CLOSED: Tanama Juice Bar

Located inside Tanama Yoga Studio, juice bar menu is all vegetarian and a majority are vegan. Also serves a variety of salads, side dishes, main dishes, healthy drinks, and sweet things. Free Wi-fi. JUN 2013 REPORTED SHUT DOWN/CLOSED. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, American, Western, Juice bar
305 Calle Recinto Sur, San Juan (Old San Juan, in front of Dona Fela Parking)
Puerto Rico, Caribbean 00901
787-510-5268

First Review by MikeV
sbermudez
sbermudez

Old San Juan Gem

5 Posted on 08 / 18 / 2012

I was visiting Puerto Rico with my boyfriend and sister and walking around Old San Juan when I found a nice sign depicting some vegetarian food specials for a "Juice Bar & Fitness Studio" named Tanama. I was unsure whether it was a restaurant or what they had to offer, but i was EXTREMELY intrigued. My boyfriend is vegetarian so I was very excited to find a vegetarian place of eating. The sign pointed for us to go up a couple flights of beautiful stairs, and we ended up in what looked like an art studio with a very nice decor that reminded me of european mixed with caribbean. Lots of nice paintings on the walls, and a very large sun room in front with windows open which made the entire place very nice, breezy, and cool during a hot day. We were greeted by a very nice gentleman who spoke both English and Spanish very well. My boyfriend asked for his recommendation on food, but the gentlemans response was: "I cannot give you a recommendation because here at Tanama, it is about what your body feels it wants, listen to what your body wants." (or something like that". It took us by surprise but it definitely made the experience at Tanama a great one. We ordered a few specials of crispy vegetarian pizza with a black bean spread (to die for) and a sesame encrusted tofu plate with various types of salads that tasted out of this world. It was incredible to see that all the food was prepared simply behind a small counter, all by this wonderful gentleman. I was expecting there to be a large kitchen in back, and many workers.. but no.. everything was fresh, made simply, and to the point. The lemon and cucumber infused water was so refreshing. The gentleman who helped us had such a peaceful and humble demeanor, I have never met someone who seemed so at peace with everything and spoke with such eloquence. He definitely helped make our vegetarian culinary journey experience at Tanama one to never forget! Not to mention, that the other guest who was also enjoying some food and beverages at Tanama was the Puerto Rican- famous singer Danny Rivera! My uncle who joined us was in awe of his presence there and we got to talk to him and shake is hand, he was also extremely pleasant. This is a place you have to visit!!!!!

Pros: Healthy, simple cuisine, Good value, Friendly, peaceful staff
Cons: No music
MikeV
MikeV

Veggie Heaven In the Big City

5 Posted on 08 / 07 / 2012

On a recent cruise, we were promised vegan food but instead all that was served up was the same dish night after night. We pulled into port in Old San Juan and searched the neighborhood for someplace vegetarian/vegan. A nondescript sign indicated that up a flight of stairs was a yoga studio and vegetarian restaurant. The space is Euro chic in an open, inviting and spaciously sunny way. The menu was simple and anything could easily be transformed to make a vegan option. All of the ingredients were fresh, vibrant, nutritious and filling and above all extremely tasty. The beverages were also made fresh from a variety of herbs and produce that cleanses and refreshes. The staff were incredibly attentive and helpful and this is a jewel not to be missed if going to Old San Juan. The overall experience was so good that I actually toyed with the idea of quitting the cruise and staying in the area for the week just to keep exploring all the great food on their menu.

Pros: Fresh, healthy cuisine, Excellent value, Very friendly staff
Cons: Upstairs, could easily be missed, Outside sign could be more eye catching

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Tanama Juice Bar: