Taco Bus - Food Truck

Serves meat, veg options available. Taco truck offers a variety of vegan fillings including tofu, cheese, tempeh, butternut squash and steak strips. The vegan items are cooked on the same grill as meat. The rice, beans, guacamole and salsa are vegan. Price: Inexpensive more-less
Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Lacto, Take-out, Mexican, Fast food, Non-veg

Birkey
Birkey

Vegan paradise

4 Posted on 05 / 21 / 2014

My wife found this place on Happy Cow last night. She liked it so much that she took me there tonight after I arrived from Virginia for our long weekend getaway. We are used to searching for vegan fare in the dark corners of menus. This place prominently has vegan options gloriously displayed front and center. She had a tofu burrito the first night. Tonight she had,of all things, a butternut squash burrito. They were both awesome. Since we were at the Taco Bus I had the tempeh tacos. They were so good I went back for a third. I tried both flour and corn tortillas and liked them both. They have bottles of their home made salsa on the table. The red is mild and the green is hot. Both are very very good. Highly recommend the Taco Bus for anyone looking for flavorful vegan food. Also recommend the Hillsborough location and eating outside in front of the bus in the little garden to capture the funky ambiance. Nice and helpful staff.

Pros: Excellent vegan choices, Funky ambiance, Great staff
Cons: They aren't in Northern Virginia
AlexandraPhillips
AlexandraPhillips

Love the bus!!

3 Posted on 04 / 21 / 2014

I used to love The Bus but I don't eat here very much anymore. For one they no longer serve vegan tamales. They don't have weekend specials at all anymore. IMHO they are too concerned with rolling out new locations. Also, be warned that the only truly vegan option is beans and rice as far as fillers for tacos/burritos/etc. I contacted the owner in regards to allergies and he informed me that they do cook their tempeh, vegan strips, etc on the same grill as the regular meat! :-/ On a positive note they now carry vegan cheese.
Updated from previous review on Sunday February 10, 2013

Pros: online ordering, Vegan cheese
Cons: They cook vegan items with meat
Denabear84
Denabear84

WoW!!!

4 Posted on 11 / 07 / 2013

Wasn't expecting much from this place and was more than pleasantly surprised! The tempeh tacos are absolutely delish!! If you are vegan make sure you say no cheese. Everything was awesome!!

Pros: vegan friendly, vegetarian friendly
mrscupp
mrscupp

Tempeh is LEGIT

4 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2013

I loved the taco bus when I was a meat-eater, and now that my husband and I have transitioned to toe vegan lifestyle, it's so nice to know this is one of the places I won't have to give up! I recently went with a coworker who tried the tempeh and is now a believer! The tempeh tacos are probably the best I've had, and better than I ever would have imagined during my life as a meat-eater!!
I love knowing there are places I can go to with my friends and family who eat meat and we all can be happy and satisfied :)

Pros: filling, TEMPEH!, online ordering and pickup!
Cons: isn't closer to my house!
Jessica3932
Jessica3932

Light mexican food

4 Posted on 07 / 27 / 2012

I really like taco bus because the portions are big but the food is light so you don't feel sluggish after eating them. Inside there is a sign that read "by vegan we mean no broth, no meat, no dairy, no lard" followed by a list of the vegetarian items on the menu and a list of the vegan items on the menu.
They offer texturized soy protein, tofu, and tempeh.
I got the burrito and it came with cabbage in it which was something I have never seen before but it was delicious.
I was not super impressed by the vegan tamales but that might just be because I don't like tamales. The restaurant itself is not very nice but they keep it clean. It is also kind of confusing how you order if you have never been there before. I would say the price is moderate. There is always a long line outside but it goes pretty fast and the food is pretty fast.

Pros: Fast , Healthy , 3 types of vegan meat
Cons: Long lines , A little pricey

Dear Owner and Manager of Taco Bus - Food Truck: