the taxis in Malta are white (see comment above on the colour of the car).
Not nice feeling ripped off.
This website will only let me give a rating of 2 as the lowest possible rating. If I could I would rate this place as 0

Cons: Rip off transport
Sapphire
Sapphire

We never got to eat

Posted on 09 / 18 / 2008

We have never been disappointed with a vegetarian restaurant till now.

We were at this restaurant a total of one and three quarter hours and never got to eat.

We chose a table outside and sat there for about 10 minutes before it started to rain. We moved tables to undercover and waited to be served. After about 15 minutes I went looking for a menu and we waited again for some service. Eventually we told one of the waiters we were ready to order. We waited another 15 minutes and a waitress came over to take our order. She advised us there would be a long wait, about 30 minutes. She said we mustn't complain that it was a long time as we had been told and that she knew the English were impatient. We said we didn't mind as she had informed us.

Our waitress delivered our soft drinks and that was the last contact we had with anybody for the next hour although we tried to get their attention.

The tables around us gradually cleared as people came, ate or drank and left and we were still waiting. We didn't want to seem impatient after what the waitress had said so we waited, thinking every time the servers came out with dishes it was bound to be ours this time but it never was.

We started watching more carefully and suspected people were coming in and ordering and being served meals while we were still waiting. At first we thought maybe they were just having drinks which is why they were being served quicker but some were eating.

An hour and 5 minutes after taking our order, our waitress came up to us again and said what good patient English customers we were and our meal wouldn't be long now.

However just after that we saw the people at the table next to us and the table behind being served their meal and they had come to their tables no more than 20 minutes previously. We pointed this out to the nearest server and said we would be leaving, and left the money for our drinks on the table.

It is our opinion the local customers were being served in preference to us as most of the customers appeared to be Maltese.

I would be interested to read other reviews as maybe we were just unlucky.

Pros: Nice location
Cons: Appalling service, Disinterested servers, Uncaring attitude
  • Jeffrey Jeffrey

Hi Sapphire, it sounds like you had a pretty lousy experience at this place. I don't know if I will try it or not after reading this!

Dear Owner and Manager of Tate Cafe Bar: