Serves meat, veg options available. Thai restaurant. Offers vegetarians option of tofu, vegetables, or vegan mock chicken in most dishes. BYOB. Previously located on W State St. Price: Moderate more-less
Thai, Delivery, Non-veg

First Review by siki
jenly
jenly

just terrible

2 Posted on 08 / 12 / 2014

My family ate lunch here in the late afternoon, just before the shift over to dinner hours. The restaurant wasn't full and the very stained carpet was readily apparent. That, plus the smell of insecticide in the entrance way, caused me to pause but we were propelled onward by the four stars on happycow. Once our appetizers arrived, I knew we had made a mistake. The spring rolls that arrived were dark and extremely greasy. From there, things got worse as our soups and entrees were barely lukewarm. Even if the food had been hot, it wouldn't have been particularly good. The tofu was all the pre-fried kind and most of the dishes looked identical--tofu, onion and lots of bell peppers even though we ordered a variety of dishes. I swear there were about four noodles in the drunken noodle dish.
The dishes we enjoyed most were the fried tofu appetizer, the fried banana dessert and the pad thai. Actually, one of my kids liked the pad thai but to me it tasted exactly like the kind in the reheat packet.

I did not know beforehand this was a chain restaurant so to me that explains everything. By the time our meal was over I was really disappointed we decided to eat there. We have been on vacation for several days now and we were looking forward to a good meal. We could have selected a different restaurant and gotten a better meal but instead we unwittingly chose one of the worst Thai meals we've eaten.
I figure the reason this place stays in business is because it is super cheap. We wound up paying about fifteen dollars per person (including tax and tip) for shared appetizers, soups, several entrees and the banana dessert.
I apologize in advance for the typos and bad grammar but I am submitting this review from my phone because I feel the four cows are completely unjustified and I want to alert everyone who considers this restaurant.

Pros: fried banana dessert, inexpensive
Cons: lukewarm, flavorless food, charmless decor with stained carpet
DaisytheHedgehog
DaisytheHedgehog

I order this weekly.

4 Posted on 01 / 04 / 2012

I'm a vegan college student, and I order Taste of Thai's green curry with tofu and the tofu todd (fried tofu with chili sauce) every friday!! The curries are amazing, and Taste of Thai express no longer uses fish sauce in any of its curries. I always ask about fish sauce at the eat-in restaurant and have never had a problem. This is my favorite food in Ithaca!

Pros: Delicious tofu, Delivers, Nice atmosphere
Cons: None!
elles_belles
elles_belles

Pretty good

3 Posted on 12 / 25 / 2011

I really enjoyed the cashew chicken with tofu substituted for chicken. The sauce was sweet and flavorful.

BroccoliBottom
BroccoliBottom

Rocks My World

4 Posted on 08 / 27 / 2009

This restaurant rocks my world! I usually tell people I don't like Thai food, but this place is the one exception to that. I love it! Just be careful if you have peanut allergies b/c they're in MANY of the dishes, even some not labeled.

Pros: variety, price, value
Cons: long waits
siki
siki

Lots and lots of vegan options

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2009

This place is great -- good, fresh food using local ingredients, including local, organic tofu, and they will happily substitute tofu or mock duck (seitan) in just about anything. Be sure to inquire about fish sauce, some of the dishes can't be made without it. Lunch is a great deal.

Dear Owner and Manager of Taste of Thai Express: