Serves meat, veg options available. Typcial little Mexican burrito joint but for a large selection of vegetarian dishes. As the sign says, not just bean/cheese burritos here: vegan calabacitas, soy chorizo, soy machaca, soy verde, and rice-based horchata. Makes its own tortillas and corn chips. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Fast food, Take-out, Mexican, Non-veg

Mon-Sat 7:00am-6:00pm, Sun 7:00am-3:00pm

First Review by amarello
cottrellbentley
cottrellbentley

Love their vegan fish tacos--made w/ cauliflower

Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

This food is fun! My family and I love this little restaurant. We've had take-out and eat-in. I'd give this a 5-stars if Happy Cow would let me (max of 4 for non-veg restaurants).

The people who work here know what vegan means and happily offer suggestions and accommodations. We've never had them mess up. The food tastes amazing. Not all of it is super healthy though (e.g. the fried items), but it all tastes great. They also have very authentically Mexican foods, which many other places don't. This is a nice treat.

Their mock meats vary, as they all taste very much like their meat counterpart. Be warned of this if you don't like the taste. Relish in it if you do! :)

Pros: Wonderful rich flavors, Knows what is vegan!, Great vegan options
Cons: Hours aren't the easiest for me, Not super healthy food, Sometimes runs out of ingredients
karenoxoxox
karenoxoxox

SOOOOO GOOD!!

Posted on 11 / 19 / 2013

My boyfriend and I ate here tonight on our way through Tucson, on the recommendation of some vegan friends who also stop here on their way through Tucson. This place is amazingly delicious! The best darn flour tortillas I've had in quite a while. I built my own burrito with beans and potatoes, lettuce, tomato, guacamole, salsa, etc. My boyfriend got the soy chorizo and potato breakfast burrito. (Yes, they actually serve breakfast burritos all day long!)I also got a cup of tortilla soup (has potatoes in it). The cup of soup was ONLY $2!! The food literally made me "ooh" and "ahh" throughout my meal. All of their burritos - and their menu is quite extensive - come in various sizes (Small, Regular/Medium, Large, and X-Large) and prices (from $3 to $9). Very affordable! The place kinda looks like a dive, but who cares? The food is amazing and the staff was exceptionally sweet and knowledgeable about vegan food.

I would love to give the place 5 stars (or cows), but Happy Cow only allows for 4 since they serve meat. In any case, they have my highest rating!

Pros: Inexpensive, Delicious
Cons: The place looks a bit run down
burritomath
burritomath

The best vegan Mexican food ever?

Posted on 07 / 31 / 2013

I had to make that a question because I truly don't know if Tanias is the best Mexican food ever. What I do know is that it is amazingly good, and that is saying something so close to the Mexican border. Rudy is amazing. He is a character and that adds to the charm of the place. The food never disappoints. They are so many vegan options it can be a fun to try something new every time I go back. My current favorite is the soya verde burrito, with rice and cilantro y onions added.

I truly cannot believe how flexible they are when ordering. You can BYOB (build your own burrito) and it has always worked well for me. The soy chorizo is just spiced enough without being overwhelming. The salsa, let me just say that I love their salsa. They now give me extra salsa without even asking.

There are two negatives. One, is an unsubstantiated rumor that their guacamole comes frozen and is not made in house. I have not asked Rudy about it because everything else is just that good. The second and most important negative is that they close at 6 pm. I can barely make there after work!

Happy cow's new rating system and only letting me give them 4 cows is disappointing. This place has so many vegan options it will make your head spin. I have been to vegan restaurants with less vegan options, worse service, and worse atmosphere but happy cow wants me to give them a similar rating simply because they are vegan. That isn't fair to Tanias.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday July 31, 2013

Pros: price, portions, Rudy
Cons: hours, hours, hours

amarello
amarello

'Authentic' vegan Mexican food!

Posted on 02 / 21 / 2012

I put authentic in quotes because food in Mexico (at least in rural areas) is pretty heavy on lard and meat. I haven't been back since going vegan, but I imagine it will be a challenge :-)

This place, however, was a very pleasant surprise. I love Mexican food and am pretty tired of Chipotle burritos. This little joint has a HUGE selection of vegan and vegetarian options, which they are clearly proud of (and should be). We went for breakfast and had some great Soy Chorizo & Potato burritos. I look forward to returning for lunch and trying out their Calabacitas and Soya Verde burritos. They also have a pretty good selection of grab-n-go burritos and tamales in the fridge and sell some of their burrito fillings by the gallon if you're throwing a party. Best vegan Mexican food I've had here yet.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Dear Owner and Manager of Tanias 33 Dos Mundos: