TAP - a Gastropub

Serves meat, veg options available. Some items can be made Vegan (mostly side items) and still are clearly marked on the menu. Chips and salsa can be vegan without the cheese. No longer offers vegan desserts. Some ingredients on the menu are organic. Atmosphere is modern bar, casual dress code. Wi-fi, beer bar, live music Fridays, trivia Tuesdays. Note: Reported that fries are fried in same frier as fish, please confirm and inform HappyCow. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Rebecca Byrd
shakes13t
shakes13t

• raw

Changed menu, very few options

2 Posted on 04 / 14 / 2013

We ordered everything vegan on the menu and it was barely a dinner. They had some dips, olives, fries, boiled peanuts and a veggie plate with cucumber salad, pickled beets and very sweet Brussels sprouts.
The food was okay, salty and tangy to go with the beer, but not great on its own, and not a meal.
Decor is nice, very interesting, especially the bathrooms. Staff was great. Extensive, varied beer list. I wouldn't be surprised if this place had great non-veg food, but for a veg-friendly place, I think it's lacking.

Pros: Beer, Staff, Decor
Cons: Food
eesworthy
eesworthy

Good food but buyer beware!

2 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

My husband and I went to Tap last night for dinner. I have recently dropped the dairy from my lacto-ovo diet, and was excited to try the many vegan options after reading the review here and also looking at their menu on line. My husband, an omnivore, and I shared the Eggplant-Daiya app. It was delicious. I loved the flavor profile, the consistence and the balsamic dressed greens that accompanied the eggplant. I also ordered the portabella mushroom sandwich with no goat cheese or lemon ailoi, along with the white bean ragout (marked by an asterisk as vegan appropriate on the menu) as my entree.

The meal came out and smelled delicious. The mushroom, zucchini and onions on the sandwich were very good...well cooked without becoming a mushy mess. The ragout was good, but I noticed something that had an odd texture. I took it out of my mouth and it was a piece of crispy pork.

After speaking with the manager, I was informed that the dish *can* be made vegan, but that it is an option, not the standard way that the kitchen prepares it. It was sent back and a vegan version was brought out. The dish was quite good, but I left annoyed.

After ordering the vegan app and a veggie sandwich with no dairy, the server absolutely should have offered up the information that the dish needs to be specifically requested to be made vegan. She was unapologetic and basically left me feeling as if it was my fault for not specifying that the dish should be prepared vegan...EVEN THOUGH THE MENU INDICATED THAT IT IS A VEGAN OPTION!

The manager, Emma, came over while the vegan ragout was being prepared. She was apologetic and, as a vegetarian herself, indicated that the staff will be trained to clarify the menu. As the restaurant offers no vegan deserts, she offered my husband and I cappuccinos made with almond milk.

I would say that the food was good, that the management was good but that the serving staff clearly needs to be trained a little better...especially if the menu is going to be ambiguous.

Pros: Vegan options, Innovative dishes, Atmosphere
Cons: Uneducated staff, Misleading menu
Rebecca Byrd
Rebecca Byrd

a FUN place to get vegan food in the city

4 Posted on 10 / 18 / 2011

My husband and I brought some relatives here on October 14, 2011. I immediately loved the atmosphere. Lively, urban, relaxed, attractive and tasteful decor, lots of windows, lots of light but still good mood lighting too, a bit noisy but not too noisy, casual, laid-back but also sophisticated. The valet parking is complimentary and your tips go to charity, so that was a nice plus. The menu is literally tiny (cute little hand-sized book) and not overwhelming, with a sufficient selection that is easy to size up with a glance. Best of all, vegan items are denoted on the menu with an asterisk, making them easy to find, and our server was very knowledgable about ingredients of various dishes. We had seitan with veggies over jasmine rice and a delicious eggplant roll entree that incorporated Daiya cheese and sundried tomatoes, so good! They have multiple vegan appetizers and side dishes that were delicious...warm potato salad, pommes frites, the chips and salsa, hummus, hot boiled peanuts, olives, etc....delicious and abundant choices! Their menu is online -- just google "tap atlanta." The live band started playing as the sun went down and were great, whoever they were, and again, not too overly noisy in there. You could talk to your friends without having to scream (which I hate having to do), although the volume level was pretty high on a Friday night, as expected. Unfortunately, there were no vegan desserts offered. They did have a nice selection of Belgian beers on tap, which are also vegan. I cannot describe how charming this place was to me, regardless of the buzzing busyness of it, which sometimes I'm not in the mood for. I will definitely be coming back again later. They supposedly have trivia on Tuesday nights which I may come back for, and always live music on Fridays. If you are vegan in Atlanta and wanting to try a new place, you have GOT to try this one! Price-wise, it is reasonable, you can check out the prices on the menu online before you go.

Pros: Vegan denoted on menu, knowledgeable staff, great atmosphere
Cons: a little noisy, valet can be slow, no vegan dessert

Dear Owner and Manager of TAP - a Gastropub: