Serves meat, veg options available. More upscale setting with bar. Thai food menu offering tofu as protein possibility. Ask for "strictly vegetarian" and kitchen will leave out fish sauce and cook your food in a pan separate from non-veg dishes. Try the green curry and the avocado curry noodle. Price: Expensive more-less
Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg
1200 Oak St (12th)
Eugene, Oregon 97401
541-343-1230

Open Mon-Fri 11am-3pm, 4:30-10pm, Sat-Sun 12-10pm.

First Review by XoDamienne
Soul2Soul Educare
Soul2Soul Educare

Authentic Great Tasting Food!

4 Posted on 07 / 07 / 2013

I wish we had a Thai restaurant like this one in my home town. We were so pleasantly surprised eating here. They specifically state on their menu to let them know if you are strict vegetarian so they can leave out fish sauce and cook your food in separate pots.They had many veg options on their menu. Plus me being raised in Asia, I know what authentic Thai food should taste like, and this food hit the spot! They give you a choice of mild, medium and hot, and their spice level is real - so don't ask for hot unless you can really eat hot food! For us mild was enough and gave us just the right amount of spice and flavor. We ordered the pad thai noodles, green curry and a tofu dish - all three was just delicious and super fragrant! If this place was in my home town I would frequent it on a regular basis! Plus the service was excellent and the ambience of the place was lovely.

Pros: No fish sauce, Lots to choose from, Great Service
LaurieAdrienne
LaurieAdrienne

Delicious

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2010

Very happy we stopped here for dinner based on Happy Cow reviews. The food was excellent. It arrived very quickly and portions were large.

It was clear that only fresh vegetables were used. We ordered the avocado/vegetable green curry and pad khee mao. Pad khee mao was very good, and the curry was one of the best Thai dishes my husband and I can remember eating. We don't live locally which is a shame, but we will certainly dine here anytime we're in the area.

Service was a bit inattentive, though it was acceptable and pleasant. The food made up for any lack in service though.

Pros: Good prices, Large portions, Delicious
Cons: Somewhat inattentive service
kindlizard
kindlizard

Careful! can be good, can be not vegan

4 Posted on 08 / 23 / 2009

So a mixed review. On one hand, I eat here often enough to know one of the owners by name and face. I bring meat eaters here when we both want something, even by ourselves too. However, I don't agree with them being listed here on Happy Cow. Eugene has plenty of places that focus on veg dining. I am less than convinced about the claim that they have separate areas for prep and cooking vegan items in the kitchen. I have been left to wonder if I have had a hit of some fish sauce a few times, and even on occasion had it in there, knew right away and had the waiter tell me that he thought only my entree was vegan but not the salad. So its tricky. While I go here, I don't know if I would post it on a veg website to encourage others to try it out. I encourage random vegans to try places I know they won't be ill at, know they will have a safe and enjoyable time. While this can happen here, I don't know if it is always the case. Also, within the year, they have raised all entrees by $1. It makes a difference after a while.

They are always packed, which is a good sign for freshness. On the other hand, it makes me also worry that they are to busy to keep vegan items isolated.

The phad kee mao, #64, is one of the best you can get anywhere. The phad thai is very solid. The Phad gao ka prik is very good. They also have some specials that are very good. Cashew noodles, avocado curry, also. Careful w the curries, a few may not be vegan-able. Careful also w spice, they mean it. I used to take it extra hot, but I think in part to this place, have actually weakened my tolerance for it, so just take it easy. Also, the fresh/garden salad rolls are amazing apps.

So while I eat here often and usually enjoy it, there are times when I have not. If you are willing to take the risk, it can be the best Thai I have had anywhere in the country. But since the webmaster decided to list this despite my protests, just buyer beware is all. I am not sure it is always as clean or kosher for vegans as they may claim, which I hate to say since they are so nice.

Also, when buying beers w dinner, they give you a 22oz beer for $7.50, or something crazy like that. Its a bit overboard.

While I give 4 cows, please go at your own risk. Stress vegan, no egg, no fish sauce, ask about prep etc. Clarify all dishes, each dish. Careful.

Pros: best Thai place in country, staff, salad rolls
Cons: not convinced of prep, cook w/o fishsauc, getting spendy, beers too big n pricey, AC too high often,
XoDamienne
XoDamienne

Best All-time Thai Food

4 Posted on 08 / 21 / 2009

This is the best restaurant in Eugene and the best Thai food I've ever had. Sooo good. Extensive vegetarian menu - just ask for "strictly vegetarian." Wonderful service, reasonably priced. Their green curry/avocado curry is superb. But so is everything else.

Pros: Delicious food, Good Value, Fabulous service
Cons: none
  • kindlizard kindlizard

It is not an "extensive vegetarian menu" like you claim. That is very misleading. It is a normal menu that says it can be made veggie. There is a significant difference. INTENTION

• XoDamienne XoDamienne

Really? I have not yet found a larger tasty vegetarian menu in Eugene. I guess you could say laughing planet or lotus garden, but then I don't find them very tasty/good value. For being a restaurant that caters to pretty much all diet types, I would say their veggie menu is pretty extensive - especially when you consider their willingness/ability to adapt most things on their large menu to a vegetarian diet.

Dear Owner and Manager of Ta Ra Rin: