Taiwan Brother 7 Vegan Hut...

Opened Mar 2012, this restaurant provides vegan cuisine and offers a weekday set lunch menu in addition to an a la carte menu. Uses non-GMO sunflower oil for cooking. Has wi-fi and free delivery within 8 minute walk. Location is near exit no 2 of Da Pu Qiao(打浦桥)subway station. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Chinese, Taiwanese, Take-out, Delivery

cksquared
cksquared

Good vegan option

5 Posted on 06 / 20 / 2014

This restaurant was the first we tried out when we arrived in Shanghai and it didn't disappoint. The reviews that directed us into the mall to level B2 helped us find it and once we were down there, the bright yellow sign was easy to find! They have daily specials they change up on the board, but we sat and used the english menu. The first waitress spoke a little english and I realized later that she was asking if I wanted a lunch set. We had ordered ala carte. It was delicious though! It started picking up in business while we were waiting. My husband and I ordered the ginger "chicken" and the tea tree mushroom dishes. Both very good! We got tea with our meal. It's a small, fast food like dining area, but has a long menu of delicious vegan options! The second waiter that worked there spoke more english and we talked about Happy Cow. He asked if we were vegetarian and you could tell it was important to him to live this life.

Pros: Tasty, Proximity, Lots of options
Cons: Limited seating
summersun15
summersun15

Great Value

4 Posted on 06 / 01 / 2014

I loved this place. Went there twice for lunch and would have gone back if I was in Shanghai longer. One time the person taking my order spoke pretty much no English, but another time there was a staff member there who did speak English. The menu is written in English, so you can just point. The set lunch of the day is a great value- soup, white rice, and 3-4 samples of various dishes. It was 25RMB, so about $4. My main criticism would be that a lot of the food was really greasy and heavy. I got some dumplings (side dish, last part of the menu) that were good if you don't want a lot of grease.

It's in a really big mall, but if you go in the entrance next to a Costa Coffee and go down the escalator to level B2, you will see the yellow sign near the escalator. There is also a giant grocery store in this mall with lots of international food. Worth a visit.

Pros: Really cheap, Some great dishes
Cons: Some dishes are super greasy, Small- little seating
MiaRakete
MiaRakete

Cheap place to eat good - not great - food

4 Posted on 05 / 19 / 2014

Located in the Food Court of the big mall facing Tianzifang, this restaurant offers tons of different dishes for very reasonable prices. I went there twice during the last four days, so you can probably tell, that I quite like this restaurant. The staff is really helpful and speaks English fluently and would assist us while we made our decision on what to order.
We ordered some mock meats as well as some vegetable dishes. In my opinion, the fake meat wasn't really that good, I've eaten "more realistic" fakes at other places, but they still tasted fine, just not very convincing. The vegetables dishes were really good, but I would have liked to add some salt to it, they could have been seasoned a little stronger.
I loved that the employee there asked as if we wanted the GMO to be left out though. :)
All in all, very good experiences. The food is totally worth its money, but I wouldn't go here for a date or for another special occasion since the athmosphere is quite loud and "mall-like". I also think that tastewise, there are better places in Shanghai (which are usually more expensive).

Pros: cheap prices, nice employees, located close to Tianzifang
Cons: nor very convincing mock meat, crowded fast food restaurant athmosphere, seasoning could be a little stronger

SamLarkin
SamLarkin

Excellent

5 Posted on 03 / 26 / 2014

This restaurant has a wide variety of vegan food, both Western, and Chinese. There use of eggplants, and yams show that dishes that I craved as a carnivore (sweet & sour chicken, and pork), can be well suited to vegan alternatives. The prompt service, and moderate prices are also highly impressive.

NCC
NCC

2nd Home

5 Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

This place is like my 2nd home! It's near my place and its right next to the dapuqiao station so I come here often. Prices are very reasonable for what you get. If you get the set meal (26rmb), you get white rice (no brown Ive asked) 2 veggie sides, a rice soup and either pepper beef steak w/ capsicums, sweet & sour fish, or a special dish of the day. That's not bad!

My personal favorite is the tea tree mushroom dish. It's got sichuan peppercorns and chili. It may be spicy for some but definitely not for me.

Also, the staff is always all smiles and super cheerful. One employee especially is very helpful sweet. He speaks English AND Spanish, way to go!

Pros: Good value set, Tasty food, Friendly Employee
Veganjoe108
Veganjoe108

Vegan Hut is really good

5 Posted on 05 / 30 / 2013

[edit by staff- see ToS]. Having said that, the food here is just really top notch stuff, unlike some other vegan places the focus seems a little less on recreating meats and western style food, and more on veganising Chinese classics, and the result is just brilliant.

Service was really good and surprisingly un-evangelical, which is always nice. They can't call it 'Loving Hut' as the Chinese government sees non-Asian religions as threatening to harmonious society and blah

Pros: Great Food, Nice vibe, Service
Cons: Uneasy feeling
untemperedhope
untemperedhope

Great Place!

5 Posted on 03 / 05 / 2013

My boyfriend and I have been here upwards of 5 times and it never gets old! Cheap food (especially for the area), excellent selection, and very tasty! Try the vegan hard boiled eggs or one of their large hot and sour soups! Mmm~! Excellent faux meat.

anarchistanimal
anarchistanimal

Tasty, friendly, inexpensive

4 Posted on 03 / 01 / 2013

This little shop has super friendly workers and yummy food. They're happy to speak English and accommodate requests for no MSG if you like. The food is tasty, inexpensive, Chinese fare - I had a big mock seafood soup, and paid 38 rmb - and that was one of the more expensive things on the menu. The atmosphere is a bit food court though.

Pros: Inexpensive, Friendly workers
Cons: Food court
veggiegirl6
veggiegirl6

great good at a reasonable price

5 Posted on 02 / 27 / 2013

So glad to have found this gem! I ordered the eggplant Basil and the seasonal vegetable( bok choy) without MSG and it was tasty! Portions are just the right size. The waiter was very friendly and spoke good English.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, quick service
Johnc8
Johnc8

Fantastic

5 Posted on 01 / 27 / 2013

This is a great restaurant! The food is amazing and the service is excellent. I spent 3 months in Shanghai and am a very fussy veggie. However, I found this restaurant and one of the waiters spoke great English making is very easy for me to enjoy my evening meals.
I only have 2 very minor grips:
1. The restaurant closes at 9pm. Very often they had to stay open as people turned up just before closing. One night, they even got the chef to come back to make me a take away!
2. The restaurant is in a shopping centre. During cold weather the restaurant can be cold. Be prepared.
The staff in the restaurant are very passionate about being vegetarians and talked to me about the Happy Cow web site and other local restaurants I could try.
The restaurant is very small. Their selection of drinks is limited but they are happy for you to bring your own (diet coke for me!).
I took my family (who are not vegetarians) and they loved the food. It is also very reasonably priced.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Not expensive
Cons: Quite small - limited seating, Open in shopping centre so can be cold

Dear Owner and Manager of Taiwan Brother 7 Vegan Hut - Lu Wan: