Tamarind Vietnamese Grill a...

A small Vietnamese restaurant that converted to a vegetarian establishment in 2014. New pots, pans, and other equipment were purchased, and much of menu is vegan or can be made vegan. Try the vegetable-base pho. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Vietnamese
106 - 1111 6th Ave SW (dowtown)
Calgary, Alberta T2P5K1

cathalinag

Quite Amazing

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2015

Great food. All vegan food. Pad thai is quite good

Pros: Vegan, Good Selection, Delicious
Cons: Small
rlacroix156
rlacroix156

Best Vietnamese in Town

Posted on 02 / 20 / 2015

This place is amazing! Their restaurant is easily the best in the city for Vietnamese food. No matter what you do, you've got to try this place. Located at 106-1111 6th Ave SW Calgary AB T2P5K1 in a ground-floor suite. The cozy atmosphere is nice to go on a date or for lunch or dinner with friends. The owners really care about the food they make and the satisfaction of their customers. You will be disappointed. Their Pad Thai and stir fry's are unbelievably good.

Pros: Delicious, Personable Service, Cozy
23skidoo
23skidoo

Nice to have another vegan option in Calgary

Posted on 02 / 03 / 2015

Tamarind is a mostly-Vietnamese, vegan restaurant in downtown Calgary. Some dishes have faux meat and seafood.

I went there with some friends on a Saturday, and we ordered some spring rolls, a large soup, the Pad Thai, and a vermicelli noodle bowl.

The server was attentive, but the food was very slow to come out - at least 30 minutes for the last entree to arrive. He apologized and kept refilling our tea, so we were happy.

I liked the fresh spring rolls, and loved the noodle bowl. The star ingredient was the flavourful marinated grilled tofu, but also good were the fried spring rolls and glutens (seitan).

The soup was, to be honest, bland. The "fish cake" and "prawns" were very convincing (probably made with seaweed), but the vegetables didn't pick up any of the flavour from the light broth.

I've been told the service is usually much quicker, so I'll be going back to Tamarind for some vermicelli noodles.

Pros: All vegan, Some great dishes, Great location
Cons: Some dishes are bland, Small space, Food slow to come out

rajbbhatt
rajbbhatt

AMAZING, AMAZING AMAZING

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2014

Finally calgary has vegetarian options for vietnamese...and now a ALL VEGETARIAN place since October 2014.

The pho I had, Bun Hue, was super flavorful. Large bowl of soup that was just kick ass. SMall place but food quality was outstanding. Phung, the owner, was very kind and provided great smiling service!

Pros: All vegetarian, Great flavor, authentic, High quality ingredient
Cons: Small, May not be around for long, Downtown, no parking
vegetariangirl
vegetariangirl

My new favourite!

Posted on 11 / 10 / 2014

The new all veg menu is amazing. Almost everything is vegan and any vegetarian item can be made vegan. Exquisite flavours and fresh ingredients. The owners are so kind and friendly. It's a small and cozy place which offers fine in or take out. My favorited the Tamarind House Special Noodle Soup, wonderful flavour packed broth and tons of veggies and faux "meats"

JonFergus
JonFergus

Amazing Vegan Vietnamese Food!

Posted on 10 / 29 / 2014

Tamarind offers the best vegan cuisine I've ever tried. Had the vermicelli dish with spring rolls and "beef" strips, and it was absolutely delicious: top notch spices and flavours! The atmosphere is also lovely and the staff are very friendly. Had a great conversation with the owner, who is passionate about offering vegan and vegetarian fare—truly a case of following one's heart in business. :) Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys Vietnamese cuisine!

Pros: Delicious food!, Wonderful staff, almost entirely vegan menu
kimward8
kimward8

Great Vegan Pho

Posted on 10 / 25 / 2014

One thing I missed most from Vancouver was the good vegan pho. Now I can go to Tamarind! Most of the menu is vegan, and they can make anything on the menu vegan if you ask. My favourite thing was the regular tofu pho. The crispy noodles were also good. The owners are really friendly.

matpaul
matpaul

Awesome Veg Vietnamese Food

Posted on 10 / 21 / 2014

First Vietnamese place that is truly vegan and veg friendly that I have been to in the city. They had just switched the menu over to completely veg and it was unreal, even the mock meats are great. Authentic family run Vietnamese restaurant that is fully veg..... Highly recommended!

Pros: Taste, Pride, Authenticity
zthomson
zthomson

New Favourite

Posted on 07 / 18 / 2014

I am happy to say I added this restaurant to Happy Cow! I love Vietnamese food and have been to this restaurant three times now. The restaurant is quite small and the chairs are not very comfortable but do not feel dismay the food makes up for it. On my first visit I had the Vegan Satay Pho which was so flavourful and the tofu is the best I have ever had. The last two times I had the vegan sub and it is hands down the best sub I have ever had which includes the ones I had even when I ate meat. The vegetables are so fresh, the tofu is cooked to perfection, the bread is amazing, and the sauce in it is amazing I.
Today I met the owner of the restaurant who is very friendly. She sat down and talked to me about how she is Buddhist which means she is vegan. She is finding it hard to reach out to vegetarian/vegans so I hope that many of you see this restaurant and try it out because it really is great!
She told me that anything on the menu can be made vegan so definitely ask!

Pros: Excellent Food, Good Value , Friendly Staff
Cons: Small restaurant

Dear Owner and Manager of Tamarind Vietnamese Grill and Noodle House: