Taam Hachaim - Taste of Life

Vegan restaurant run by the Hebrew Israelite community. Extensive menu of hot dishes, faux meats, salad combinations, veggie burgers, and sandwiches. Has live food dishes and vegan ice cream. Live entertainment some evenings. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Israeli, Italian, Western, Raw, Organic, Take-out

First Review by viacapricorn
Vgan-Slaughterer
Vgan-Slaughterer

The best Vegan comfort food in Israel

5 Posted on 03 / 24 / 2014

Such rich dishes, spicy flavours and amazing service.
The food is always tasty and affordable. Great place.

Pros: Great value for money, Satisficing food , Delicious
Barney Big Ears
Barney Big Ears

Soul Veg Of Tel Aviv

5 Posted on 03 / 03 / 2014

Heard about this place while eating at the soul veg in chicago (in the mid 90s)! Menu is much different than US menus. Staff were cool and spoke English. Great food

Pros: Robust Menu
Cons: No Collard Greens
heyheyrenee
heyheyrenee

Great Experience

4 Posted on 02 / 16 / 2014

The staff is very attentive, helpful and friendly. We had the seitan steak and rice. It was very good. Their smoothies were quite good as well. The service was excellent. I thought the prices were a little steep.

Pros: Wonderful staff
Cons: Pricey
Kalorienbombe
Kalorienbombe

Big portions of bland food

3 Posted on 11 / 08 / 2013

This restaurant might be good enough to fill you up but it's really nothing special. It cheapish and the portions are quite big (for some dishes at least), but they should work on the flavour a little.

Pros: Big portions, good enough to eat
Cons: rather bland
thisplaceisheaven
thisplaceisheaven

Nice place

4 Posted on 09 / 01 / 2013

Nice place. I had mushroom burger (they have a lot of burger options) ad quinoa salad. My dad ate pizza with soy cheese. All vegan. We also got some hummus with pita for free not to wait for our meals too long. All was good but not amazing.
The woman who served us was very friendly, helpful and answered all of the questions :)

Pros: all vegan and tasty, nice stuff
Cons: salads a little bit boring
Gony
Gony

THE BEST !!!

5 Posted on 07 / 01 / 2013

Best vegan place I have ever eaten at.
No douts no questions.
Every thing is so good.

Pros: Simply tasty
reyley
reyley

Great Place!!

5 Posted on 05 / 22 / 2013

The food was excellent and the prices were good.
their vegan cheeses were good and their portions large.
i was very happy and will definitely come again!

fullyfokusd
fullyfokusd

Yummy

5 Posted on 08 / 24 / 2012

Hebrew Isrealite restaurant that prides itself on delicious vegan food, fantastic service, and they even have live music on thursdays. The restaurant is also very nicely decorated and had a good ambiance.

Pros: Delicious, Nutritious, Friendly
hokusai77
hokusai77

Good selection of vegan dishes

3 Posted on 01 / 30 / 2012

Nice place, fresh ingredients. The salad bar is awesome. I had a quiche with soy bechamel, and steamed vegetables, both very good. As a desser, I opted for a chocolate-vanilla ice cream. Not the best I ever tasted, but OK. Staff are very kind.

Pros: good choice of dishes, very fresh ingredients, kind staff
Cons: the icecream could be better
antoniakmj
antoniakmj

Dish-is-Delish!

5 Posted on 01 / 07 / 2012

Came here starving for some raw vegan food and found just that, along with great service and oldschool R.Kelly beats.
Their raw organic quinoa salad and buckwheat salads are two of my favs. their wakame salad is also delicious. normally i dont like seitan and tempeh cause i read they're unhealthy, but i decided to try their "seitan shwarma wrap" and it was genius. tasted so good.

judging just the menu, i had no clue how good the food would taste. order anything and you will see the caliber of food they have.

also, the people working there are part of the Kingdom of Yah community, a community of African Hebrew Israelites, and they use the vegetables from their communities organic garden in the restaurant - big points scored with me for that!

Careful - closes early friday and closed all saturday for shabbat.

enjoy!

Pros: GREAT FOOD , funny staff , lots of space
Cons: interior design just ok, no delivery
theveganbastard
theveganbastard

this place is the glory

5 Posted on 10 / 23 / 2011

I have eaten in few different countries (from Brazil to Finland) many vegan meals in vegan and vegetarians restaurants, but never in my life I have eaten in a place like this. The place was so good, people spoke english as well, nice music, an extensive menu with lots of choices, by the way, the vegan cheese was definitely one of the best choices ever.

A.Z.P.
A.Z.P.

Was Great... Still Decent

3 Posted on 08 / 11 / 2011

I don't often change my reviews on restaurants but here is is a must. I've been a fan of Taste of Life for almost a decade now, but sadly since the restaurant moved down Ben Yehuda st, the experience went downhill too. Taste of life used to be a hole in the wall, that served the best vegan food in Israel with the nicest and warmest service I've ever experienced anywhere. While the service remains top notch, since their move, the prices of the food have continued to skyrocket as the portions have gotten smaller. When we first started coming here you would get a main dish which would come with whatever sides you want and a salad on the side for about 30 or 40 shekels. The plate would be heaping with mouth watering food. Nowadays, none of these come together, with the exception of tuesdays apparently, you can never see what you want and choose it, the salads are minuscule and you cant pick whats in them, and that same food all together will cost you about double. I never under understood the pricing system at the old places, but I would get food and then shake my head not believing how much food I just had and how cheap it was. Now i feel like is a shekel per sprout.

Sure the new place is stunning, but Ill take the old place with the old pricing, the old personalization, and the old portion sizes any day.

Sadly, this was my Previous review:

"The Best Veggie Restaurant in Israel"

Pro's: *Big + Delicious portions
*Relatively Cheap

When my best friend comes to Israel, this is the first place he likes to go. The food here is pretty outstanding (especially compared to most other Israeli vege restaurants) and the service is Impeccable (Yocheved, the owner is 1 of the nicest people you will meet) I generally hate eggplant, but even i think the eggplant parmesean is pretty good. It is probably 1 of the creamiest things ive ever eaten and amazingly it's TOTALLY vegan! The only dish i wasnt completely satified with here was the grilled tofu in marinade. My personal taste of life favorite is the BBQ Twists sandwich. Im a heavy eater but trust me, this sandwich is definitely a meal! And whether you put it on top of a salad or a stirfry, the garlic dressing is a cant miss. Taste of life provides great service and delicious hearty meals that taste homecooked, healthy and delicious!
Updated from previous review on Monday February 26, 2007

Pros: Delicious Vegan Fare, Lovely service, Stunning 2 floor location
Cons: No close daytime parking, Small Portions, Expensive
Pigsaresmart
Pigsaresmart

Perfect place to cool down, rest and eat

4 Posted on 08 / 03 / 2011

I liked the discreet professional waiter who respected my wish for privacy and quietness. For my appetite the pizza was rather small, but arrived fast and with all the extras I had ordered. The Not-Cheese had the consistency of cream cheese - a little too liquid for my taste, but many vegan chefs have failed at pizza, so I heard.
There are lots of fruit juices to choose from, almost too many combinations. The washrooms are absolutely spotless. To me this is important as they are a reflection of general hygiene and therefore an indicator about the kitchen.
I enjoyed my stay at Taam Hachaim.

Pros: Menu, Fruits, Calm
veganlondon
veganlondon

Nice vegan cafe/restaurant

4 Posted on 07 / 21 / 2011

Much nicer since it moved location. Nice decor (Morrocan style!). food was very nice.
Had a vegan pizza - it didn't look anything like the picture on menu but it tasted very good.
Had a wonderful carob sponge cake . Went back for more the next day.
On Tuesdays they have the food set out - it's not quite a buffet, as you tell them the items you want and they will put it on your plate.
Food is healthy and organic and vegan

Pros: 100% vegan, food cooked in grill not microwave, lovely cakes
Cons: ,
vegified
vegified

great place

4 Posted on 06 / 06 / 2011

the people who run this place are really warm and friendly. i went with my non-veg boyfriend and we instantly liked the vibe of the place. we shared a grilled soy cheese sandwich with veggies which was delicious. we also had the seitan "steak" dish with gravy and rice and it came with a salad. the seitan was really yummy and salad was so fresh. i don't know what the dressing was but i would go back just for that salad alone! then we had a pb shake and a banana shake. both good but the banana shake was phenomenal. it had some sort of spice added to it and the bananas were really ripe. we ended with vanilla and carob ice creams and cinnamon roll and brownie. we liked the vanilla ice cream better than the carob (and i usually prefer carob/chocolate). the brownie was a bit dry, not sure how long it was sitting out before we got there. we also might have been too stuffed at that point to really judge. overall, we really liked this place and highly recommend it.

stretchwithgumby
stretchwithgumby

Nice Surprise

5 Posted on 02 / 23 / 2011

I come from Chicago which has numerous raw, vegan and vegetarian restaurants ranging from gourmet to fast-food and even soul-food. I ran across this place on Ben Yehuda St. just before closing time, and it compares favorably to any of the places in Chicago. Selection, price, quality and quantity of the food were just right. I did not feel rushed, either, and the service was friendly and knowledgeable. I had an eggplant casserole and cabbage salad, plus a peanut butter shake, each was excellent and flavorful.

Pros: selection, price, value
Cons: closed at 9 pm
WeyHey09
WeyHey09

OK but not great - atmosphere a bit clinical

3 Posted on 02 / 04 / 2010

Please keep in mind that we are vegetarian not vegan, finding good vegan food (or even vegan food full stop) may be difficult so this place may be heaven for vegans. For us two vegetarians we didn't overly enjoy our time at Taam Hachaim (so far we haven't enjoyed any of the three vegan food places we have visited).....

We visited on a cold January afternoon after another Tel Aviv vegan cafe was closed. We were the only two customers. This cafe was very clinical with 95% of dishes in a fridge wrapped in cling film. There was also a hot food plate with various dishes and soup.

The salad /sprout bar looked delicous but as it was cold outside I had the mixed hot plate which was luke warm and very carbohydrate based (pasta, rice, polenta, quinoa). Apart from not being hot (which i hate) and tasting of MSG (which I doubt it was) it was partly ok but left me feeling very heavy. My friend had the luke warm soup, which he liked as it wasn't a thick soup and the rice which he really didn't like. Cost for both dishes (and without drinks) was 85 skehels.

We ate our food and left within 15 minutes of entering and without ordering drinks. We decided to go somewhere a bit more cosy for some hot drinks.

Would we go back? Unfortunately not. Even though the staff were lovely for us two backpackers the sit down falafel and hummous joints offer much better value for money and are always tasty. For vegans though maybe this place is great?

Pros: Nice friendly staff, Wide variety of food
Cons: Clinical atmosphere, luke warm expensive food, food ok but not great
deedee424
deedee424

Best Vegan Meal/Meal in Israel

5 Posted on 05 / 25 / 2009

In DC, we don't have too many reasonably priced, organic, vegan restaurants (except Sticky Fingers). So, I was adament about going to a vegan restaurant in Tel Aviv. I had been thoroughly enjoying sitting down at cafes and being waited on, so I again, was hesitant on checking out this place. Tonight, I rode my bike around for a good hour trying to find a place in Neve Tsedek and HaCarmel that suited my needs. I finally 'settled' on Taste of Life. I ordered a BBQ Twist sandwich and let the woman put on whatever sauces she thought would work. I also ordered a PB Smoothie. They. were. amazing. Mind Blowing. The best meal I've had in a long time. Maybe ever. Seriously. Maybe ever. Plus, the women being vegan and American were also fantastic. I'm forfeiting my last meal of Buddha Burger and eating here instead. I would bring some of it home (they do to-go containers by weight) but customs is wicked strict. Please visit this place. Thanks.

Pros: Food, Selection, Friendly Staff
Cons: The door slams?
  • deedee424 deedee424

I have been graced by the Good Lord and has given me a Taste of Life, or Soul Vegetarian in DC. I will attend synogague 5 times a week and start sacrificing lambs. Jk. I cannot believe it's the same people, I am soo lucky. Small world!!

Serval
Serval

A little vegan oasis near the beach

5 Posted on 04 / 23 / 2009

At first sight it may not be very attractive ( it looks like a second-hand fast food), but the truth is that the place, first of all, is absolutely clean, and the food is extremely good, but especially the choice is really rich, abundant. The best things I've tasted: hummus sandwich, tempeh and tofu burgers, delicious and really healthy smoothies. The staff is helpful, even if they all seem very shy and ( maybe) sad. It's next to to a litte ( but good) health food shop that is owned by two qualified young men, also with a good choice of alternative medicine items.

groovyvegan
groovyvegan

Wide variety of vegan food

5 Posted on 01 / 06 / 2009

This small, narrow 100% vegan, mostly organic restaurant with only 3 or 4 tables has a huge variety of fresh, delicious vegan food. They didn't just have veggie burgers, for example, but a choice of tofu, veggie, chick pea, lentil and sunflower seed burgers. There was a huge selection of fresh veggies and sprouts to put on the burgers or other sandwiches including sunflower sprouts, mung sprouts, micro greens, shredded carrots, green onion, etc. I tried 3 types of burger: veggie, chick pea, and lentil, and unfortunately all tasted processed and too salty, but the fixin's and spreads doctored them up nicely.

You can see their extensive menu online complete with raw salads and spreads, hot dishes, and fresh juices. My omni husband found their spinach vegan quiche to be the best vegan quiche he's ever had--quite rich and creamy. I found their homemade vinagrette salad dressing with nutritional yeast to be one of the best I've ever tasted.

The staff was very nice and friendly, and both spoke English. (The woman is a Detroit native, and the young man's parents are both from the U.S.)

I'm giving them 5 happy cows because the restaurant is 100% vegan with a large variety of choices, and very fresh salad and sandwich fixin's. They even have soy ice cream (which I didn't try). The only things I found disappointing were the burgers and the fact that the young man picked up the burgers with his bare hands instead of tongs or plastic gloves. (Health standards are quite lax in Israel). None-the-less, I highly recommend the place and would not hesitate to go there again.

Pros: Wide variety of 100% vegan food, Mostly organic Ingredients, Friendly Helpful English-speaking Staff
Cons: Food handling with bare hands, Burgers too salty
Petesternz
Petesternz

Good shawarma!

4 Posted on 12 / 11 / 2008

We visited Taste of Life today and enjoyed it a lot. Everything is exceptionally fresh and the sandwich offerings are really plentiful. I had a shawarma which was delicious, and it was great to see that everything was vegan. Not a particularly large place, so don't go with a big group! My wife enjoyed the lentil burger. Everything comes in a nice wholemeal homemade pita. Well worth the visit.

Pros: yummy
Cons: not cheap
viacapricorn
viacapricorn

Vegan Favorite

5 Posted on 09 / 25 / 2008

I love love love this place! Since I discovered Taam Hachaim I go at least once a week. Everything I try is good. They have a few pasta dishes with a soy cheese they make. One of the hardest things for me about being a vegan is missing the cheese...and this place came up with the best tasting imitation I have ever tried.

Dear Owner and Manager of Taam Hachaim - Taste of Life: