Vegetarian India restaurant in the Bustleton Somerton Shopping Ctr, Northeast Philly. Offers North Indian lunch buffet during the week, South Indian (less spicy) food on weekends. Extensive selections. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Buffet, Take-out

First Review by Donna Lynn
MichelleKreidler
MichelleKreidler

Highly recommend

4 Posted on 06 / 08 / 2014

This little store in a strip mall, which offers only strictly vegetarian foods is definitely worth the trip! My husband and I ordered the naan(garlic and masala), a serving of onion kulcha (yum), samosa (glorious) and the Paneer Butter Masala (lovely). Services was courteous and helpful.

Try out this restaurant and you won't be disappointed!

Bill Apfelbaum
Bill Apfelbaum

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

5 Posted on 10 / 01 / 2013

Very Tasty India Food. Nicely spiced. Reasonable prices. Many Choices. I eat there about once a week. It is a treat I look forward to. I've taken several guests some non vegtarians and they have all enjoyed their meals. My favorites are the Masala Dosa, Paneer Butter Masala and the Chole Bhatura. There is an 18%, dine-in charge service charge for groups of 4 or more. I've been a vegetarian for over 40 years and I prefer to eat at restaurants that are strictly vegetarian like Taj-India. Good Eats.

Pros: Excellant Food, Many Choices, Fair Prices
Cons: 18% Group Dine-in charge
Mark Ratkus
Mark Ratkus

Taj India, a real "find" in NE Philly

4 Posted on 05 / 31 / 2010

Luckily, I was referred to a periodontist whose office is across the street from Taj India, and I was stunned to find a restaurant that's vegetarian/vegan in this area. The vegetable Samosa appetizers (2 pcs.) make a great starter or small lunch. I have enjoyed several of fresh types of Indian breads, which come out very hot off the grill. The Spring Dosa (#56) is a large (12") crepe filled with potatoes, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower and peas--very tasty and served with 3 types of chutney, 2 tart, 1 sweet. I consider the prices to be very reasonable, and the portions are ample.

snowy11480
snowy11480

Great Lunch Platters!!

5 Posted on 10 / 20 / 2009

This is a great spot to get a vegetarian lunch in the northest. when i started working up this way, i was worried i would have no vegetarian options but have been pretty lucky with several good veg spots and this is definitely one of the top ones!! The have a vegetarian lunch platter they make up and the food is VERY fresh!!! the naan they bring out with the platter is so hot when the plate comes out, i can tell they just pulled it off the grill! YUMMM! The staff are also very nice, helpful, and accomadating. I would highly recommend this place for lunch - as its also a very reasonable price! haven't been for dinner so i can't speak to that...

Anyway, try this place out:) its delish!

Pros: Fresh made Vegetarian Platters!, Friendly staff, good prices
Jamie Roberts
Jamie Roberts

Fantastic Indian Veg in in Northeast Philadelphia!

5 Posted on 10 / 17 / 2009

It's so hard to find good vegetarian food in Northeast Philly, but Taj India is a great place to start. The food is delicious, they make a great chai and the staff is knowledgeable about vegetarian needs. Namaste!

Donna Lynn
Donna Lynn

Northeast Philadelphia vegetarian restaurant

4 Posted on 06 / 24 / 2009

Taj India is a great find for anyone looking for a vegetarian restaurant in Northeast Philly. I finally found a place that has food (veggie) cooked in a tandoor. They have a paneer and vegetable dish cooked in the tandoor that is outstanding - a little smokey tasting, yum. The portions are very generous. Our vegetarian family has added this restaurant to our favorites list. We have not left here once without taking home some leftovers - next time we come I should bring containers with me. It would be great to see this place crowded, although when we've been there we see lots of folks picking up take-out. I like spicy food and have ordered it "spicy for an American" which has been just right - right on the verge of very spicy.

Pros: varied menu, excellent food, nice presentation
Guest
Guest

wonderful!!

5 Posted on 08 / 08 / 2007

I have tried just about everything on the menu, and everything is wonderful. Mutter paneer my fave! Onion Kulcha! DA BOMB! My family said, "yuk," because it was Indian, and vegetarian. Guess what, They LOVED it, hahahaha! I hope they stay in business forever. They sell gift certificates, this is how I found out about them, I ws given one. Oh yeah, and they will adjust the spiciness to your liking!

Chanda PuterWitch

Pros: Vegetarian, Delicious, Friendly
Cons: do not deliver, far from my house, should advertise more

Dear Owner and Manager of Taj India: