Tamana Shokudo

Serves meat, veg options available. Pescatarian restaurant that serves mostly vegan and organic food. Around 3 items on the a la carte menu are non-vegetarian; everything else including all the set meals are vegan. Also has a small grocery section, and holds cooking classes. Located in a quiet corner of Omotesando. Name in Japanese is たまな食堂, address 東京都港区南青山3-8-27. Price: Expensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Organic, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
3-8-27 Minami Aoyama, Minato-ku
Tokyo, Japan
03-5775-3673

Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-3:30pm, 6-10:30pm.

• Wheelchair accessible

First Review by sglcklch
sglcklch
sglcklch

What a hidden gem!

4 Posted on 10 / 09 / 2012

I found this restaurant on a Japanese foodie website. My minimal knowledge in Japanese didn't help me much in figuring out whether or not it was a vegetarian establishment. I just knew they serve organic natural food. Unsure what to expect, I let my adventurous side got the better of me and decided to try it out.

My partner and I arrived at around 6 for dinner and were told that they were full. Had to come back in an hour or so for seats at the counter. Menu was only in Japanese but luckily Jun, the assistant director, spoke fluent English and translated everything. She was so nice and helpful that she ran to the kitchen several times for my questions.

Turned out there were only 3 seafood items on the a la carte menu, the rest plus the set meals were all vegan. For dinner there were 3 sets to choose from (JPY2500/3500/4500). I went for the third one as it offered the most options. It was a 5-course meal featuring an amuse-bouche platter, an appetizer of choice, a soup, a main course of choice and a dessert of choice with tea/coffee. My partner ordered two seafood and a vegetable dishes. The food was just fantastic. The ingredients were all so fresh because they only use those that are in season. Every dish was perfectly seasoned and exquisitely presented. Check out the photos I uploaded for details.

Staff was professional and friendly. Apparently the majority of their clientele was Japanese. When we showed up, they seemed a bit surprised and asked how we knew about them, if it was the English website they had just put up. Perhaps because of this, they really took extra good care of us. The chef, although speaking only a little English, came to check up on us throughout our whole meal to make sure everything was good. He also gave us some homemade organic bread with EVOO and some special sake that was cloudy instead of clear. It tasted very refreshing even to someone like me that dislikes alcohol in general.

Decor was simple but cozy. They had a wooden theme which, together with the lighting, added a pleasantly warm feeling to the setting. Although the kitchen was big and open, the ventilation was good enough so there was no cooking smells whatsoever even we sat right in front. There was also a small grocery section selling local products.

This was hands down the best meal I had during our stay in Tokyo. Location is a bit tricky but you can refer to their website for exact directions. If you could go to only one restaurant in Tokyo, THIS is the one!

Pros: food, service, setting

Dear Owner and Manager of Tamana Shokudo: