Taste of the Orient

Serves meat, veg options available. Little yum cha place with a dedicated section on the menu for vegetarian items. Spring rolls, dim sum, desserts, gluten free, and house made dumpling. Please confirm if there are vegan options and let HappyCow know. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Cantonese, Take-out, Non-veg
223 Barker St
Castlemaine, Victoria 3450
03-54705465

Open Thur-Sat 11am-8:30pm, Sun 11am-3pm.

First Review by cupcakes6
RichardHall
RichardHall

Dumpling Heaven

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2012

I worked extensively throughout South East Asia for years, so I would consider myself a seasoned Dumpling Man...And the Taste Of The Orient...Serves the best I have ever had...You can taste the flavors, the freshness and there are quite a few choices for Vegans... My friend and I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch here and will return again and again...

Pros: Vegan Friendly, Friendly Staff, Fresh Food
Greysocialist
Greysocialist

The best spring rolls ever

4 Posted on 05 / 02 / 2012

The food here is beautifully prepared and cooked in sight, so you know it is fresh. Joe is a wonderful chef and Rebecca and the rest of the staff are extremely friendly. Don't forget to tell them you saw them on Happy Cow as it will encourage them to increase the vegetarian options. We are locals and eat there often - or buy from them at the Castlemaine Farmers Market on the first Saturday of the month or at other events where they have their mobile stall. One of our recent visitors said she'd had the best spring rolls she'd ever had - because they are not greasy, well-filled and absolutely delicious. So for a cheap, quick, nutritious and delicious meal - Taste of the Orient stands out in a street of cafes and restaurants.

Pros: simple, nutritious food, delicious!, great staff
Cons: small - but some tables on the pavement
cupcakes6
cupcakes6

Yummy Yum Cha!

4 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

My husband and I stopped at Taste of the Orient for lunch on our roadtrip through regional Victoria. We had read a review mentioning the vegetarian options and were keen to give them a try. The food was amazing- fresh, tasty, not too greasy, and delicious! The owners were very friendly and said they were planning to expand the vegetarian menu soon.

Pros: great food, friendly staff, outside seating
Cons: a bit small, not open every day

Dear Owner and Manager of Taste of the Orient: