CLOSED: Taj Mahal

Serves meat, veg options available. Indian restaurant with some vegetarian dishes. Reservations is required, call ahead. MAR 2014 REPORTED SHUT. Price: Expensive more-less
Indian, Beer/Wine, Non-veg
157 2nd Ave N, No. 6
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan S7K 2Ap
306-978-2227

Open Tue-Sat dinner 5:30-10, Sun 5:30-9, closed Mon.

First Review by urind
registerednut
registerednut

High quality, authentic indian food, veg options

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2011

The taj mahal is by far the best indian restaurant I have visited. There are tons of vegetarian options. I'm sure if you asked they would also accomodate vegans, but I just love the paneer to much to even try a veganized meal there. They make everything from scratch including the yogourt used in sauces and paneer. The owner explains that he wants it to be real yogourt, not 'dairy jello'. Ha ha! When they moved to the King George building on 2nd ave they offered a limited menu which included a 'vegetarian meal for two'... we still order this despite the expanded menu because it is so good. The appetizer includes a large samosa, two pakoras and 2 pieces of aloo bahji (potato slices coated in chickpea flour and fried. The chutneys served with this are green (apple, cilantro, ?) and orange (tamarind, carrot, ?). My favorite is the green, but I do love cilantro. The meal comes in beautiful hammered copper dishes. The channa masala has a deep flavour from the masala spices with just the right amount of tangyness/tartness, garnished with green onion to offset the depth. The saag paneer(or maybe its palak paneer) is rich and smooth with soft creamy paneer. The vegetable subji is perfectly spiced, and the vegetables used vary from time to time. The saffron rice is mildly flavored and a perfect pairing for all the other dishes. The naan is the best I've had in the city, lately they've been serving the meal with chappatis instead though. The last few visits we have also tried the mutter paneer (to die for!), a mushroom dish and an eggplant dish (the names of which escapes me. They were also both very delicious. I'm not a huge fan of their desserts. If you want deep fried ice cream have it at Otowa instead. The service is always very excellent, but if you're looking for an 'express lunch' go elsewhere. This restaurant gives you the opportunity to savour your meal and the experience of dining out. Pricey but worth it. It's like expensive ice cream... savour it but have it less often.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, great atmosphere
Cons: a bit pricey but worth it
maineblackbear
maineblackbear

Best Indian restaurant EVER

4 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2010

Have no idea what above reviewer is talking about; goodness gracious, every moment spent at this place is a moment in heaven. I cannot speak to the street fair-- I have never been. It is true that the food takes forever to arrive-- they grind the spices individually for each meal-- it is made lovingly and with quality beyond belief. When I go, I bring a book (if I am alone) and order and then wait. There is no dish i love more than any other; they are all great (I have never really liked palak paneer, so can't speak to that) but the other dishes are supreme-- their Bharta is the best, their malai kofta (not vegan) unbelievable, shahi paneer and korma are both making me drool as I type. Seriously, I have eaten at over 200, maybe 300 Indian restaurants in the U.S. and Canada and this place is my favorite. (The first time I was there I ordered the veggie samosa--after about a day or so, they brought 'em out-- one bit and I looked up at the server and said "wow"--do you know what he said back? "You haven't seen anything yet." And he was right. There is a reason why this is the best Indian restaurant in Canada.

Can;t give it five cows because it is a non-vegetarian restaurant--believe me, when I say its worth six.

Pros: food , food, food
Cons: wait, a little pricy, not many tables
erinaskyes
erinaskyes

Awesome

4 Posted on 05 / 14 / 2008

I love the Taj and go as often as I can. One of the things I love about the Taj is the pace of the restaurant. As the owener of the Taj told us 'eating is an entire experience not just to fill our bellies'.

The first time I went to the Taj I did not have a reservation and the owner explained about the policy but I got a table. The owner fully explained that to eat at his restaurant you would need about three hours.

I find many people today too concerned with fast pace and mountains of food. Part of going out to a restaurant is to enjoy who you are going out with. I love Indian food and found their portion sizes the same as other Indian restaurants.

I think the Taj is must but go only if you have the time and good company. It is pricier than some so that is a consideration as well for some.

Pros: Excellent tasting food, Friendly Staff, Calming Atmosphere
Cons: hours of operation
urind
urind

• non-vegetarian

Worst Indian Resturant Ever, Will never go again

1 Posted on 10 / 31 / 2007

We have been to many Indian Joints all over North America

If you are concerned about your time and money, please avoid this restaurant. They do not accept customers without booking .... well .... we booked for one Friday evening, and we arrived on time. There was nobody to take our order. We were waiting for 25 mins, then some guy came and took our order. The serving came after another 1 hour.

And, trust us, one serving of any dish will not feel 1/5th of your stomach. We ordered enough for three of us from the menu, and then after getting the serving, we had to order another round ..... and alas ... that serving took another 45 mins.

And it is, sooooo expensive......

Quality of food, per say is very ordinary, even if, the owner boosts about keeping the originality of Indian taste.

In the food festival of Saskatoon (Taste of Saskatchewan) they had a stall, there, they served 1 teaspoon of rice with 1 teaspoon of chicken rezala (trust us, only one TEASPOON), for 6 dollers.

There are other in-convenience, like, they don't have any parking of their own. You need to park on the street, which is occupied always, otherwise you need to walk down 200 meters after parking.

Pros: Nil
Cons: Non Friendly Staff, Poor Service, Not at all value for money

Dear Owner and Manager of CLOSED: Taj Mahal: