Serves meat, veg options available. Pescatarian restaurant that serves mostly vegan and organic food. Around 3 items on the a la carte menu are non-vegetarian; everything else including all the set meals are vegan. Also has a small grocery section, and holds cooking classes. Located in a quiet corner of Omotesando. Name in Japanese is たまな食堂, address 東京都港区南青山3-8-27. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

eatinggreen
eatinggreen

Missed the mark

3 Posted on 09 / 07 / 2014

When we arrived at this place we were feeling quite optimistic that it may just be our next big find. Unfortunately it was far from that.

The vibe is nice, with interiors crafted from natural materials, in subdued earthy tones with just the right balance between rustic and modern. The open kitchen is a nice touch but also lets it down, as the inside is not very stylish - approaches the realm of the banale suburban kitchen.

Service was below average. Staff were for the most part frumpy in manner and dull in appearance and on several occasions they demonstrated an overall lack of both competence and service orientation.

But it's the food we came for of course. And that was the clincher.

We ordered one of the more expensive courses - JPY6000+ each plus drinks. After a few non-alcoholic drinks each, the total bill somehow came to over JPY16,000 which found us a bit surprised. At this price point it's fair to expect a certain level of experience and in this case, it just wasn't there.

The genre is best described as fusion cuisine - not authentic Japanese but not really Western either. Fusion is fine, but it needs to be done well and unfortunately this wasn't. While we did appreciate some of the ideas, such as the use of an escargot dish in the presentation of a gratin-like soy vegetable number, and the use of a glass to dramatically encase smoke over another vegetable arrangement, flavour-wise nothing really 'sang' to us and for the most part the conceptual failed to translate into the pleasurable. We came away feeling like we'd overpaid and under-indulged.

Unlikely to be back, which is a shame because Tokyo really needs more good organic restaurants.

Pros: Organic and mostly vegan, Natural chic interior design, Useful location
Cons: Overpriced, Under talented chefs, Service misses the mark as well
sglcklch
sglcklch

What a hidden gem!

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

I found this restaurant on a Japanese foodie website. My minimal knowledge in Japanese didn't help me much in figuring out whether or not it was a vegetarian establishment. I just knew they serve organic natural food. Unsure what to expect, I let my adventurous side got the better of me and decided to try it out.

My partner and I arrived at around 6 for dinner and were told that they were full. Had to come back in an hour or so for seats at the counter. Menu was only in Japanese but luckily Jun, the assistant director, spoke fluent English and translated everything. She was so nice and helpful that she ran to the kitchen several times for my questions.

Turned out there were only 3 seafood items on the a la carte menu, the rest plus the set meals were all vegan. For dinner there were 3 sets to choose from (JPY2500/3500/4500). I went for the third one as it offered the most options. It was a 5-course meal featuring an amuse-bouche platter, an appetizer of choice, a soup, a main course of choice and a dessert of choice with tea/coffee. My partner ordered two seafood and a vegetable dishes. The food was just fantastic. The ingredients were all so fresh because they only use those that are in season. Every dish was perfectly seasoned and exquisitely presented. Check out the photos I uploaded for details.

Staff was professional and friendly. Apparently the majority of their clientele was Japanese. When we showed up, they seemed a bit surprised and asked how we knew about them, if it was the English website they had just put up. Perhaps because of this, they really took extra good care of us. The chef, although speaking only a little English, came to check up on us throughout our whole meal to make sure everything was good. He also gave us some homemade organic bread with EVOO and some special sake that was cloudy instead of clear. It tasted very refreshing even to someone like me that dislikes alcohol in general.

Decor was simple but cozy. They had a wooden theme which, together with the lighting, added a pleasantly warm feeling to the setting. Although the kitchen was big and open, the ventilation was good enough so there was no cooking smells whatsoever even we sat right in front. There was also a small grocery section selling local products.

This was hands down the best meal I had during our stay in Tokyo. Location is a bit tricky but you can refer to their website for exact directions. If you could go to only one restaurant in Tokyo, THIS is the one!

Pros: food, service, setting

Dear Owner and Manager of Tamana Shokudo: